Do you pick up your phone when it rings?

Another Fan

For me unless it’s a contact I know it’s a no.  Scammers these days are even more sophisticated being able to use local area numbers when the call number shows on the phone.  

And anyway that’s why there’s voicemail. 

At work sometimes I do it too.  There’s a vendor chasing where I work down for money.  I don’t answer when this particular vendor calls.  It’s an issue above me at work but yeah a conversation like that I need all my ducts in a row before I engage.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I'm looking for work, so currently yes. I do pick it up. I'm glad I did too. The NYS Unemployment Office called me, but it came up as spam. I answered it, and they are releasing (finally) my claim so I can get benefits. They were on hold because some jerk-off filed Unemployment in my name in 2021, and my current claim was on hold while it was investigated.

First of all, I often curse when my phone rings these days. There is nobody I really want to talk to. It’s also rarely good news, more like my mother fell again. If you’re not in my contact list, I’m not answering. They virtually never leave a voicemail for me to delete.

• Like (+1) 1

Cell phone and home phone?  I won’t pickup unless I know who it is. Otherwise, that’s what voicemail is for.  Frequently won’t answer even if I know who it is.

Wife freaks out whenever the home phone rings. Has to tell me the number and can’t control herself and wants to pick it up.  If it’s a scammer, she will be super polite. She doesn’t get once you pick up a call like that, your number is now on the call list and expect more!

People I know out of town I have by name on phone. Don't answer out of area cals. Let them go to voicemail. iPhone transcribes voicemails. If  important I will call back. Glad I memorized the transplant clinic number. You have about an hour or so to accept or refuse the kidney. Picked it up the second they called.  Have about 4 hrs to get there. Since I am 5 miles away, was there in about 1 hour.  Had to call sister for a ride there and pack a go bag.

• Like (+1) 1

Unless they’re in my contacts (where it shows the name) hellllll no.

Especially this time of year / election cycle.

Getting a LOT from Red Cross too — used to give blood regularly, nearly two gallons over several years — but started a med last year that’s on their ineligible list. They blood banks are really low in recent months.

I never answer a call from a number I don't know.     My mom, on the other hand,  (84) will answer EVERY CALL that she gets on her landline (yes, still has it) and her cell phone.  They're mainly spam calls but a few are people trying to scam her saying they're her grandson and they got arrested.  Tell her to go to best buy to get $500 in gift cards to bail them out.   WTF is wrong with people?   Mom's cousin actually fell for that type of call and thankfully the person at best buy told her it's a scam.  

6 minutes ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

I never answer a call from a number I don't know.     My mom, on the other hand,  (84) will answer EVERY CALL that she gets on her landline (yes, still has it) and her cell phone.  They're mainly spam calls but a few are people trying to scam her saying they're her grandson and they got arrested.  Tell her to go to best buy to get $500 in gift cards to bail them out.   WTF is wrong with people?   Mom's cousin actually fell for that type of call and thankfully the person at best buy told her it's a scam.  

My buddy’s father-in-law got taken for like $5-8k by a similar scam. The “grandson” needed bail money after hitting a lady with his car. Then the price went up because she was pregnant and the baby died. He was incredibly embarrassed so he didn’t want to tell anybody. People can be pure evil preying on the elderly. 

• Sad 1

On 10/15/2024 at 12:05 PM, Augie said:

My buddy’s father-in-law got taken for like $5-8k by a similar scam. The “grandson” needed bail money after hitting a lady with his car. Then the price went up because she was pregnant and the baby died. He was incredibly embarrassed so he didn’t want to tell anybody. People can be pure evil preying on the elderly. 

First world problems.

There's a way to prevent that issue.  Don't have that much money.  Can't get blood out of a stone.  Problem solved.

They will learn real fast NOT to call me. 😆 

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

First world problems.

There's a way to prevent that issue.  Don't have that much money.  Can't get blood out of a stone.  Problem solved.

They will learn real fast NOT to call me. 😆 

So are you saying this is a situation where a Nigerian Prince really can be helpful to me? I may need to reconsider things…..

• Like (+1) 1