Chris Simms- good and detailed breakdown of Allen’s struggles vs Houston

dave mcbride

https://www.nbcsports.com/watch/nfl/chris-simms-unbuttoned/how-josh-allens-recent-struggles-continued-vs-houston-texans

A lot of breakdowns of individual failed passing plays. Key points: he made some bad choices by not taking easy throws; he was not trusting what he was seeing and was off his clock. Inaccurate too. Simms says he rushed the throw to Hollins by throwing it too early; bad throw by Allen.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/watch/nfl/chris-simms-unbuttoned/how-josh-allens-recent-struggles-continued-vs-houston-texans

A lot of breakdowns of individual failed passing plays. Key points: he made some bad choices by not taking easy throws; he was not trusting what he was seeing and was off his clock. Inaccurate too. Simms says he rushed the throw to Hollins by throwing it too early; bad throw by Allen.

The two worst games I have seen Allen play was at Green Bay in 2018 and this past Sunday.  

I really, I really hope we meet Houston again in the playoffs.  He isn't playing like that again. 

With how bad we played on Sunday and still should have won....I don't think it's close the second time.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

Teams with good front 7's have been able to absolutely shred the Bills passing game. Brady runs what looks like a WCO style of passing game that's very predicated on short passes and timing. Teams seem to have found some weakness in the o-line and how they're calling protections, because they're not blitzing at a higher than normal rate yet they're still seeing too much pressure and rushers coming free. Teams have figured out that overloading the line and making the o-line make business decisions about who is going to rush and who is going to drop into coverage is a recipe for confusion up front, it's causing a breakdown in protection, which creates pressure, which forces the ball to come out quicker.

You can see it against BAL and HOU, a lot of blitz/pressure looks that just turn into normal 3-4 fronts when the ball is snapped and the confusion causes breakdowns in blocking, which forces Allen to get rid of the ball quicker. It also seems that if your team can do this to the Bills/Allen early in the game it kinda messes up Allen's internal clock and he starts getting happy feet and throwing before he should.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

I’ll save everyone the watch: Allen was fine. He was pressured non-stop and no receivers could gain separation.

No-  he was the worst player on the field not named Cam Lewis

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, uninja said:

Teams with good front 7's have been able to absolutely shred the Bills passing game. Brady runs what looks like a WCO style of passing game that's very predicated on short passes and timing. Teams seem to have found some weakness in the o-line and how they're calling protections, because they're not blitzing at a higher than normal rate yet they're still seeing too much pressure and rushers coming free. Teams have figured out that overloading the line and making the o-line make business decisions about who is going to rush and who is going to drop into coverage is a recipe for confusion up front, it's causing a breakdown in protection, which creates pressure, which forces the ball to come out quicker.

You can see it against BAL and HOU, a lot of blitz/pressure looks that just turn into normal 3-4 fronts when the ball is snapped and the confusion causes breakdowns in blocking, which forces Allen to get rid of the ball quicker. It also seems that if your team can do this to the Bills/Allen early in the game it kinda messes up Allen's internal clock and he starts getting happy feet and throwing before he should.

I really thought coming into this season, we would run a sort of WCO style hybrid. We have the WR's that can create YAC, however, that means very little if they can't initially create separation and get open.

Every team knows we have no deep threat and will rely heavily on the slants and crossers over the middle, so they bullrush the line creating havoc and throwing off any rhythm and timing we were ever hoping to have and the rest is what we've seen the past 2 weeks.......expect to see it more now that teams have caught on and i don't have faith in Brady to adjust any time soon.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The two worst games I have seen Allen play was at Green Bay in 2018 and this past Sunday.  

I really, I really hope we meet Houston again in the playoffs.  He isn't playing like that again. 

With how bad we played on Sunday and still should have won....I don't think it's close the second time.

