Chris Simms- good and detailed breakdown of Allen’s struggles vs Houston

11 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I visit a few other fan forums on a regular basis and it just seems to me that there is something different about the criticisms of Allen. 

I think you are just more sensitive to it. Every forum I visit more than half the topics after a defeat are about the Quarterback or the Coach.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think it did though. His worst season affecting injury came in that offense and he ran more than any other year in that offense. I contend it is just your perception.

He's more banged up through 5 games than he ever has been in his whole career

It's not my perception, it's reality

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He did suck on that final possession of the game, though, too. What the hell was he thinking on those first two choices? The play was there on third down but he got hit. To be fair, it's hard to block in the EZ because you simply can't do anything close to holding in that situation (it'd end the game), so I don't really blame Dawkins. 

I really didn't have a problem with the back shoulder to Coleman on 1st down. Against the Ravens that play had become automatic. The problem is Coleman looked back towards Allen way too early in the route which gave the CB an easy read.

When Coleman turns his head, the CB turns his head. The rep is lost at that point. He needs to sell the route vertically for a tick longer, but that's the kind of thing that happens when you're relying on an inexperienced rookie in a critical moment of a game. Allen is already gearing up to make an anticipatory throw before the rep is lost and it's not like he's going to go through his progressions in this situation. It's one read and throw the ball because that's what the coaches called.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That is fair but the worst season affecting injury he has had was vs the Jets in 2022 in Dorsey's offense. And it is a fact that 2022 despite a game fewer than a couple of other seasons was his highest total rushing attempts.

Those are also reality.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Probably a higher minor injury total but that right elbow injury on his throwing arm was absolutely the worst.  That was like borderline ‘can’t play through it’

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I'm not saying it isn't legitimate to criticize Allen in the immediate aftermath of the Texans game for his poor play contributing to the loss.  The post game thread is a great place to do it.  What I'm talking about is the OBSESSION in criticizing Allen after a poor game. By my count there are SIX threads that either are titled to be openly critical of Allen or were attempts to provide a different perspective on Allen taken over by those heavily criticizing the QB.

Why are so many threads and posts obsessing over Allen's poor performance in ONE freaking game?  Sorry but it's over the top. 

I do see one potential top 5 concern for the Bills about Allen going forward.  It's that maybe the Bills are doing to him what he Colts did to Andrew Luck.  If that has happened and I don't think it has then we should all get ready to welcome back the lost decades.

lol-  it’s the week after the game-  that’s what we do here.  We discuss what went well and what went wrong.  

Josh, our franchises most important player ever, had one of his worst games ever.  It’s going to be discussed a lot-  I don’t know what you mean by OBSESSION.  I think that’s a little weird

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

No surprises there 90% of this board doesn't know what they're seeing

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

lol-  it’s the week after the game-  that’s what we do here.  We discuss what went well and what went wrong.  

Josh, our franchises most important player ever, had one of his worst games ever.  It’s going to be discussed a lot-  I don’t know what you mean by OBSESSION.  I think that’s a little weird

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

Allen to the Niners for Purdy and 3 firsts

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills on this one haha I legitimately have no idea if this is a pro or anti josh post I’m about to make but he has several games like this one per year often with even better surrounding talent than he has now. 

anyone being like whoaaa where did this come from is very strange to me. Yea he was bad but he bounces back from games like this literally every season.  I guess this is a pro and anti josh post 😂

Oh, I'm a big Allen fan. in fact, I think he's not just better than Mahomes, I don't think there's any argument. People keep bringing up the hardware argument, which never impresses me. (Was Hostetler better than Marino?)

No, my point is that he may have gotten concussed in the Baltimore game and been playing with an addled pan, which got still more addled in the Houston game. If that's the case, I hope McDermott is smart enough to bench him. 

3 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

No it wasn't because my point has never been about single game outcomes but about season long or even multi season long outcomes.  My point is that bad games happen to every player and sometimes the team losses a game because of a key player having a bad day and I say so what.

My point is that at no time in the last 5 years have I thought that Allen was one of the top 5 or even top 10 problems facing the Bills.  He wasn't one of the top 10 issues facing the Bills after his bad game against the Jets, his even worse game against Jacksonville a few years ago or his poor game Sunday. Allen is the NUMBER ONE reason the Bills have made the playoffs the last 5 straight years. The NUMBER ONE reason they have won 4 straight Division titles and the NUMBER ONE reason NFL people view the Bills as a legitimate Super Bowl contender. Do you disagree?  If you do I would love to hear who you think fills that role.

I took your post to mean that Allen wasn’t one of the 5 contributing reasons to why we lost the Texans game. I also remember a similar post about his performance in the Jets game and thought that was you again, so my apologies there.

You understand that we fans live week to week. Posts that spring up on the board aren’t about the totality of whatever that player brings to the team, it’s about his performance in that given week. Why on earth would anyone harp about what Allen has done in the last 5 years when the Texans loss is what we’re discussing? That doesn’t make sense to me. Allen is the singular reason for why the Bills are relevant again… he’s also one of the contributing reasons for why the offense struggles to move the ball in losses. Both can be true. And he’s allowed to be criticized like any other player. To do so is not an obsession

Edited by Brand J

I love Allen. I don’t want any other QB.

