McDermott needs a end of game coordinator

86poker

9 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

"I hope the coaches learn from it" says a Bills veteran player. 

McDermott teams have consistently blundered coaching decisions in key moments to cost the team. For such a detail oriented coach it seems off brand, but it it's actually what he's becoming known for. 

It is 100 percent on brand for this group.

18 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Read this thread as many times as you need to understand why that’s a bad idea.

I want him to learn from his own mistakes which is isn't happening.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

It is 100 percent on brand for this group.

I want him to learn from his own mistakes which is isn't happening.

He’s one of the most aggressive coaches in the league, statistically 

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Hes 72 and his team was awful once Brady left. 

It was awful because Bill sucked as a GM. He never should have been allowed to control the roster. Bill can still coach no doubt. Going from the GOAT to Mac Jones is too big of a decline at the most important position. No coach could overcome that. That was Bill's fault. He selected Jones as "GM".

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Read this thread as many times as you need to understand why that’s a bad idea.

This poses an interesting question:

If a man in a blue box appears from thin air and tells you that when the Bills fire McD, they hire another young DC to replace him.

Would you still want to fire him?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

If a man in a blue box appears from thin air and tells you that when the Bills fire McD, they hire another young DC to replace him.

Who is the young DC? What kind of track record are we talking here?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Sweats said:

McD has no flaws and saying anything contrary makes you a bad fan

I feel like that applies more to Allen. People love to criticize McDermott, but if you dare say anything critical about Allen, you're the problem. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Great coaches don’t need end of game coordinators. That’s a joke comment, right? 

Mcd hasn’t managed games well from day one and has never learned from all of his mistakes. If he was employed in any other business he would be shown the door. 

As much as I would like to see him gone, I also feel the disruption to the team at this point in the season would not be good because we don’t have any credible internal staff who I would trust stepping into that role. 

Mcd will get through this year and the rationalizations about the impact of injuries will suffice to keep him and Beane around but the status quo will never get us over the top. Mcd is our ceiling and it is what it is.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

He’s one of the most aggressive coaches in the league, statistically 

I didn't comment on his aggression or lack of. I'm commenting on him making the same sorts of mistakes repeatedly.

6 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Nope. It's an offense driven league. I want someone who understands that and any time there is a coin flip decision about resources that the offense gets it.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 86poker said:

Just hire someone to help him handle end of game management.  It's by far his biggest flaw

If he needs a coordinator to help him coach tight game scenarios, what good is he?  If that’s truly the case, McD needs to go.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

Crying about the guy with 114 career wins because “the grass is always greener” is tiresome.

Wade Phillips has an excellent career record too. Did he ever win anything important or did his teams always find a new and interesting way to blow it?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Sweats said:

McD has no flaws and saying anything contrary makes you a bad fan

you must want the drought back 

18 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I feel like that applies more to Allen. People love to criticize McDermott, but if you dare say anything critical about Allen, you're the problem. 

This is because Allen is 100x better at his job than McDermott.    It’s ridiculous to freak out over an inreception or bad game. This is true of every qb.  Every head coach does not frequently botch end of game management.  The expectation number of clock management screwups is zero from a high end head coach. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I've said it (jokingly) for years that they need someone like me, sitting home on their couch, to have a direct line in. I wonder if they have anyone outside the "at-game bubble" evaluating strategy. It was obvious to the majority of us watching on TV what they should do on that final drive. But in the heat of the battle, maybe that common sense doesn't get through? I love the idea of an end-of-game coordinator. Heck, I'd do it for free. Send me your digits, McD.

Alot of people work from home these days

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

McDermott has his flaws but if he were to get fired, he would have multiple teams interviewing him for a HC job.

My biggest issue with him, he gets too aggressive on defense late in games.  No need to send the house on 3rd and long....he does that way too much.

Good for Trash teams that need a mediocre HC, cause they have had nothing better the other 4 years.

51 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Maybe, obviously we can never know. 

I think McDermott is the defensive version of Zach Taylor. Difference being Zach Taylor's teams have owned us recently, but both are beneficiaries of a great QB. 

McDermott made the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor and a skeleton crew of talent.

If the HC needs an “end of game coordinator” he’s not a HC. 

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

McDermott made the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor and a skeleton crew of talent.

Yep and is the perfect guy to get you to that level. If you have 6-11 talent he can get you to 9-7. If you have 14-3 talent, he can get you to 13-4. He’s Marty Schottenheimer and Marvin Lewis. With Josh Allen, I don’t need a guy that can get me to the playoffs. 80% of this message board could do that. That’s not our situation anymore. We need a guy that can win a Lombardi. His game coaching doesn’t lead me to believe that’s him.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If the HC needs an “end of game coordinator” he’s not a HC. 

Yep and is the perfect guy to get you to that level. If you have 6-11 talent he can get you to 9-7. If you have 14-3 talent, he can get you to 13-4. He’s MartY Schottenheimer and Marvin Lewis.

I’m not saying he is or isn’t that.

I was responding that he is better than Jauron, Marone, etc.

Just now, Beast said:

I’m not saying he is or isn’t that.

I was responding that he is better than Jauron, Marone, etc.

I agree with that. With that being said, I’m not sure that he ever had a team play above its talent. He’s done what he should with the talent he’s had.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Josh has to get countless decisions right on game day. McD has a handful due to Babich taking over the DC duties. 

Somehow he still messes it up. 

I can easily criticize Josh. The same with Sean. 

Not that my perspective matters or has a place but I have excused McDermott many times for his wrong decisions that have cost games. 

Can’t give a pass for so many egregious errors by the HC any more. It’s multiple times a season now. Again, with Babich taking over play calling on the defense you should never have personnel and game management issues, especially with “extra eyes” to help.

• Thank you (+1) 1