Neuroscientist wants the NFL to investigate Josh Allen’s apparent head injury

mjd1001

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

denial of...what, exactly?

there's no chance that a thin helmet padding supplement will save the vast majority of the players who are destined to suffer from such illnesses.  Certainly the players don't think so.  also, the concussion protocols are, by definition, after the fact.  they can't prevent future concussions.

You know exactly what I'm saying.  I've stated it twice now.  

They're skirting concussion protocol.  We see it with our own 2 eyes.  

"NFL executive vice president Jeff Miller said that Guardian Caps have contributed to a nearly 50% reduction in concussions for the position groups that wore them during those time periods."

Whether or not this is true, who knows?  I'd wager it's better than not having the extra padding.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

It's not TV doctors we've literally heard players admit to doing this. I think it was Peyton manning? I know I'm not the only one here who's seen this.

And boom. This was 13 years ago. You're living under a rock if you think this idea hasn't spread past 1 player ever 

https://www.nfl.com/news/manning-admits-underperforming-on-baseline-concussion-tests-09000d5d81f83fbc

Your strawman ain't looking too good.

Edited by Malazan
  • Disagree 1

I hope they are testing him today, and did so yesterday. I mean, you don't risk a JA17 career for a few games! It makes no sense. 

Yes Josh is too tough for his own good, but people forget that if he was out 2-3-4 seconds, he doesn't recall any of it! For the person out, no time lapsed. It's not like he'd be lying.

But we all know he's the type to hide his symptoms if he has any, and that's not good. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, dorquemada said:

Yeah he bounced his head pretty hard off the carpet.  I was surprised to see him back in.  I find it pretty hard to believe he didn't have a concussion.

A few years ago, I stepped on the edge of a sidewalk with a two inch drop off.  I lost my balance and fell face forward, hitting my forehead hard on the sidewalk.  I got up and was fine.  Everyone was worried, so to calm concerns, I went to the hospital and had a CT scan.  No problems.  I had no headaches and no symptoms of any kind.  Sometimes a person can hit his/her head pretty hard and not have a problem.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, papazoid said:

he hit his head pretty hard.....his hand wrist went limp as he slid/rolled to a stop.....sure looked like he was knocked out, however briefly

should be interesting if he experiences any symptoms this week 

I’m honestly very worried about him this week. Don’t want him to get Tua’d. I’m actually curious if he ends up choosing not to run in this week in order to protect himself. 

11 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I hope they are testing him today, and did so yesterday. I mean, you don't risk a JA17 career for a few games! It makes no sense. 

Yes Josh is too tough for his own good, but people forget that if he was out 2-3-4 seconds, he doesn't recall any of it! For the person out, no time lapsed. It's not like he'd be lying.

But we all know he's the type to hide his symptoms if he has any, and that's not good. 

I would be shocked if Allen hasn't been thoroughly checked out for a concussion by the Bills.

13 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

It’s rude to ask another question when you haven’t answered one already posed to you.

Yes, we're all aware of how clever you think you are by not stating your actual opinions and trying to snipe from the sidelines. If you weren't aware, nobody is actually fooled by it though.

So your silly game of "I asked you a question first" is utterly asinine because prior to that I asked you if you thought Allen and all the doctors were lying which you didn't answer. Would you like to continue the childish game of "who asked question first then?"

Edited by Malazan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Yes, we're all aware of how clever you think you are by not stating your actual opinions and trying to snipe from the sidelines. If you weren't aware, nobody is actually fooled by it though.

So your silly game of "I asked you a question first" is utterly asinine because prior to that I asked you if you thought Allen and all the doctors were lying which you didn't answer. Would you like to continue the childish game of "who asked question first then?"

Unsurprisingly you’ve got this wrong too. You interjected yourself into a discussion I had with another poster and asked about the relevance of my comment. Even though I couldn’t see how it could be unclear or why you’d care, I still clarified it and asked you if you understood it. You didn’t answer and me another question.  And you’ve done so again. 

I’m happy to have a reasonable conversation with a reasonable person, but you’re not one and you’re not here for that. You’re here to push your personal agenda. Which is sad. What you’re trying to accomplish by peppering people you think don’t agree with you with questions while not contributing anything of value yourself is obvious. I have better ways to spend my time than on the likes of you. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Oh, absolutely.  The faux outrage is just as bad in sports as it is in politics.  I do remember at the time though wishing Tua wouldn't miss time because I thought Bridgewater was better.  Then he got concussed the following game.

no faux outrage from me

i legitimately think he's getting ruined out there

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Unsurprisingly you’ve got this wrong too. You interjected yourself into a discussion I had with another poster and asked about the relevance of my comment. Even though I couldn’t see how it could be unclear or why you’d care, I still clarified it and asked you if you understood it. You didn’t answer and me another question.  And you’ve done so again. 

