McDermott needs a end of game coordinator

86poker

Too many terrible game day decisions and an utter inability to understand clock management will be his legacy.  What could have been will be our memory of this era, and living through it, seeing it happen in realtime is excruciating. 

3 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

He needs to be shown the door any way.  I still don't get the defense of this mans coaching.

Agreed.

McD has shown time and time again that although he can be brilliant at times, he can also more often than not, make crucial mistakes at the worst possible times.....it's like a bad remake of Groundhog Day, only the insanity just never ends.

It's honestly embarrassing how many times he has choked and even more embarrassing how fans still stick up for him.

I get it......McD and the FO have taken this franchise out of the dark depths, but they have also sent the franchise into a limbo of sorts, of the likes can only be compared to with Cleveland (alright, any Browns comparison is uncalled for and i apologize, but i'm angry dammit).

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

McDermott has his flaws but if he were to get fired, he would have multiple teams interviewing him for a HC job.

My biggest issue with him, he gets too aggressive on defense late in games.  No need to send the house on 3rd and long....he does that way too much.

why does that matter?  it's another reason to can him, really.  maybe he could go to another team in the division even. 

Many years ago I heard someone talking about the concept of a game day coach and a game week coach.  He thought Lou Saban was a good game day coach.  I was just figuring out what football was when Saban finally figured out to just give the ball to OJ.

McDermott is the worst game day coach I can recall, at least for the Bills.  Since I also think his entire defensive philosophy is flawed and I don't think Allen listens to him, I think he needs to be replaced.  But the risk is really high (there are a lot of bad coaches out there) and he comes as a package deal with Beane, so I don't see it happening anytime soon.

So yeah, maybe he needs a strategy advisor.  

4 minutes ago, notpolian said:

Many years ago I heard someone talking about the concept of a game day coach and a game week coach.  He thought Lou Saban was a good game day coach.  I was just figuring out what football was when Saban finally figured out to just give the ball to OJ.

McDermott is the worst game day coach I can recall, at least for the Bills.  Since I also think his entire defensive philosophy is flawed and I don't think Allen listens to him, I think he needs to be replaced.  But the risk is really high (there are a lot of bad coaches out there) and he comes as a package deal with Beane, so I don't see it happening anytime soon.

So yeah, maybe he needs a strategy advisor.  

Why are he and Beane a package deal? Terry could fire both if he wanted. He could fire one and keep the other. No package deal. When Terry decides it's time to make a change then he will decide if both go or if only one of them takes the fall.

I've said it (jokingly) for years that they need someone like me, sitting home on their couch, to have a direct line in. I wonder if they have anyone outside the "at-game bubble" evaluating strategy. It was obvious to the majority of us watching on TV what they should do on that final drive. But in the heat of the battle, maybe that common sense doesn't get through? I love the idea of an end-of-game coordinator. Heck, I'd do it for free. Send me your digits, McD.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I mean... he's a defensive coach and the adjustments that were made resulted in 3 punts and 2 takeaways.  During the 5 possessions buffalo had after that they scored 10 points.  I'd put the onus more on brady and allen in that regard.  

agreed on the adjustments.  But the problem is, you can't be spotting a team like McDs defenses do.  (and Collins being out was a huge benefit to the D) This won't work against KC, Cincy, Balt.  

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I've said it (jokingly) for years that they need someone like me, sitting home on their couch, to have a direct line in. I wonder if they have anyone outside the "at-game bubble" evaluating strategy. It was obvious to the majority of us watching on TV what they should do on that final drive. But in the heat of the battle, maybe that common sense doesn't get through? I love the idea of an end-of-game coordinator. Heck, I'd do it for free. Send me your digits, McD.

this is an interesting idea.  Have a Bills employee watching the game elsewhere, who has a line in and can explain what you are seeing outside the stress of the minute.  Almost like having a coordinator in a box who can see the field, but one step removed from even that.  

McBeane are a package deal because McDermott was hired first.  Normally the coach answers to the GM and works for the GM.  I assume that's not the case here.  

I should also clarify I think McDermott can make good adjustments at halftime, I just think he is terrible in the moment.  Very consistent with what Tyler Dunne published about him getting tight.  You cannot get or show nerves as a head coach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

McDermott has his flaws but if he were to get fired, he would have multiple teams interviewing him for a HC job.

My biggest issue with him, he gets too aggressive on defense late in games.  No need to send the house on 3rd and long....he does that way too much.

I've never understood this as an argument to keep him. Who cares if someone else would hire him after we fire him? He's horrific at what he does, let someone else have him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

So? 

Saleh will have multiple teams interviewing him.

You don't keep an underachieving employee because you're worried that someone else my hire them.

IF he were fired, he'd most likely be re-hired for his Defensive coordinator skills NOT his head coaching prowess.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Good...let him go, without Allen he's not even a .400 coach. Maybe he can return to his beloved Panthers.

10 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

So? 

Saleh will have multiple teams interviewing him.

You don't keep an underachieving employee because you're worried that someone else my hire them.

IF he were fired, he'd most likely be re-hired for his Defensive coordinator skills NOT his head coaching prowess.

16 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I've never understood this as an argument to keep him. Who cares if someone else would hire him after we fire him? He's horrific at what he does, let someone else have him. 

I'm not saying to as a way to keep him.  I'm just saying a lot of people think he will only get DC opportunities which I don't believe that's true.

• Agree 1