Neuroscientist wants the NFL to investigate Josh Allen’s apparent head injury

mjd1001

NFL is the worst with this stuff.

"steps required by the concussion protocol were followed" doesn't mean Josh didn't sustain a concussion. This just reeks of damage control. 

This quote from Josh isn't at all suspicious: "I obviously went into the tent. I can only control what I can control," Allen said Wednesday. "What we talked about there, they deemed me cleared to play, and that's what happened. That's as deep as I'll get into it."

I especially liked this part: "The protocol has been jointly developed and is jointly administered by the NFL and NFLPA. Under that program the parties jointly identify, retain and train the Unaffiliated Neurotrauma Consultants and Booth Spotters."

How are you "Unaffiliated" if the NFL and NFLPA jointly identify, retain, and train you? Lol. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, VW82 said:

"steps required by the concussion protocol were followed" doesn't mean Josh didn't sustain a concussion. This just reeks of damage control. 

This quote from Josh isn't at all suspicious: "I obviously went into the tent. I can only control what I can control," Allen said Wednesday. "What we talked about there, they deemed me cleared to play, and that's what happened. That's as deep as I'll get into it."

I especially liked this part: "The protocol has been jointly developed and is jointly administered by the NFL and NFLPA. Under that program the parties jointly identify, retain and train the Unaffiliated Neurotrauma Consultants and Booth Spotters."

How are you "Unaffiliated" if the NFL and NFLPA jointly identify, retain, and train you? Lol. 

That's why the NFLPA weighed-in.  They have no damage to control.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, VW82 said:

Concussions are really odd it’s not like a binary thing as far as testing on the field goes.  They could keep him in the tent for hours and there’s still just nothing they could do to be 100% sure he doesn’t have a very mild concussion if he’s passing all their tests.  I have ‘had’ a few and by ‘had’ I mean the doctor said yea maybe you’ve got one but it isn’t that serious if so 

that’s why the language is the way it is as far as the ‘steps were followed’ part.  There’s no way to 100% distinguish between a very mild concussion and no concussion on the field. A lot of those tests are subjective and really only catch serious issues 

symptoms could also develop much later too in that someone initially passes and then enters the protocol later which would look even more suspicious if the nfl said ‘yup no concussion’ and then a player ended up in the protocol 😂

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

8 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Concussions are really odd it’s not like a binary thing as far as testing on the field goes.  They could keep him in the tent for hours and there’s still just nothing they could do to be 100% sure he doesn’t have a very mild concussion if he’s passing all their tests.  I have ‘had’ a few and by ‘had’ I mean the doctor said yea maybe you’ve got one but it isn’t that serious if so 

that’s why the language is the way it is as far as the ‘steps were followed’ part.  There’s no way to 100% distinguish between a very mild concussion and no concussion on the field. A lot of those tests are subjective and really only catch serious issues 

symptoms could also develop much later too in that someone initially passes and then enters the protocol later which would look even more suspicious if the nfl said ‘yup no concussion’ and then a player ended up in the protocol 😂

Again he had no objective signs of a concussion.  Whether he had headache or nausea/vomiting is up to him to reveal and hold himself out of the game.  And if they develop later, to do the same.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc said:

Again he had no objective signs of a concussion.  Whether he had headache or nausea/vomiting is up to him to reveal and hold himself out of the game.  And if they develop later, to do the same.

The delayed onset of symptoms, which are quite common as you know, had me most concerned and the fact they didn’t materialize and Josh was able practice every day without incident is all I needed to assure myself he was good to go when returned to the game and is good to go now.

23 hours ago, K-9 said:

The delayed onset of symptoms, which are quite common as you know, had me most concerned and the fact they didn’t materialize and Josh was able practice every day without incident is all I needed to assure myself he was good to go when returned to the game and is good to go now.

If symptoms occurred later, that’s up to Josh to report them and then hold himself out.  At some point the player has to an exert some agency over their health. 

16 minutes ago, Billl said:

So they investigated themselves and agreed that they did nothing wrong?

What did the NFLPA do wrong and what would they have to cover up?

Just face the truth. There is no evidence whatsoever that Allen suffered a concussion or that there was anything amiss, just as there is no evidence whatsoever that Allen "lost consciousness". None.

But there will continue to be conspiracy theorists who refuse to accept reality. Whatever. You all have the right to believe what you want.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Just face the truth. There is no evidence whatsoever that Allen suffered a concussion or that there was anything amiss, just as there is no evidence whatsoever that Allen "lost consciousness". None.

But there will continue to be conspiracy theorists who refuse to accept reality. Whatever. You all have the right to believe what you want.

Tbh, I want to know the takes of everybody when Tua suffered a back injury two years ago before I listen to how definitive the lack of evidence is here.

• Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5764056/2024/09/12/what-is-nfl-concussion-protocol/?source=user_shared_article

What happens when a player appears to suffer a head injury?

If a team’s medical staff feels any player is at risk of a concussion, it is required to pull the player to the sideline and into the medical tent for a focused neurological exam. The exam includes a cervical spine exam (including range of motion and pain), an evaluation of speech, observation of gait, and an eye movement and pupillary exam. If the player displays signs of loss of consciousness, gross motor inability, confusion or amnesia, team medical staff are not permitted to let the player return to action.

Looking at the testing protocol it is easy to see how and why Allen passed the test so quickly. Yes, this is what the NFL and NFLPA agreed on and I have no reason to doubt that Allen was given the test and that he passed it.  No, I cannot say whether Allen lost consciousness or was concussed. But what I can say with confidence is that this process is going to result in concussed players being sent back into games. It looks like it’ll catch some bad concussions and it’ll be good PR, but it’s a joke compared to the NHL’s evaluation. The NFL & NFLPA need to fix it. 

36 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Tbh, I want to know the takes of everybody when Tua suffered a back injury two years ago before I listen to how definitive the lack of evidence is here.

Tua collapsed multiple times after hitting his head. What symptoms did Josh Allen show?