Rookie WR Separation win-rates thru week 5

Big Blitz

2 minutes ago, Sojourner said:

I’m not seeing win rates by route tree. That information could be more of a story teller. 

Will this Twitter account eventually provide them?

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I can’t believe this is even a stat.

Does separation actually result in tangible statistics? Is there any reasonable correlation?

AD Mitchell has 6 catches on 20 targets for 70 yards.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Does separation actually result in tangible statistics? Is there any reasonable correlation?

great point. Where do you even measure this in the course of a route? Also, what if the DB just plays off coverage? Is that “separation”?

This seems like a very fishy stat. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

great point. Where do you even measure this in the course of a route? Also, what if the DB just plays off coverage? Is that “separation”?

This seems like a very fishy stat. 

Shhhh!  It makes us feel better about our draft pick.

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m guessing that a lot of the separation has been on shorter routes which Keon has always been good at.  

It’s separation on longer routes that he struggles with.  There’s several examples from Sunday.  

Overall though, I think he’s done a nice job as a rookie.  But there’s a lot he needs to work on still 

7 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I’m guessing that a lot of the separation has been on shorter routes which Keon has always been good at.  

It’s separation on longer routes that he struggles with.  There’s several examples from Sunday.  

Overall though, I think he’s done a nice job as a rookie.  But there’s a lot he needs to work on still 

There's good and bad.

Jumping offside as a WR is a head scratcher. So is getting hit in the back of the head with a throw. Showing up late and getting benched for a quarter aint great either. 

That 4th down catch and run was great though. Some really nice back shoulder catches too

The irony of the endless Keon Coleman debate is that aside from Shakir he's the Bills best wideout and deserving of more snaps and targets.

Put differently, the irony is that Coleman is not the problem... it's the other wide receivers aside from he and Shakir that are the problem.

But Coleman is the lightning rod because his draft selection made many unhappy.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The irony of the endless Keon Coleman debate is that aside from Shakir he's the Bills best wideout and deserving of more snaps and targets.

Put differently, the irony is that Coleman is not the problem... it's the other wide receivers aside from he and Shakir that are the problem.

Well said.

It has passed the point at which it made any sense to keep Coleman off the field for 30-40% of the snaps. 

While he still has lots of room to grow and is by no means perfect, he certainly appears to be more effective as a receiver than Mack Hollins and MVS. There's no reason the primary starting three on offense shouldn't be Coleman, Samuel, and Shakir the vast majority of the time.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

what would make me happy is if Coleman was better than the 74th wideout in the league

We all remember from the combine that Coleman has a slow 40 time (20th percentile) and know looking at him he's not that fast. He got those Kelvin Benjamin comparisons. But what people don't talk about as much and that Coleman has but Kelvin Benjamin didn't is excellent plant-and-push explosiveness for one step. Coleman tested about 80th percentile broad jump at the combine (Benjamin was 20th percentile in this one). I think I've seen this play out in games too. Coleman isn't going to beat people for pace, but in terms of "plant and explode towards the ball" he's pretty darn good at it.