Who starts at safety this week?

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Definitely Rapp. He is the best of a bad bunch on the evidence so far. I'd be tempted to stick with Bishop next to him but think they both want to play more as a strong safety. 

Situational rotation , might be wise

Haven't seen anything from Bishop yet that convinces me his good plays are enough to make up for the bad plays.  In his limited regular season action I have him as grossly out of position on 2 scores and 2 other long pickups.

His best play may be better than Hamlin and/or Rapp but with his mistakes are a liability right now, especially against a QB like Rodgers.

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

why do you choose Edwards. Not doubting you , just asking.

He’s made plays on good teams. He felt like Poyer in that he had a lot going on minus the opportunity. I was willing to take a chance on the small sample size vs. a more established resume of “pretty good.”

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Right?  We're 3-2.  Why are people so inclined to make changes to the lineup for a rookie to work out his rookie issues.  He should've worked them out in camp, but he was hurt, its why he didn't have the job to begin with.  If anything he's shown that he needs to continue to work in practice before he's field ready.  

And what is up with Edwards?

12 hours ago, Process said:

Don't think Cole did anything to take the job from Rapp. Not what I want to happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rapp/Hamlin are the starters all year. 

Edwards is looking like a waste of $2.8M. Really don't understand that signing. 

Would like to see Rapp/Edwards

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If Rapp and Bishop can play then they need to be starting. Hamlin will be identified and attack by Rodgers and I don’t want to throw up watching the All22 replay of the game.

Man I'm not big on Hamlin but ARod looks brutal. McD/Babich should make his night brutal

19 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Rapp is out of the protocol.

Bishop made a nice play in mop up duty in an earlier game but has looked bad in the last two games. Hamlin has been marginal to bad all year. 

So who starts? I really don't know....

I would probably stick with Hamlin and Bishop. Bishop needs reps and he's the future there. Not sure i would bench Hamlin for a Rapp/Bishop combo. I would be fine if they gave Edwards a shot too. 

PS if I'm Elam I'd be asking for some reps at FS. Doesn't look like Benford is moving to S anytime soon and they won't use Elam at nickel. 

Hopefully Bishop so he can keep building experience. Really not a fan of Hamlin at all. He’s the definition of average. To his credit he is not a massive liability and does play w/ a decent level of consistency. 

Yeah, I really don't understand the Mike Edwards situation.  Is he still hurt?  Is he in McClappy's doghouse?  I really don't think our defense is more complicated than what he's seen in KC and Tampa.  It's not like he's past his prime and could at least offer a veteran presence out there. 

11 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

And what is up with Edwards?

I always viewed him as a backup option for a few spots.  I thought he'd get a shot as that 3rd safety role that Ingram has been playing, but he also missed like all of camp, and i feel like he missed minicamps or OTAs too.    

16 hours ago, BearNorth said:

When we signed Douglas there was some thinking that he would soon age out of CB1, and he has the size and smarts to play Safety. 

Do we see if Elam can be CB2? [Assuming Benford is now our CB1] and when Taron comes back look at possibly moving Douglas to Safety.

Our safeties have been burned for two HUGE plays [Henry & Collins] in two weeks.

Can't really do that mid-season though, and his contract is up.  Hamlin is also a free agent so realistically he'd be in competition with bishop and rapp.  Douglas currently has a 4M void money dead cap hit for 2025, which you can spread out if you extended him.

On 10/9/2024 at 12:51 PM, Brand J said:

I don’t like that Bishop is learning on the job, but I feel he absolutely needs to be out there for the growth. He’s the future. I felt the same about Dorian Williams last year who kept making mistakes. I wanted him to take his lumps as well, because he’s also the future. These young, plus athletic draft picks need the time on task. The likes of Hamlin and AJ Klein offer no upside. 

After Bishop got caught looking, I keyed in on him. He didn't seem to want to make that mistake twice, as he was dropping fast on pass plays after the long TD. 

I agree that I'd like to see Bishop out there over Hamlin, who needs to be shown the door at the end of the year. 

11 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Man I'm not big on Hamlin but ARod looks brutal. McD/Babich should make his night brutal

I'm hopeful, but not so sure we shut Rodgers down. McD has a habit of starting games in a mega-soft zone & letting even pedestrian QBs carve us up in the middle of the field, then only adjusts at halftime. If we let Rodgers do that for the first half, we'll be chasing a lead at halftime.

16 minutes ago, 947 said:

I'm hopeful, but not so sure we shut Rodgers down. McD has a habit of starting games in a mega-soft zone & letting even pedestrian QBs carve us up in the middle of the field, then only adjusts at halftime. If we let Rodgers do that for the first half, we'll be chasing a lead at halftime.

That's true, McD has been phenomenal at adjustments but they can't continue to start so soft. It's really unacceptable , especially with the O struggling 

• Agree 1