I’m happy to have a reasonable conversation with a reasonable person, but you’re not one and you’re not here for that. You’re here to push your personal agenda. Which is sad. What you’re trying to accomplish by peppering people you think don’t agree with you with questions while not contributing anything of value yourself is obvious. I have better ways to spend my time than on the likes of you. 

yes, you replying to a discussion that I was having with another poster is me interjecting. You won't answer questions on your positions. You don't fool anyone with your BS.

Edited by Malazan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

He ought to have his head examined for putting up with Mack Hollins as #1 WR. 

I totally agree !! At the very least he should be put on the PS and allow another player like Shavers to see what he could bring to the team with more playing time .

I feel Justin Shorter should have at least been given a chance in real games to see if he could produce, then Andy Isabella was another one that i feel could have done better than Hollins has ! He so far has shown nothing when it comes to being able to catch the ball when a play is needed, clutch is not anywher in his vocabulary & is probably a real good reason why the Falcons let him walk .

Not sure what his stats were with other teams but with this team they are not good !!! He must be 1 hell of a ST's player ...

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

"NFL executive vice president Jeff Miller said that Guardian Caps have contributed to a nearly 50% reduction in concussions for the position groups that wore them during those time periods."

Whether or not this is true, who knows?  I'd wager it's better than not having the extra padding.

I mean they look like Koopa Troopas on the field, but so be it...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

no one is in denial of the risks now....and no one  won't be looking back in the future as though this wasn't discussed/known/addressed, which is what you were implying---"it's going to be funny 20 years from now when this issue is taken far more seriously than it is now".  No, they aren't.  

Also, the number of players who wore them is so miniscule and the time they wore them for was negligible that no conclusion on the effect of these caps in the NFL can even be guessed at.

4 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

I’m honestly very worried about him this week. Don’t want him to get Tua’d. I’m actually curious if he ends up choosing not to run in this week in order to protect himself. 

Let's hope the OL shows up this week otherwise Allen is going to be running like it or not, but for his life not for yards

5 hours ago, Malazan said:

Your strawman ain't looking too good.

Strawman? Im the one who cited evidence showing players know how to circumvent these.  I didnt even know this before lookup "SCAT 5 Test" and tell me if you think Josh got through this test in the time he was off the field.

But you wont, because you either prefer to pretend its not going on or are a certified troll.  I look forward to your non-fact based emotional  argument though!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Strawman? Im the one who cited evidence showing players know how to circumvent these.  I didnt even know this before lookup "SCAT 5 Test" and tell me if you think Josh got through this test in the time he was off the field.

But you wont, because you either prefer to pretend its not going on or are a certified troll.  I look forward to your non-fact based emotional  argument though!

oh, you googled and it now you're an expert. Enough of one to claim that the actual experts could be easily fooled. We can have a google fight as stupid as that is..

Dr. Harry Kerasidis who worked on creating new concussion tests:

Athletes think they can ‘tank’ a pre-season concussion test so later concussion tests show lower scores, and therefore appearing to be normal. However, this is not only illogical, but today’s technology eliminate this problem. For example, try faking good balance. If your balance is affected by concussion (as it is 50% of the time), you will not be able to fake a good balance test. More modern baseline tests have internal surveillance for unexpected bad performance that can flag a test to be repeated. So, the athlete would never leave the locker room until he could balance properly. Concussion protocols with the balance app make tanking impossible.

So is your argument is that Allen did and managed to successfully fake his baselines before the season beyond all the measures in place to prevent that, then managed to fool the doctors evaluating him person and then lied about it based on your google search. You're right. How silly of me.

I'm such a fool for relying on the analysis of actual neurosurgeons who evaluated the patient. Or.. how about we just do the logical thing and admit that we don't know anything about concussions and that believe the experts who say that to the best of their ability, did not believe Allen had a concussion.

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

no one is in denial of the risks now....and no one  won't be looking back in the future as though this wasn't discussed/known/addressed, which is what you were implying---"it's going to be funny 20 years from now when this issue is taken far more seriously than it is now".  No, they aren't.  

You have way more faith in we humans than deserved.  

On 10/8/2024 at 2:14 PM, Saxum said:

Has he been checked for CTE or this just publicity to raise donations for Concussion Legacy Foundation?

He has quite a bit of conflict of interest.

No but he’s the guy that all the CTE brains get sent to. He’s also the guy behind WWE banging chair shots to the head etc. The guy knows what he’s talking about