Chris Simms- good and detailed breakdown of Allen’s struggles vs Houston

dave mcbride

25 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

@Einstein

Do you still feel the minority is right that Allen didn’t play bad?

100%.

His play was a result of non-stop pressure and receivers not gaining separation. 

You can make a video of any QB from any game, and focus on a few plays where they missed a guy. The entire video literally showed 3 or 4 plays… out of 60+ the offense ran.

Super lazy analysis too (and I like Simms). Like pointing out Cook being open after Allen already moved on from that progression and was flushed to his right by the blitzer. Yeah, with his back turned he’s not throwing to Cook. I suppose he could have thrown it up on first read, hoping Cook beats the guy (and doesn’t drop it).

IMG-3955.jpg

And on this play, when Allen decides where to throw (before his wind-up), the receiver was parallel with the CB and Allen saw the safety coming down. Maybe he fits it in. Or maybe it gets picked off. You can tell he is working on not getting INT’ed.

IMG-3956.jpg

So yeah, anyone can make a video of 3 or 4 plays (out of 60-something) and take strategic screenshots that ignores the full context of the play.

Edited by Einstein
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

Simms didn't say anything that many of us have not already said. Josh played a really really bad game, the deep shot to Hollins was a bad pass, he rushed his decisions, and the WRs simply aren't good enough.  

Good news is Josh will play better

Possible good news - Shakir will be back at some point and Coleman has made a few plays to think he could be more productive as the season goes on

Bad news - the rest of the Bills WR are never going to get any better

Possible very bad news - I'm not sure Brady is good enough to scheme our way to success. So far in five games he has not shown the ability to effectively use our two TEs.  Knox did not get this bad.  He is a good player that is not being used.  Kincaid is not this bad.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The two worst games I have seen Allen play was at Green Bay in 2018 and this past Sunday.  

I really, I really hope we meet Houston again in the playoffs.  He isn't playing like that again. 

With how bad we played on Sunday and still should have won....I don't think it's close the second time.

There is something wrong with Josh and it's clear.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Diggs losing a playoff game in Buffalo would warm my heart.

I really thought they were gonna lose this one because they decided to force a ball to diggs which would’ve been pretty great haha that would definitely be better though 

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

100%.

His play was a result of non-stop pressure and receivers not gaining separation. 

You can make a video of any QB from any game, and focus on a few plays where they missed a guy. 

I think when qbs get pressured a bit they lose confidence in the oline then start pressing and it throws them all out of whack.  He might’ve played bad because the oline let him down a few times early but it’s still

pretty justifiable to say he played bad 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

100%.

You can make a video of any QB from any game, and focus on a few plays where they missed a guy. 

Wow! you must have watched a different game than most of us.  I'm not absolving Brady or the WRs in any way but Josh was awful.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I think Sunday was nothing more than trying to show off and impress his ex.

Just like when we rolled into LA for the 2021 opener, and Allen attacked the Rams with reckless abandon to show that it should have been the Bills in the Super Bowl after 13 seconds. The difference is, that time it worked. Whether through more luck, or more skill (at WR), or likely some of both.

From what I saw Sunday (and unfortunately rewatched last night on NFLN) Allen went in trying to prove something. Trying to show off. Trying to show he can make magic happen with his arm-arrogance. Trying to prove he doesnt need a #1 WR. But it wasnt clicking.

The hero ball on the last possession while the coaches were yelling for a 1st down pretty much proves this.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 5

you can see that Allen has no trust in his WRs. He's tentative and not making throws he would make if Diggs were on the other end.

I could also see on each of those throws that were highlighted how Josh was also probably being extra safe with CBs or S that might come off their man to make a play. He just had no faith or conviction in the game plan. He was totally lost.

He also has always had a maddening tendency to miss deep touch passes. You saw that with the Hollins overthrow (although a good WR would have caught it) and the Kincaid underthrow.  Placement was just off. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I still don’t get this specific ‘bad josh’ take though lol. He was pretty bad for a big stretch of last year and has a couple games like that Houston one every year.  

none of this was new 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Yep, he struggled. I saw at least two dropped interceptions for him, too. And the protection was not as bad as everyone was saying. He bailed the pocket too soon and both the Ravens and the Texans were waiting for that and broke to him quickly to not allow him time to scramble and find a throw.

Josh can shred teams from the pocket, but every so often he reverts to his old self of bailing from the pocket instead of stepping up in the pocket, or sensing pressure when it isn't there.

