Not challenging Dalton sideline catch or Cook TD

Pete

13 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Both would have been upheld. However he used a TO anyways. So why not use the challenge flag if you a going to burn a timout? 

No it was after

We must be talking about two different plays…I actually was fooled by the injury timeout in the gamecast haha we finished that possession with 3 timeouts..  so I’m not sure if we’re talking about two different plays or what, the 3rd and 13 to Kincaid had no timeout after.  Punt team came right out and punted 

8 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Might as well throw timeouts away while we’re at it so i agree

Haha I think this is sarcasm but it seems like a relevant time to point out that Houston had that fg shot at the end likely because they preserved all their timeouts…13 seconds was able to happen to us because kc preserved all their timeouts, and so on and so on…time outs are pretty much gold.  So I agree with you (if this is sarcasm 🤣)

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

27 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

But McDermott did waste a timeout, literally before the next play after the Kincaid no catch. 

He did not unless we are talking about two different plays somehow…I literally just watched it to confirm I’m not crazy.  3rd and 13 to Kincaid down the sideline towards the end of the first half that he toe tapped and bobbled.  

the gameday thread erupted in how can you not challenge, fire everyone.  I distinctly remember because someone told me I was probably too dumb to tie my shoes for saying it would’ve been a wasted timeout and as I was furiously typing a response the thread locked 🤣

edit ohhhhh you jokers are talking about the defensive timeout later.  I gave you way too much credit.  Offense got it back with three timeouts which is why you don’t challenge there.  I thought you were trying to say we called timeout to decide if we should challenge and could’ve just challenged right away (which would’ve been a good point if it was correct). Didn’t make any sense though as the next play was a punt you could just take a delay on 

some of the stuff that goes back and forth here is subjective but any coach in the nfl would tell you you’re objectively wrong here.

28 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

The thing that infuriated me on the Kinkcaid no catch, is that McDermott took a timeout right after. If you’re going to blow a timeout, challenge the play. You at least have a small chance at upside and you get a much longer break than the standard 30 second timeout. 

Exactly what I said at the time too. There was only 3:30 left in the game and we had both challenges left. It would’ve cost us nothing to challenge. It would have given us a longer TO even if we didn’t win it. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You realize we employ an ex NFL referee with many years of experience as the person who identifies what and what not to challenge?

Pretty sure he has a good grasp on what to challenge and what not to.

Both those were obvious "no's" in terms of challenging. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Might as well throw timeouts away while we’re at it so i agree

It's not about throwing timeouts away; it's about throwing challenges. They would have lost the Kincaid challenge (there was no chance it would have been overturned), which means they only would have had one left. You don't know if you'll need that challenge later on. 

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Exactly what I said at the time too. There was only 3:30 left in the game and we had both challenges left. It would’ve cost us nothing to challenge. It would have given us a longer TO even if we didn’t win it. 

This is insane logic.  You are trying to preserve 3 timeouts for your offense if you get the stop which is exactly what they did.  That one timeout could be and often is the difference between no points and 3 or even 7 when you get the ball back with 1 minute remaining in a half that you’d be throwing away on a zero hope to be overturned challenge.   

the timeout he used came wayyyyy later when it was clear we wouldn’t get another offensive possession.  There was 15 seconds left in the half for god sakes 🤣. This was one of the few things mcd got completely and objectively right in this one

33 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

The announcers agreed Kincaid one was a catch and should McDermott should have thrown the flag

Well, they were wrong and I think only showed the front angle once during the broadcast. The ball clearly shifts a smidge while he’s pinning it into his body.

34 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

The thing that infuriated me on the Kinkcaid no catch, is that McDermott took a timeout right after. If you’re going to blow a timeout, challenge the play. You at least have a small chance at upside and you get a much longer break than the standard 30 second timeout. 

This is almost certainly a disadvantage of having John Parry making these review calls.  He likely told McD not to challenge, which was correct.  But that fails to take into account the fact that he then burns the timeout right afterwards.  At that point, as you say, his "timeout" should have been the challenge, even if he knew he was going to lose.

