Who starts at safety this week?

9 minutes ago, dje85 said:

rapp and bishop should but it will be rapp and hamlin. McClappy sticks with his favorites and Hamlin is one of his favorites. 

Hamlin has played better than Bishop though.  More tackles than bishop and rapp combined, only 1 missed tackle to 2 for bishop and 1 for rapp in fewer snaps.  Pass coverage has been fine too.  He hasn't done anything spectacular, but the big plays the last 2 weeks  went to rapp and bishops sides of the field.  

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Rapp is out of the protocol.

Bishop made a nice play in mop up duty in an earlier game but has looked bad in the last two games. Hamlin has been marginal to bad all year. 

So who starts? I really don't know....

I would probably stick with Hamlin and Bishop. Bishop needs reps and he's the future there. Not sure i would bench Hamlin for a Rapp/Bishop combo. I would be fine if they gave Edwards a shot too. 

PS if I'm Elam I'd be asking for some reps at FS. Doesn't look like Benford is moving to S anytime soon and they won't use Elam at nickel. 

It’s a good point on Elam, but is he capable?  He excelled when he played at man coverage, but zone is very different, amd that typifies a free safety.  I’m not saying he can’t, but does he possess the skills as it’s very different than man corner.

As far as this week, I honestly don’t know.  I still trust McDermott especially with his secondary management.

39 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Rapp...Bishop didn't play his role correctly on Collins deep TD and you could see Douglas motioning at him as he ran after Collins as if to say "WTF are you doing rookie, where is my help??"

Bishop bit hard on the play fake, so much so that my wife said, "what is that guy watching?"

Edited by Haslett_Stomp
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

After Cole's mental lapses against the Texans, I assume Rapp will be back in the lineup.

Hamlin will continue to start at free safety and has been better than people generally give him credit for. He's not an upper echelon player, and he's obviously a step down from prime Hyde and Poyer, but...he's been playing NFL starter level ball and is not the liability people think he is. Go ahead and roast me.

you know, for a guy who calls himself logic

54 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Rapp and Bishop... do we REALLY want to see Damar chase after his assignment ALL NIGHT LONG?!??! Not me. Sick of it.

So from the previous games statline - Hamlin had 9 tackles and bishop had 4.  Bishop had 2 recorded missed tackles.  Bishop also blew his assignment that gifted houston 7 points in a 3 point game.  Like what did people see in bishop that was so impressive that he gets a spot over hamlin?  

I'm all for promotion when a player has earned it, however i also don't see hamlin as a player worthy of demotion at this point.  He's 2nd on the team with 3 pass defenses, 3rd in tackles.  It's a mash unit, and I don't think it's wise to bench starters who actually practiced all camp and aren't missing tackles and making mental mistakes.  

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Bishop made a nice play in mop up duty in an earlier game but has looked bad in the last two games. Hamlin has been marginal to bad all year. 

I would probably stick with Hamlin and Bishop. Bishop needs reps and he's the future there. Not sure i would bench Hamlin for a Rapp/Bishop combo. I would be fine if they gave Edwards a shot too. 

PS if I'm Elam I'd be asking for some reps at FS. Doesn't look like Benford is moving to S anytime soon and they won't use Elam at nickel. 

Good question - I think they start Rapp but split time with Bishop.  Seems to me that the plan was always for Bishop to start at some point this season though.  So i wouldn’t be shocked to see him get the nod

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Bishop belongs in the bench.

he’s a long way off from being a starter.

16 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Well, yeah, but that doesn’t mean it helps the Bills

Right?  We're 3-2.  Why are people so inclined to make changes to the lineup for a rookie to work out his rookie issues.  He should've worked them out in camp, but he was hurt, its why he didn't have the job to begin with.  If anything he's shown that he needs to continue to work in practice before he's field ready.