Chris Simms- good and detailed breakdown of Allen’s struggles vs Houston

20 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This is where math can help us figure out what will actually happen. That way we wont have to guess.

- Let's say Cook is running West at 4.5 yards per 40 yards (8.89 yards per second)

- Defender on Coleman is is 8 yards further west of Cook and 4 yards North and lets say he starts from rest (he isnt moving)

- Both players run at the same speed: 4.5 seconds per 40 yards (8.89 yards per second)

When do they reach the same position? Well, we have a kinematics equation we can use to start that process.

v^2 = v0^2 + 2(a)(x)

First let's figure out acceleration... 8.89^2 = 0 + 2a * 4 ...  79.08/8 = that's 9.88 yards/second accel

Then we have to figure out how fast Defender on Coleman can accelerate the 4 yards South to meet the same axis as Cook ... v = v0 + (a)(t)

8.89 = 0 + 9.88 (t) = 0.9 seconds.

During the 0.9 seconds that Defender on Coleman takes to go from standing still to reaching the axis of X, Cook who as you said is already running at full speed will cover 8.89 × 0.9 = 8.0 yards.

Cook started 8 yards back from the Defender on Coleman. 

So even though Cook makes up 8 yards in the time it takes the Defender on Coleman to go from standing still, to accelerating to the X axis that Cook is running on, they will reach intersection at approximately the same time and about the same speed.

In other words, the Defender would have absolutely caught up to Cook IF he leaves the second Josh decides to throw the ball.

Obviously there are some other variables involved. For example, stumbles, slips, yada yada.

The "eye test" for judging time and distance is notoriously unreliable. Always turn to math when possible.

You can do all the math you want, but I’m telling you Coleman’s defender cannot take away both the long and the short pass. He has to commit to one or the other. If it was to take away Cook, his hips would’ve remained parallel to the LoS and he would’ve been ready to sprint with him just as Coleman reached his stopping point. If it was to take away Coleman… well, we already see that evidence here. He stays glued to him, there’s no thought of bailing that responsibility to take away the throw downfield that would fall into Cook’s hands. It takes less than a second for Josh to wind up and throw the ball. Human reaction time would’ve had the defender taking off from Coleman while the ball was in the air, not when Josh pulled it back to throw. At that point it’s already too late for him because he committed to taking away Coleman.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The first thing I put was schematic issues.  Im guessing in your mind he didn’t say a single negative thing about Allen.

You are so incredibly hypersensitive about any Allen criticism.  
Allen wasn’t the main issue but he also didn’t play well either.  Both can be true.  When you read this, you hear “Allen was the only issue.”  

Stop being so emotional.

lol emotional

from the guy who dramaclicks disagree on plain as day game film
🤡

Just now, Brand J said:

You can do all the math you want, but I’m telling you Coleman’s defender cannot take away both the long and the short pass. He has to commit to one or the other. If it was to take away Cook, his hips would’ve remained parallel to the LoS and he would’ve been ready to sprint with him just as Coleman reached his stopping point. If it was to take away Coleman… well, we already see that evidence here. He stays glued to him, there’s no thought of bailing that responsibility to take away the throw downfield that would fall into Cook’s hands. It takes less than a second for Josh to wind up and throw the ball. Human reaction time would’ve had the defender taking off from Coleman while the ball was in the air, not when Josh pulled it back to throw. At that point it’s already too late for him because he committed to taking away Coleman.

He is trying too hard and he obviously doesn’t understand the game if he is going to that level.

• Agree 1

Just now, Brand J said:

You can do all the math you want, but I’m telling you Coleman’s defender cannot take away both the long and the short pass. 

He doesn't need to!

He covers Coleman until Allen begins his throw and then he leaves Coleman. He doesnt need to cover the low when the low is no longer a threat.

This is not rocket science. It happens all the time in the NFL. And because of the positioning (Coleman not slanting deep enough), he was in perfect position to intercept Cooks route.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes emotional.

There are people who understand film better than you who disagree.  But you are right and everyone who disagrees is wrong.

If Simms actually analyzed the film, he wouldn't have said what he said. The problem is that he has to talk about 32 teams so he went with what the intern gave him. I said it before - but notice how most of the plays he showed was beginning of the game? That's because they started the game film and just grabbed the first 3 or so plays they saw an open player on. This is cut and paste journalism. 31 other teams to get to.

So its not that Simms is dumb. He is smart. He knows football. The problem is that he didnt actually analyze the play.

Just now, Einstein said:

He doesn't need to!

He covers Coleman until Allen begins his throw and then he leaves Coleman. He doesnt need to cover the low when the low is no longer a threat.

This is not rocket science. It happens all the time in the NFL. And because of the positioning (Coleman not slanting deep enough), he was in perfect position to intercept Cooks route.

You don’t understand that it’s how the defender is covering Coleman that matters here. When defenders peel off their primary (short) responsibility to take away a pass thrown down the field, they give themselves the room they’ll need to turn and run with that player. Here, the defender on Coleman is in his hip pocket, he’s plastered all over him. All his attention is on taking away that pass. He cannot then turn and run with a player sprinting past him as the ball is in the air. No human can. If his intention was to take away Cook, the coverage would’ve been looser and Josh could’ve hit Coleman. You can decide what you want to take away, but you can’t aggressively take away both.

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

If Simms actually analyzed the film, he wouldn't have said what he said. The problem is that he has to talk about 32 teams so he went with what the intern gave him. I said it before - but notice how most of the plays he showed was beginning of the game? That's because they started the game film and just grabbed the first 3 or so plays they saw an open player on. This is cut and paste journalism. 31 other teams to get to.

