Neuroscientist wants the NFL to investigate Josh Allen’s apparent head injury

mjd1001

40 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

you can move and be 'out', happens all the time

im guessing if he was and he had been standing he would have looked a lot like tua wobbling off the field

If you look up the symptoms of a concussion, Josh objectively exhibited none of them after he got up off the field and in the post game presser.  Whether he subjectively had things like headache, nausea +/- vomiting,  I don't know.  Which is why I believe that taken with him moving while down meant he wasn't unconscious and the reason he was cleared and still hasn't been placed in concussions protocol.

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

I was at the game, too, and nobody thought he had been knocked out. All the in-stadium replays showed him moving around and hitting the ground as if in pain. And the replay of his ankle turning sure looked like it hurt.

I was more concerned that it was a shoulder or clavicle injury.

Thanks for the perspective.  And as I've said before, if he'd been knocked out, there would have been more urgency by the training staff.  And the Bills surely would have ruled him out for the game.  Why some think the Bills suddenly don't care about their players is puzzling.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

If you look up the symptoms of a concussion, Josh objectively exhibited none of them after he got up off the field and in the post game presser.  Whether he subjectively had things like headache, nausea +/- vomiting,  I don't know.  Which is why I believe that taken with him moving while down meant he wasn't unconscious and the reason he was cleared and still hasn't been placed in concussions protocol.

I mean they objectively offered him smelling salts

Yes I know they're used recreationally also

He still hasn't been put in concussion protocol, so maybe he didn't have a concussion?  I know it looked bad on Sunday but regardless, it doesn't mean he absolutely 100% had a concussion.  Why can't we just let the professionals do their job since they know much more than we do?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

And objectively he refused.  I'm thinking the staff member who offered it was just doing it reflexively and it wasn't a matter of him not being told about the coverup...

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Malazan said:

So none of the medical professionals that were present and evaluated Allen believe he lost consciousness and Allen himself says he didn't. So unless you're insinuating that they're all lying.. how is this relevant?

I was responding to the point brought up. The poster mentioned that a loss of consciousness doesn’t necessarily mean that the person has a concussion. I simply stated that if an NFL player is knocked unconscious then they are automatically put into the concussion protocol. What was unclear about that?

43 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

of course

to my understanding there are a bunch of different neurodegenerative diseases that are basically indistinguishable from CTE until an autopsy can be performed as you say

but it doesn't mean you can't make reasonable assumptions wrt nfl head trauma and i definitely don't think it means you should just throw your hands up and say 'well it can't be 100% diagnosed until after death'

There are all sorts of treatments for head trauma and those indistinguishable neurodegenerative diseases and we continue to make great strides in that area. But they can be diagnosed and treated specifically. What is the treatment for CTE? That’s not throwing up your hands in the least, it’s trying to administer the best care for the known condition. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

And objectively he refused.  I'm thinking the staff member who offered it was just doing it reflexively and it wasn't a matter of him not being told about the coverup...

i mean im no doctor but i wouldn't be using the actions of a potentially concussed person as proof he wasn't 😂😂

Just now, K-9 said:

There are all sorts of treatments for head trauma and those indistinguishable neurodegenerative diseases and we continue to make great strides in that area. But they can be diagnosed and treated specifically. What is the treatment for CTE? That’s not throwing up your hands in the least, it’s trying to administer the best care for the known condition. 

its definitely not going back into the football game

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

i mean im no doctor but i wouldn't be using the actions of a potentially concussed person as proof he wasn't 😂😂

Yes, taking the smelling salts was the key to diagnosis 😂

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

its definitely not going back into the football game

Going back into the football game or not isn't a question relative to CTE. It’s a question relative to the presentation of symptoms consistent with concussion or other trauma. We would hope the neurologist on the sideline would make the best medical assessment and if there is ANY question in the least, the player should be removed pending further testing. Players and coaches simply shouldn’t be allowed to make that determination. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I was responding to the point brought up. The poster mentioned that a loss of consciousness doesn’t necessarily mean that the person has a concussion. I simply stated that if an NFL player is knocked unconscious then they are automatically put into the concussion protocol. What was unclear about that?

Was Allen unconscious?

I don't get why people keep bringing up Josh's legs twitching. They(his legs) did the same thing in 2019 when he had a concussion. His head slammed into the ground violently that I feel downright uncomfortable watching the clip, and he looked like he was out cold, when they turned him over it looked like his eyes were closed. I don't think he is missing Monday night and I feel like all signs are go at this point, but I can't pretend I didn't see what I saw.

6 hours ago, papazoid said:

he hit his head pretty hard.....his hand wrist went limp as he slid/rolled to a stop.....sure looked like he was knocked out, however briefly

should be interesting if he experiences any symptoms this week 

As long as he wasn't light in the loafers afterwards.  

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

good point, but JA used them a lot his rookie or 3rd year just to get hyped as I recall.  He prob wanted them to breath easier or something following having a rib nearly cracked

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I was at the game, too, and nobody thought he had been knocked out. All the in-stadium replays showed him moving around and hitting the ground as if in pain. And the replay of his ankle turning sure looked like it hurt.

I was more concerned that it was a shoulder or clavicle injury.

I have never seen a concussed person pounding their feet up and down like he was.  

1. Players seem to know how to game the concussion tests given by the doctor’s on the sideline.

2. Some players seem to be more susceptible to symptoms from banging their head. For whatever reason Allen seems to be pretty resilient. I’ve seen him bang his head off the turf a lot and he’s only missed time for 1 concussion.

All that being said, I think he clearly got his bell rung there (minor concussion?) and the timing of him leaving the blue tent after the Bills recovered the turnover was suspicious.