Jets Fire Saleh

aristocrat

1 hour ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Since 2011, teams that fire their head coach mid season are 10-7 in the next game.  That is honestly better than I thought it would be.  I was hoping to shoot down all the doom and gloom about an "emotional boost" from firing a coach.

Big difference in this circumstance, there was no apparent and obvious pressing need to do this, outside of Aaron Rodgers and his issues, didnt seem to me this will suddenly unite their team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Since 2011, teams that fire their head coach mid season are 10-7 in the next game.  That is honestly better than I thought it would be.  I was hoping to shoot down all the doom and gloom about an "emotional boost" from firing a coach.

None of those teams puzzlingly fired the head coach before a huge division game for first place so I’m not sure this applies.  There’s no way Saleh being removed has united the team.  It very likely made whatever rift there is even worse 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JMM said:

Damn this couldn't be NEXT week? Now they will play out of their freaking minds on Monday 

Probably not. They're a more ruderless ship and most likely to be led by Hackett. They are what, 1.5 games behind us and if they beat us that's a swing in their favor. This is a premature ***** on their part, it's not like they're the Pats. 

However, lmao at everyone picking the Jets or Dolphins over the Bills for the division 😂😂😂😂😂😂

7 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I literally cannot even fathom what else it could be haha. Rodgers must’ve told woody Saleh isn’t letting him do everything he wants to do.  There’s no way Saleh had no supporters on this team so it’s gotta cause a divide.

a lot of the times a team feels like they’re failing their head coach that they like, he gets fired, and it’s a shock to the system and they pick it up for a few games.  I don’t think that’s what is happening here.  

there’s probably a Saleh supporting camp and a Rodgers supporting camp and the Saleh side is pissed 

But he still has Hackett. 😆

1 minute ago, RichRiderBills said:

Insane...wow. Jets going to jet. 

They will be likely going after Billicheck 

Compounding dumb mistakes…i still think he’s a good coach but he’s so old and rodgers is so old…maybe you’re good for a year or so before they both retire? 🤣

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

When did that D never play hard for Saleh and against us?  

If we lose this game that’s on us.  We have a chance to bury them on Monday.  

We won’t lose the division with a loss Monday but we absolutely can win it.  

Last year in Orchard Park. 32-6 

18 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I don’t think this is your standard ‘the whole team is united under a new head coach’ situation.  Its pretty reasonable rodgers forced Saleh out and the team is in even more disarray now because Rodgers sees himself as the real head coach.

the firing makes absolutely no sense otherwise..  in fact, I think this turned a 50/50 loss into an 80/20 win 

if you’re gonna fire a head coach mid season, it’s happening IMMEDIATELY after the most recent game unless there is massive massive dysfunction which completely forces your hand.  You don’t wait until after the prep would’ve started for the next game.  If the team was straight up tanking it wouldn’t matter much, but there’s no way they’re tanking with Rodgers 

Isn't it possible they treated monday as an off day and came to the decision today? I mean they had to fly back sunday from London, it's not like you fire the coach and make him fly back with the team 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Well, there is a way the Bills could even the playing field…

The Jets would probably hire McDermott 5 seconds after the Bills fired him. Sean is great at changing a losing culture and getting the organization turned around. He just can't close the deal and win a Super Bowl.

Data on interim HC in past 6 years. Results are dependent on opponent vs. "interim coach bump" (myth?), overall 8-5 though:

2018 Cleveland Browns -

2-5-1 under Hue Jackson

Lost opener under Gregg Williams (v Chiefs)

5-2 rest of the way under Williams

2018 Green Bay Packers -

4-7-1 under Mike McCarthy

Won opener under Joe Philbin (v Falcons)

1-2 rest of the way under Philbin

2019 Washington Commanders -

0-5 under Jay Gruden

Won opener under Bill Callahan (@ Dolphins)

2-8 rest of the way under Callahan

2019 Carolina Panthers -

5-7 under Ron Rivera

Lost opener under Perry Fewell (@ Falcons)

0-3 rest of the way under Fewell

2020 Houston Texans -

0-4 under Bill O'Brien

Won opener under Romeo Crennel (v Jaguars)

3-8 rest of the way under Crennel

2020 Atlanta Falcons -

0-5 under Dan Quinn

Won opener under Raheem Morris (@ Vikings)

3-7 rest of the way under Morris

2020 Detroit Lions -

4-7 under Matt Patricia

Won opener under Darrell Bevell (@ Bears)

0-3 rest of the way under Bevell, plus 0-1 under Robert Prince when Bevell had Covid

2021 Jacksonville Jaguars -

2-11 under Urban Meyer

Lost opener under Darrell Bevell (v Texans)

1-2 rest of the way under Bevell

2021 Las Vegas Raiders -

3-2 under Jon Gruden (officially resigned, not fired)

Won opener under Rich Bisaccia (@ Broncos)

6-5 rest of the way under Bisaccia, made playoffs, lost in WC @ Bengals

2022 Carolina Panthers -

1-4 under Matt Rhule

Lost opener under Steve Wilks (@ Rams)

6-5 rest of the way under Wilks

2022 Indianapolis Colts -

3-5-1 under Frank Reich

Won opener under Jeff Saturday (@ Raiders)

0-7 rest of the way under Saturday

2022 Denver Broncos -

4-11 under Nathaniel Hackett

Lost opener under Jerry Rosburg (@ Chiefs)

1-0 rest of the way under Rosburg

2023 Las Vegas Raiders -

3-5 under Josh McDaniels

Won opener under Antonio Pierce (v Giants)

1-2 rest of the way so far under Pierce

A few findings from that:

Only Gregg Williams, Rich Bisaccia, Steve Wilks and technically Jerry Rosburg had a win percentage above .500 after their first game

Of the eight that won their opening game, only one opponent finished at .500 or better (2020 Bears finished 8-8)

Rich Bisaccia is the only interim HC to both win his first game, and have a winning record over their remaining games

None of the Interim HC in this period have been given a permanent seat yet

• Thank you (+1) 1