Game 1 against the Jets last year was pretty bad. He also looked like he was starting his first NFL game in that one. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Good video. For those who think Brady's gameplan shat the bed, watch the video. Josh bears a lot of responsibility for the result.

He is 1st ballot HOF but that was Peterman bad.

Yep.  Allen is great, top 2 best player in the NFL for the last 4 or so years.  When he plays bad, it's okay to say it.  Some people just don't think he should ever have criticism.

3 minutes ago, Brand J said:

Game 1 against the Jets last year was pretty bad. He also looked like he was starting his first NFL game in that one. 

Good call.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Brian Baldinger ripped on Allen this morning on the radio.  Said the 3 passes out of the end zone at the end was not only horrible coaching, but the first couple throws were like hail mary's, just terrible passes, and the 3rd was short of an open guy.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I really thought coming into this season, we would run a sort of WCO style hybrid. We have the WR's that can create YAC, however, that means very little if they can't initially create separation and get open.

Every team knows we have no deep threat and will rely heavily on the slants and crossers over the middle, so they bullrush the line creating havoc and throwing off any rhythm and timing we were ever hoping to have and the rest is what we've seen the past 2 weeks.......expect to see it more now that teams have caught on and i don't have faith in Brady to adjust any time soon.

You beat/tame the rush/pressure by running at it and throwing over it. My concern is the line play, communication between Allen and McGovern isn’t setting the blocking up right.  

seems consistent w what alpha said the other day and marino said on his podcast.  aside from the poor recognition/play by the ol in passing downs, being behind the sticks, and bad outside talent, allen took the cheese and was off of his reads to quick/went for the deeper shot too much vs what was more certain.

i think the bottom line is if you give allen an in he takes a mile, but if you confuse or rattle him early he falters to type where he goes deep and greedy and does not take what is there.  allen wants to hit like 10-25 yards down field during confusion, he's the best i've ever seen at that.  the d's know this and are trying to make him mistime underneath stuff (rushing as well as not hitting the freebies underneath) or dare him to make accurate passes down field.  the big issue yesterday for allen was he failed to make some available plays within the scheme of the O, which i think is because his OC set him up for a world of hurt vs baltimore and he just doesn't trust it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Brian Baldinger ripped on Allen this morning on the radio.  Said the 3 passes out of the end zone at the end was not only horrible coaching, but the first couple throws were like hail mary's, just terrible passes, and the 3rd was short of an open guy.

I remember Dan Orlovsky last year said that Allen needs to “grow up,” after that Jets performance. Said he literally holds the future of the staff in his hands with every throw he attempts. This game against Houston was another one of those mind-numbingly bad games he seems to have every year and I don’t get it. A 7 year vet who at this point has seen every defense you want to throw at him, by all accounts is very smart, can literally make any throw on the field, but is still getting taken to the wood shed mentally. Regardless of whatever offensive system he’s in, or who he’s surrounded by, his floor should be much higher than this and I don’t understand why it’s not. If you could be a fly on the wall in the box where Brady calls the game, no doubt he’s said at least once “he (Josh) is killing us.”

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

I suggested changing the offensive philosophy all together and taking the ball out of Josh's hands and everyone laughed.

I'm telling you right now, we need to adopt a Detroit Lions Gibbs/Montgomery type of offense for Josh or it's only going to get worse year by year.

Josh is uber talented, but he is not going to gunsling this team to a Super Bowl.  I've said it 1,000 times.  

My comparison for Josh has always been John Elway and like Elway, he's going to need a stout running game to get this team over the hump.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Agree, Houston doesn't worry me at all. Allen played as bad as he possibly can and we still could have won. Houston are pretenders IMO. We'll get them next time (hopefully in Buffalo). 

24 minutes ago, Brand J said:

I’m as pro josh as a lot of people but he has a couple games like this per year.  Sometimes it’s masked by the defense playing super well or receivers making a couple plays that they didn’t in this one where we win so nobody reads into it too much.  

• Agree 2