Now, sometimes there was pressure, especially early. If I am a defensive coach playing Buffalo, I am doing everything I can to get pressure on him early in a game, because he'll be rushed and uneasy for the rest of the game whether there is pressure or not.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

100%.

Super lazy analysis too (and I like Simms). Like pointing out Cook being open after Allen already moved on from that progression and was flushed to his right by the blitzer. Yeah, with his back turned he’s not throwing to Cook. I suppose he could have thrown it up on first read, hoping Cook beats the guy (and doesn’t drop it).

IMG-3955.jpg

That's not what he said at all and you are not analyzing the play correctly. He said Cook was going to be open because the LB was running horizontally and Cook was already going upfield.  He has to know/trust that Cook is going to beat that LB. That is a missed TD from an absolutely clean pocket. If he had stayed on Cook that ball would have already been thrown by the time this picture was taken. 

• Agree 1

100%.

Okay…Baldinger and Simms are wrong.

What about PFF in which you defend is great.  They graded Allen him very poorly.  Are they wrong too?

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2024/10/how-josh-allen-and-his-weapons-graded-out-in-buffalo-bills-loss-to-houston-texans.html?outputType=amp

7 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

What's wrong is he is a human and plays badly sometimes. There is no reason to start believing in conspiracy theories.

• Agree 2

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

What about PFF in which you defend is great.  They graded Allen him very poorly.  Are they wrong too?

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2024/10/how-josh-allen-and-his-weapons-graded-out-in-buffalo-bills-loss-to-houston-texans.html?outputType=amp

Im not sure what you mean - no one is arguing that his play looked poor. The point is that it’s only because of the o-line and receivers. No QB in NFL history would have looked good with the compliments we put out there on Sunday. Not Brady. Not Manning. Not Mahomes. Not Montana. They all would have stunk. But it wouldn’t have been from their doing - it would have been from the pieces around them failing them.

• Vomit 1

12 minutes ago, Einstein said:

100%.

You can make a video of any QB from any game, and focus on a few plays where they missed a guy. The entire video literally showed 3 or 4 plays… out of 60+ the offense ran.

IMG-3955.jpg

And on this play, when Allen decides where to throw (before his wind-up), the receiver was parallel with the CB and Allen saw the safety coming down. Maybe he fits it in. Or maybe it gets picked off. You can tell he is working on not getting INT’ed.

IMG-3956.jpg

He didn't have non-stop pressure, though. That's just not accurate.

• Agree 1

100%.

IMG-3955.jpg

I think the point Simms makes there is that Allen needed to throw the ball already. The play worked as designed. The silent part is that the freeze frame is that moving on to look at the other side of the field where everybody is covered forces the OL to block longer than needed. The freeze frame you show is Cook 15 yards from the LOS. We are well into this play before the OL hints at allowing pressure. 

Allen often gets away with holding the ball too long because of he can either out athlete players on the defense himself or he can throw a laser. It often puts a lot of pressure for WR's to catch a tough ball or the OL to block longer than needed. But sometimes he also makes magic happen. There is certainly some give and take. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Im not sure what you mean - no one is arguing that his play looked poor. The point is that it’s only because of the o-line and receivers. No QB in NFL history would have looked good with the compliments we put out there on Sunday. Not Brady. Not Manning. Not Mahomes. Not Montana. They all would have stunk. But it wouldn’t have been from their doing - it would have been from the pieces around them failing them.

Brady would have shredded them, because he was happy taking the short easy passes all game long. He was great at maneuvering in the pocket. He stayed calm.

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Mango said:

I think the point Simms makes there is that Allen needed to throw the ball already. The play worked as designed. The silent part is that the freeze frame is that moving on to look at the other side of the field where everybody is covered forces the OL to block longer than needed. The freeze frame you show is Cook 15 yards from the LOS. We are well into this play before the OL hints at allowing pressure. 

Allen often gets away with holding the ball too long because of he can either out athlete players on the defense himself or he can throw a laser. It often puts a lot of pressure for WR's to catch a tough ball or the OL to block longer than needed. But sometimes he also makes magic happen. There is certainly some give and take. 

Good post, but you realize that you're arguing with someone ready to die on the Allen-was-not-to-blame hill, right? 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

You are picking the wrong week to defend Allen

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Einstein played more big-time college and NFL QB than Simms and coached longer with Belichick than the latter, so you have to factor that in.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I haven’t gaslighted myself enough to relive that game yet. 

I would watch 13 seconds 5x over before I watch sundays game again, at least 13 seconds was exciting and the offense was doing stuff.