So its not that Simms is dumb. He is smart. He knows football. The problem is that he didnt actually analyze the play.

You don’t know how much he analyzed it or not.  

You know who did analyze it a lot?  PFF and they graded him very poorly on his passing game.  Why are continuously ignoring that?  You didn’t with Mack Hollins but are with Allen you are.

You know, the same site you have mocked others for when they disagree with because they have ex coaches and players who know a lot more than us….

It’s not that I think Josh Allen was not due some criticism for his performance against Houston, but I did not find this analysis from Simms particularly helpful or insightful.  Still pictures? Really?  How about we evaluate the whole play.  I can drawer any conclusions I want from a still picture frame at a point in time.  Apparently so can Chris Simms.   He should do better.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No you don’t because he isn’t the only one.  Like PFF and Gunner.  Are they lazy and wrong too?  

Lol this is the first time i’ve seen someone reference another poster here as a source. And i’m not sure if you’ve noticed, but Gunnar has begun to soften his stance on this topic. Give me a few more days and I may have him completely converted.

As for Simms, it’s pretty clear he didn’t analyze the play because he completely misrepresented it. He didn’t even mention Coleman not clearing his defender. Or the missed run.

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Lol this is the first time i’ve seen someone reference another poster here as a source. And i’m not sure if you’ve noticed, but Gunnar has begun to soften his stance on this topic. Give me a few more days and I may have him completely converted.

As for Simms, it’s pretty clear he didn’t analyze the play because he completely misrepresented it. He didn’t even mention Coleman not clearing his defender. Or the missed run.

Are you really this chicken **** to answer my PFF question?  

Gunner as of an hour ago hasn’t changed his mind.  Its not changing.

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are you really this chicken **** to answer my PFF question?  

Gunner as of an hour ago hasn’t changed his mind.  Its not changing.

The PFF question is irrelevant to the conversation. No person, scout, coach, service or otherwise is right 100% of the time.

What separates the good from the bad is their track record over time.

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Stop protecting Simms. He was terrible in this analysis. Yes there are valid reasons as to why, maybe he's working w a new film intern or just had a bad day. It's weird how any criticism of Simms is met w such hostility. Blah blah blah

lol-  stop saying Josh didn’t suck last Sunday.  He was horrible.  He’d be the first one to agree

3 hours ago, Brand J said:

The only chance, the ONLY chance, Coleman’s defender had to take Cook out of the play is if he and the LB communicated before the snap to switch off (which would’ve been highly unlikely given the player each is guarding). In that instance we all would’ve saw the DB bail on Coleman once he settles and start sprinting back to defend Cook on the long ball. Here he stays tight on his responsibility and remains in Coleman’s hip pocket, so he has zero chance of playing any upfield pass that goes to Cook. Not even Usain Bolt or Christian Coleman could’ve got to Cook flat footed like that. Wouldn’t even happen in a video game with speed levels at 99.

Right.  But Josh wasn’t bad on Sunday, so we must be wrong

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Read the last sentence in his post lol.

Not to mention, earlier in this thread, Einstein called PFF ridiculous with their grade on Mack Hollins lmfao!

He still hasn’t answered my question about PFF grading Allen not just poorly, downright awful in his passing last game. 
Make it make sense.

You can’t make it make sense.

we’re all agreeing that our WR group is weak (ESPECIALLY without Shakir) and our coaching has been poor in the last two weeks.  Some realize that that can happen AND Josh can have a bad game because he made some bad choices and made some poor throws.  Others think they are god-like and superior to 99% of the population that watched the game and thought he had a bad game because of multiple factors-  including his decisions and poor passes

11 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The PFF question is irrelevant to the conversation. No person, scout, coach, service or otherwise is right 100% of the time.

What separates the good from the bad is their track record over time.

So PFF is 100% absolutely wrong for giving Allen a very poor passing grade and you are 100% right that he wasn’t poor?  The same PFF that you laughed at people for because they are arguing against ex-coaches, ex-scouts and ex-players which you are clearly doing now?  

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Conversion therapy is almost never successful and its wildly unethical to boot.  Its 2024.  Get with the times.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

In what world do you need to be Usain Bolt to run less distance than another person?

The defender is 7 yards further downfield than Cook. He has a 7 yard head start, AND the angle. 

If you think it takes Usain Bolt to run the black line, faster than Cook runs the red line, then there is no point in discussing further.

yards.jpg

This is correct.

It's actually the entire design of the play.

Brady has 2 clear out routes - one on each side of the field.

The problem is that both failed. Coleman didnt slant far enough and Knox whiffed on his rub.

There may have been. No argument there. 

But you have to remember that Allen has to make a risk/reward choice here. 

He chose to move on to the rub on the other side. I don't blame him for that. It's only a lower percentage play because Knox missed his assignment. 

Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner! Winner! Winner!

Bingo.

For someone so smart you’re really oblivious to forward momentum.

the CB was moving with Coleman, he would’ve had to turn around and reach cooks speed in under a millisecond in order for your claim to be true.  Cook was already moving in that direction.  The corner had to stop, turn and run.  This really isn’t that difficult to grasp

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So PFF is 100% absolutely wrong for giving Allen a very poor passing grade and you are 100% right that he wasn’t poor?  The same PFF that you laughed at people for because they are arguing against ex-coaches, ex-scouts and ex-players which you are clearly doing now?  

If a train leaves Buffalo heading South and traveling at a speed of 60 mph and another train leaves Indianapolis heading East at a speed of 100 mph, how long before you find out that its all because of cognitive biases? 

• Haha (+1) 2