Devin White Released by Eagles. Should we take a flyer?

TonyBeets

15 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Hasn't he lost like...all the steps to this point?

Dorian Williams was flying around on Sunday and seems like he's turned a corner. I'd rather stick with him. And for whatever it's worth, it seems like they're tinkering with the idea of moving Lewis Cine from safety to LB. Could be interesting. 

That unlikely as he’s only 26. Former 5th overall pick who hasn’t lived up to that overall. Ankle injury this season. Missed the last game for “personal reasons” which might have something to do with him not starting. Or could be something that will keep him out longer. Seems like he wanted to be cut loose by Philly.

He was on a one year, $4M deal with $3.5M guaranteed and another $3.5M possible in incentives. He got paid $2.17M of it already. So it doesn’t look like he’d cost much. But my thinking is that he will want assurances that he will get on the field for his new team so he can get paid next season. 

It doesn’t feel like a move the Bills would make though. He’s more of a fit for replacing Bernard than Williams IMO and that’s no bueno unless he gets injured. So that’s all I’d be watching for. 

16 hours ago, Sojourner said:

Not from what I know. The only reason he left Tampa was they wouldn’t give him the contract he was asking for so he requested a trade going into last season. Didn’t work out and he ended up a Free Agent after a decent season. 

Why it hasn’t worked out in Philly is the real question. The LB play there isn’t great. Nakobe Dean and Trotter Jr. are pretty much non existent. 

He probably makes his way back to Tampa I would presume. 

Don't think I'd go there this week.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, nosejob said:

First things 1st. Sign Amari Cooper. Give White a look. Didn't Fangio go to Philly?....who knows

White is only 26.  He was a monster in TB, not sure why he didn't work out in Philly, but being part of a Fangio Defense could be part of the explanation.  Fangio looks for certain types of players to fit his D.  So does McDermott.  So the question is would White fit?  That's up to McBeane.  What I don't want to see is another CJ Mosley-type outcome (monster in Balt and now in NY for the Jets).  I don't want White to end up in NY, NE or Miami for the next 6 years if he can reclaim his beast-mode.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Now this is somewhat of a silly statement as we have had struggles on defense and our LBs keep getting injured.

Is it though? Did they lose last week because of LB play orrrr WR play and bad coaching? 

worth finding out what the heck happened that led to him not playing.  perhaps personal issues with the DC?  Guy was a stud a few years ago.  If he is a vet min and knows he will have to earn playing time, it may not hurt the depth.  

that said, if he has any potential to become a distraction, etc., I'd pass.  We need to save our "drama space" for getting someone like Adams in here ASAP.  

20 hours ago, H2o said:

I liked White a lot coming out of LSU. He very well could have been the SB MVP for Tampa that year. Not sure what happened to him after that, but he's still only 26 years old and has talent. I say give him a look. 

He might (understandably so) be a head case, as he had a very young daughter drown in his pool a few years ago IIRC. Who could blame him if he's depressed or able to function at a high level

• Disagree 1

He seems to be a head case.  He has pissed off two teams to the point where they won’t put up with him.  He’s got talent, A LOT of it.  If and it’s a big IF he can do his job and keep his mouth shut, he would be a great addition to a real sore spot in this team.    I’d bring him in for a workout/interview, offer a no guarantee vet min contract with incentives and the opportunity to reset your value in the league.   If he can’t handle the professional aspect, he’s probably done in the league.   This could be a last shot to perform and stay in check long enough to try to get another contract. 

3 hours ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

White is only 26.  He was a monster in TB, not sure why he didn't work out in Philly, but being part of a Fangio Defense could be part of the explanation.  Fangio looks for certain types of players to fit his D.  So does McDermott.  So the question is would White fit?  That's up to McBeane.  What I don't want to see is another CJ Mosley-type outcome (monster in Balt and now in NY for the Jets).  I don't want White to end up in NY, NE or Miami for the next 6 years if he can reclaim his beast-mode.

He was a monster for a handful of games and terrible for the most part.  Me thinks he got a little full of himself after a strong start and the SB hype, then fell off a cliff.  He’s a PS candidate at best for this team

On 10/9/2024 at 2:52 AM, Malazan said:

The Bills defense hasn't been as bad as people seem to think so not sure why there's a rush to sign bad players from other teams especially with Bernard and Johnson due to come back soon.

Except for the Safeties the Defense has been good...Bernard coming backing into the lineup last week was a big boost and so has been the encouraging play of Dorian Williams...Of course,  Douglas and Benford have had outstanding play at CB

7 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

He might (understandably so) be a head case, as he had a very young daughter drown in his pool a few years ago IIRC. Who could blame him if he's depressed or able to function at a high level

That was actually Shaq Barrett that happened to. Just absolutely heartbreaking. Horrible.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

She's a DIVA!!!   Pulled himself from playing last year and wasn't injured.  Locker room cancer benched for last 2 games and playoffs by Bucs 

Having watched most of his games with Tampa, he was never a particularly good LB. Hands down one of the most overrated players in the league during his time there; he made splash plays here and there but was caught out of position a ton and is extremely fortunate that Lavonte David was there to cover up for all of his mistakes. He was particularly dreadful against the run, where PFF ranked him as literally the 2nd worst LB in the NFL. The Bucs run defense was generally improved whenever White missed time.

As others have said, we're not exactly deep at LB so I wouldn't mind bringing him in for depth purposes or at least seeing what sort of shape he's in. Maybe things click for him, but realistically, he's probably a below average starting LB/depth guy at this point.