Jets Fire Saleh

aristocrat

13 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

That’s not even a little bit true, the league did not tell coaches to where a patch of the Lebanese flag.

Saleh is of Lebanese descent, he wore this as Israel launched a bombing campaign in Beirut, Lebanon. Quick fact check says he’s worn it in the past, but a nationally televised game in this midst of a conflict between Lebanon and Israel is less than stellar timing, but obviously intentional by Saleh.

Furthermore, Why do people speak and post things in absolutes when they have no clue? 

In all honesty, I’ve seen him wear that patch before.

You see players with flags of different countries on their helmets.

that being said, in today’s day and age, best to stay neutral.

the slightest thing can be seen as a political statement.

I don't think this is going to be a traditional "interim head coach" bump. That usually comes after everybody on the team knows the season is over and the change sparks some kind of excitement. This feels like the opposite. They are five games in with a chance to take control of the division on primetime and suddenly the rug gets pulled out. I think the team will be demoralized if anything. I was planning on predicting an ugly Bills loss but now I predict an ugly Bills win.

• Like (+1) 1

So, Johnson met with Rogers yesterday and fired Saleh today. Does that mean Rogers asked for the firing or Johnson wanted to give him a heads up? Or, did Johnson tell Rogers that Hackett was about to be let go and that's when Rogers insisted Saleh had to go?

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/jets-owner-woody-johnson-says-he-fired-robert-saleh-one-day-after-meeting-aaron-rodgers

It certainly feels like the combination of coming back from London, having to re-adjust their body clocks, and having to deal with the confusion/distraction of their head coach being fired and adjust to whatever the new chain of command is -- not to mention the potential upset of the defensive players who probably actually LIKED Saleh -- could be a hard thing for Jets players to overcome as they prepare for a big primetime divisional showdown.

I see your "post-firing emotional bump" talk and raise you a "this is a whole lot of distractions to have to overcome while preparing for a big game". In terms of intangible impact on the game, I'd call this one a push at the very worst.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

It certainly feels like the combination of coming back from London, having to re-adjust their body clocks, and having to deal with the confusion/distraction of their head coach being fired and adjust to whatever the new chain of command is -- not to mention the potential upset of the defensive players who probably actually LIKED Saleh -- could be a hard thing for Jets players to overcome as they prepare for a big primetime divisional showdown.

I see your "post-firing emotional bump" talk and raise you a "this is a whole lot of distractions to have to overcome while preparing for a big game". In terms of intangible impact on the game, I'd call this one a push at the very worst.

Im kind of hoping the Bills might actually be the one to “raise the bar” after two sub par performances and against their biggest threat now for the Division …

They didn’t mind going into Miami Week 2 and smacking them down …

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think this is going to be a traditional "interim head coach" bump. That usually comes after everybody on the team knows the season is over and the change sparks some kind of excitement. This feels like the opposite. They are five games in with a chance to take control of the division on primetime and suddenly the rug gets pulled out. I think the team will be demoralized if anything. I was planning on predicting an ugly Bills loss but now I predict an ugly Bills win.

I watched a bit of Ulbrichs press conference. He talked about changing the roles of staff and generally spoke about how sad he was salah was gone. I think the feeling in the building is far more like “oh *****” and less so about “we got this”

Sometimes firing is fully justified (I believe it is in this case) but it feels like the owner is expressing no confidence in the team. The GM is probably on the way out. The entire coaching staff is basically fired. Their QB is 40 and looks it. I think it’s more likely they implode than have a great run. Most guys are gonna be lining up their next jobs and it’s not even halfway through the season. 

People pointing out the Chargers last year playing us tough after Staley was fired. They were professional athletes that got absolutely embarrassed a week earlier. They were going to show up and play hard that week no matter if it was Staley coaching them or somebody else

2 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

People pointing out the Chargers last year playing us tough after Staley was fired. They were professional athletes that got absolutely embarrassed a week earlier. They were going to show up and play hard that week no matter if it was Staley coaching them or somebody else

Well and also Joe Staley's speciality was defense and their defense was legitimately terrible. Saleh's defense has been elite, probably the best in the league this year. So what improvements is Ulbrich supposed to make? Hackett is still there so the offense isn't changing. There's really nothing positive that can come from making the change now.

• Agree 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Well and also Joe Staley's speciality was defense and their defense was legitimately terrible. Saleh's defense has been elite, probably the best in the league this year. So what improvements is Ulbrich supposed to make? Hackett is still there so the offense isn't changing. There's really nothing positive that can come from making the change now.

That’s a good point. That chargers roster had plenty of talent. I’m not surprised they played hard the next week. 

As to the Jets, Salah sucked as a HC. Hackett shouldn’t even be in the league, much less coordinating an offense. They probably fired the wrong guy, for now (Though both deserve to be fired)

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Don’t know if this true…but this would be interesting if so.  

I don’t trust ml football a whole lot but I wouldn’t be shocked…maybe if I saw it on sny which is what they’re citing I’d believe it more though 

24 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I watched a bit of Ulbrichs press conference. He talked about changing the roles of staff and generally spoke about how sad he was salah was gone. I think the feeling in the building is far more like “oh *****” and less so about “we got this”

Sometimes firing is fully justified (I believe it is in this case) but it feels like the owner is expressing no confidence in the team. The GM is probably on the way out. The entire coaching staff is basically fired. Their QB is 40 and looks it. I think it’s more likely they implode than have a great run. Most guys are gonna be lining up their next jobs and it’s not even halfway through the season. 

Yea it feels like they’re giving up on the season but they really shouldn’t be.