McDermott needs a end of game coordinator

86poker

McDermott needs to be let go at the end of this season, depending of course on outcome. There's plenty of time for him to prove the naysayers wrong. 

But another early playoff exit should be the end of his regime. We've topped out with him at the helm, and Allen only has so many prime years left. 

Honestly, would Chan Gailey, Doug Marrone or even Dick Jauron have had remarkably different records with Josh Allen, a top 2-3 QB in the league?

13 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

McDermott needs to be let go at the end of this season, depending of course on outcome. There's plenty of time for him to prove the naysayers wrong. 

But another early playoff exit should be the end of his regime. We've topped out with him at the helm, and Allen only has so many prime years left. 

Honestly, would Chan Gailey, Doug Marrone or even Dick Jauron have had remarkably different records with Josh Allen, a top 2-3 QB in the league?

Read this thread as many times as you need to understand why that’s a bad idea.

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, 86poker said:

Just hire someone to help him handle end of game management.  It's by far his biggest flaw

If a head coach needs an end of game coordinator, he should not be a head coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

If the Bills job is open in January all of the top candidates would be banging down the door to work with a top 2-3 QB. 

Bills would be the #1 job out there. Biggest need of any team is a superstar QB. You can fix the rest. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Bull ****.  you don't keep banging your head against the wall hoping it becomes a door.  Who WOULDNT we get? Coaches will be fighting to get to coach Allen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

If the Bills job is open in January all of the top candidates would be banging down the door to work with a top 2-3 QB. 

Bills would be the #1 job out there. Biggest need of any team is a superstar QB. You can fix the rest. 

Top candidates like who? Matt Nagy? Ken Wisenhunt? Get outta here. Not a single upgrade.

2 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Bull ****.  you don't keep banging your head against the wall hoping it becomes a door.  Who WOULDNT we get? Coaches will be fighting to get to coach Allen.

Not a single upgrade out there. Prove me wrong. 

And no, Billy B is not an upgrade. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Exactly. The Eagles moved on from Andy Reid and he took them to a Super Bowl and a bunch of NFC championship game appearances. He had more success in Philly than Sean has had in Buffalo.

"I hope the coaches learn from it" says a Bills veteran player. 

McDermott teams have consistently blundered coaching decisions in key moments to cost the team. For such a detail oriented coach it seems off brand, but it it's actually what he's becoming known for. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

Top candidates like who? Matt Nagy? Ken Wisenhunt? Get outta here. Not a single upgrade.

A guy who went to 9 Super Bowls and won 6 of them isn't an upgrade over Sean?

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Nobody cares about defense even though there seems to be a big time swing back towards it the last year or so.  I think the second mcd goes we quickly realize a lot of our defensive players are extremely well coached scheme fits and the defense completely falls apart when a new coach brings in a new system.  Maybe the offense improves but I don’t personally think it’ll be enough to improve the team in the short term 

3 or so years of a new coach then maybe you’ve got a shot to outperform mcd if you get the hire right.  Just doesn’t seem worth it until our playoff exits stop being extremely narrow losses to the chiefs while missing our most important defensive talent.  Once that changes though and we start seeing more of that bengals playoff game then yea pull the trigger 

Just now, Roundybout said:

You mention Ken Wisenhunt, which is a compelling option, but I think we could do even better. Jerry Glanville is still coaching in the college ranks and could bring some real wisdom and experience to the team. 

But I agree.. If Wisenhunt or Glanville won't take it we should probably stand pat. 

I maintain the decision at the end of the Texans game was not the wrong decision but obviously it didn't work out.  Running would have still given the Texans the ball back in fact unless a first down a running play would take less time off the clock.  No matter what they had to make a first down and throwing would have been more likely.  I'm actually surprised not to see a Josh run once.

5 hours ago, 86poker said:

Just hire someone to help him handle end of game management.  It's by far his biggest flaw

If he needs someone to hold his hand at this point, with this many years in, he needs to be fired. Learning is real. Coaches need to do it too.