3rd Down Conversion rate potentially the most worrying sign for this offense

Big Turk

9 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I think that has to do with familiarity. With most QBs, WRs are taught to come back to the ball when the QB scrambles. With Josh, they need to take off downfield and let him use his cannon. But I agree that this should have been worked out in camp.

The plays I'm seeing they're not doing anything. It's mind boggling. They're standing still or moving in the opposite direction.

Case in point:

Look at all that space available for Hollins to sit down and make himself an easy target. Instead he cluelessly continues running across the field in the opposite direction of Allen's scramble. This should be an automatic conversion with Allen's skill set.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billl said:

This has been substantially mitigated by going 7/7 on fourth down.  That's insane.  They've effectively managed to gain a first down on 25 of the 56 times they've faced third down which is 46%. 

I went down a bit of a rabbit hole on this.  Washington has the best 3rd down conversion rate in the league at 52%.  On top of that, they’re 8/8 on fourth down.  They’ve managed first downs 65% of the times they’ve faced third down.

The Browns are worst in the league at 18%.  They’re 9/15 on fourth down.

The most amazing stat I found is that the Dolphins have gone 2/14 on fourth down.  They’ve literally turned the ball over on downs 12 times already this season.  That’s two and a half times a game.  They’ve only converted 20 third downs out of 66 tries, 22 if you include fourth down attempts.

58 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The plays I'm seeing they're not doing anything. It's mind boggling. They're standing still or moving in the opposite direction.

Case in point:

Look at all that space available for Hollins to sit down and make himself an easy target. Instead he cluelessly continues running across the field in the opposite direction of Allen's scramble. This should be an automatic conversion with Allen's skill set.

someone said of this play Allen needed to 'set his base' lol

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Gabe Davis would be a solid starter on this team.  That was not the plan going in.  Absurd. 

mm was always pretty firm that moving on from davis was the right move, he was an awkward fit from the beginning imo

but i also thought the plan was going to be replacing him w someone better 😂😂

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

mm was always pretty firm that moving on from davis was the right move, he was an awkward fit from the beginning imo

but i also thought the plan was going to be replacing him w someone better 😂😂

He was. But turns out things can get worse. 

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Worth pointing out that their third down defense is bad too, 24th in the league (44 percent conversion rate). Weak performance on third down points to a relatively untalented roster - guys that can't win individual matchups on gotta have it plays.  

3rd and Long has been McD's kryptonite since he has been here, regardless of roster. My friends and I have a running joke about "3rd and 18". It's pretty much a given the opponent will pick it up.