He SUCKED on Sunday. It’s ok to say that even though he wasn’t the only reason we lost.

He’ll be better.

Edited by RunTheBall
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, uninja said:

Teams with good front 7's have been able to absolutely shred the Bills passing game. Brady runs what looks like a WCO style of passing game that's very predicated on short passes and timing. Teams seem to have found some weakness in the o-line and how they're calling protections, because they're not blitzing at a higher than normal rate yet they're still seeing too much pressure and rushers coming free. Teams have figured out that overloading the line and making the o-line make business decisions about who is going to rush and who is going to drop into coverage is a recipe for confusion up front, it's causing a breakdown in protection, which creates pressure, which forces the ball to come out quicker.

You can see it against BAL and HOU, a lot of blitz/pressure looks that just turn into normal 3-4 fronts when the ball is snapped and the confusion causes breakdowns in blocking, which forces Allen to get rid of the ball quicker. It also seems that if your team can do this to the Bills/Allen early in the game it kinda messes up Allen's internal clock and he starts getting happy feet and throwing before he should.

First, teams with good front sevens make it tough for everyone, passing game and run game.

But we've had some awful games against good front sevens and also some good games over the past few years.

The Texans DID blitz a lot. We still had guys open for shorter gains but this week Josh didn't go to them. Traditionally teams don't blitz him because Josh makes them pay. He did not do that yesterday.

Edited by Thurman#1

44 minutes ago, Brand J said:

I took your post to mean that Allen wasn’t one of the 5 contributing reasons to why we lost the Texans game. I also remember a similar post about his performance in the Jets game and thought that was you again, so my apologies there.

You understand that we fans live week to week. Posts that spring up on the board aren’t about the totality of whatever that player brings to the team, it’s about his performance in that given week. Why on earth would anyone harp about what Allen has done in the last 5 years when the Texans loss is what we’re discussing? That doesn’t make sense to me. Allen is the singular reason for why the Bills are relevant again… he’s also one of the contributing reasons for why the offense struggles to move the ball in losses. Both can be true. And he’s allowed to be criticized like any other player. To do so is not an obsession

Allen isn't the "singular" reason we're relevant. Like every team in history that was good, there are a lot of reasons for it.

But yeah, he's one of the best QBs in the league and having an elite QB means you've got a chance to be competitive every season.

Agreed with the rest of your post. Some on here do find any Josh criticism to be blasphemous in some strange way.

Edited by Thurman#1

56 minutes ago, Brand J said:

We as fans supporting the Buffalo Bills will always stick up for their guy. Especially if his name is Josh Allen.  But that 9/30 performance was historically bad.  You can justify several reasons why he was off?  OL 43% pressure rate, playcalling, wrs still struggling, possible concussion.....but missing several makeable throws has to be included. Josh is going to have some off days and that's just the fact.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, uninja said:

You can see it against BAL and HOU, a lot of blitz/pressure looks that just turn into normal 3-4 fronts when the ball is snapped and the confusion causes breakdowns in blocking, which forces Allen to get rid of the ball quicker. It also seems that if your team can do this to the Bills/Allen early in the game it kinda messes up Allen's internal clock and he starts getting happy feet and throwing before he should.

We may have gained better run blocking for the running we want to do, with the change from Morse to McGovern at C.

But we also lost something, and all that experience at diagnosing pressure looks and choosing the correct blocking schemes is likely to be one of the things we lost.

It's probably worth considering that Diggs knows Allen's tendencies inside and out from years of practice and watching film together.  He knows what Allen struggles with.  So I'm sure he fed a lot of info to Houston's D about what to dial up that Allen would struggle with decoding.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That is fair but the worst season affecting injury he has had was vs the Jets in 2022 in Dorsey's offense. And it is a fact that 2022 despite a game fewer than a couple of other seasons was his highest total rushing attempts.

Those are also reality.

His worst injury was his elbow injury vs the Texans in 2018.

21 hours ago, Einstein said:

Yes. And it’s evident all over the All-22 if anyone cares to look. Some of it comes down to what the Texans did on defenses - they squatted on all the short stuff and that really made it hard because of the way Brady runs the offense with small ball.

There was absolutely nothing easy for Josh to take.

And the few times someone would finally get open, he was being flushed from the pocket by an unblocked blitzer.

Now, one criticism that I think is fair, is toward the end of the game, he started to flush himself from the pocket when he didn’t need to. But I think this is just the natural result of him being pressured relentlessly the first 3/4 of the game. 

There was plenty of easy choices for him to take. That’s a lot of people’s issue with him.  He either ignored it or struggled to anticipate it coming open.  

The one Simms said he should have thrown to Cook that you keep disagreeing with was lack of anticipation. He should be able to understand leverage and momentum but he struggles with it at times. Big reason why RAC was poor most of his career. 

• Like (+1) 1