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It's not about throwing timeouts away; it's about throwing challenges. They would have lost the Kincaid challenge (there was no chance it would have been overturned), which means they only would have had one left. You don't know if you'll need that challenge later on. 

How is it not about timeouts too? 😂. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills here.  Your offense got it back with 1 minute left in the half with three timeouts instead of two.  That extra timeout could be huge down the stretch of a half.  You don’t throw that opportunity away on a frivolous challenge…it’s moronic.

the only leg the challenge people would have had to stand on is if our offense didn’t get another chance because we didn’t get the stop. Then having an extra timeout would’ve been strategically irrelevant 

16 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

This is almost certainly a disadvantage of having John Parry making these review calls.  He likely told McD not to challenge, which was correct.  But that fails to take into account the fact that he then burns the timeout right afterwards.  At that point, as you say, his "timeout" should have been the challenge, even if he knew he was going to lose.

Are y’all talking about the first half Kincaid sideline toe tap bobble at like 3:30 ish?  There was no timeout taken right after idk where this is coming from.  Our first timeout was used with 15 seconds left in the half after our offense got the ball back with three timeouts (which is why you don’t challenge the Kincaid play),punted, and then the Texans had the ball

do some people mean another play and are just saying the Kincaid play by accident  😂. I am immensely confused.  I literally watched it twice now lol it’s 4th down right after and the punt team came out with zero delay and punted it. 

Cook wasn't a touchdown. He woulda been out inside the 5. And he was CLEARLY out. 

Kincaid I think was a catch and I do think was worth a challenge at that point in the game but I don't think there was clear enough evidence to overturn. I think 60/40 that stays on the field.

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

We have a retired pro ref who is telling us when to challenge. I think you have to defer to him.

This feels like it’s turned into one of those Mandela effects 🤣. There absolutely, unequivocally was not a timeout called by the bills right after the Kincaid play.  

people joked about the defensive timeout taken with 15 seconds left in the half (our only used first half timeout) but obviously you don’t have to preserve timeouts for your offense at that point lol and now I think people are misremembering it

it wouldn’t even make sense to call a timeout to decide to challenge there, it was fourth down and you can just eat the delay penalty on the punt 

12 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

This is insane logic.  You are trying to preserve 3 timeouts for your offense if you get the stop which is exactly what they did.  That one timeout could be and often is the difference between no points and 3 or even 7 when you get the ball back with 1 minute remaining in a half that you’d be throwing away on a zero hope to be overturned challenge.   

the timeout he used came wayyyyy later when it was clear we wouldn’t get another offensive possession.  There was 15 seconds left in the half for god sakes 🤣. This was one of the few things mcd got completely and objectively right in this one

WTF are you talking about? The timeout we are discussing came with 3:30 left in the 4th qtr. It was after the pass to Cook on the sideline that was ruled incomplete. McD called a timeout rather than throw the challenge flag. At that point in the game the challenge flag would have been the correct decision if he was going to call a TO anyway. That’s because the Bills had both challenges left and challenges can’t be used after the 2 min warning. So he wound up wasting both. Better to have had a chance at getting the call reversed - especially since it would have cost the Bills nothing. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

WTF are you talking about? The timeout we are discussing came with 3:30 left in the 4th qtr. It was after the pass to Cook on the sideline that was ruled incomplete. McD called a timeout rather than throw the challenge flag. At that point in the game the challenge flag would have been the correct decision if he was going to call a TO anyway. That’s because the Bills had both challenges left and challenges can’t be used after the 2 min warning. So he wound up wasting both. Better to have had a chance at getting the call reversed - especially since it would have cost the Bills nothing. 

People are clearly discussing both plays at the same time 😂. Multiple people referred to a Kincaid blown timeout. 

the cook play wasn’t even close I’m honestly surprised it’s even being talked about. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1