Hot take (kinda) is McDermott leaving to much control in his coordinators hands at the end of games?

Steptide

2 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Not in that situation/moment, throwing from your own end zone. The losing result they got was more likely

Bills had the momentum...getting to ot was the play. 

(50 yards only gets them a 64 yard fg att, needed at least 60)

Picking up a first down is the only guaranteed way to get to OT.

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Perhaps the only guaranteed way  ..but taking the 10 sec runoff and making them burn their timeouts would have gotten them to OT over 90% of the time imo

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/7/2024 at 3:56 PM, Billz4ever said:

Didn't he say something to the effect of "he would've preferred to run at least once" or something along those lines?

That's him throwing his coordinator under the bus.  Ultimately, he's still responsible.  He should've already told Brady what he would like to do there, even as a general framework, before the drive even started. 

exactly.  There is a world of difference between being a micromanager and totally hands off.  McD, well, we will never know because it's always someone else's fault, even when he starts with "I take the blame", then goes on to state what he wanted instead.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 10/7/2024 at 4:44 PM, Jauronimo said:

True but throwing three low percentage passes by a QB from his own end zone while he's having one of the worst games of his career is pretty much maximizing your chances of losing in regulation.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/7/2024 at 3:46 PM, Turk71 said:

Not accepting the 10 second runoff because you were gonna drive 65 yards from your own 4 with 40 secs and no timeouts was just mindbogglingly stupid. 

Sounds like a McD decision to me

To be fair. Their punter was shaking punts all night. If he misfit another one they may have had decent field position.

I'm certainly not one to defend McDermott but I am ok with that decision 

McDermott in that end game situation is responsible for strategy. Ie. Go for FG or just get the first down. Sounds like he instructed them to just go for the first down but Allen was throwing deep. Brady probably had a deep route called to try and clear out for underneath throws. 

Certainly McDermott can overrule and say run the ball. 

I think the biggest fail was not throwing, but operating out of shot gun. If he was under center and wanted to throw that wpudl have probably worked better. 

On 10/7/2024 at 3:46 PM, Turk71 said:

Not accepting the 10 second runoff because you were gonna drive 65 yards from your own 4 with 40 secs and no timeouts was just mindbogglingly stupid. 

Sounds like a McD decision to me

He didn't know they'd down it at the four.  A  touchback and you have it at the 20 with two time outs left and 40 seconds to get into field goal range.  However, given how poor are passing attack was I'd have accepted the 10 second run off.  No matter what decision he made on the run off though he'd receive criticism for either being too aggressive or too conservative.

• Agree 1

On 10/7/2024 at 3:38 PM, Steptide said:

Was that Leslie Frazier or McDermott?

McDermott. He mettled with special teams and took over play calling from Leslie. Total disaster.  Should have been fired on the spot. Had Daboll been promoted to HC with Leslie coordinating the D, we'd have maybe 1-2 Super Bowl appearances to show for it. Instead, he promoted a rookie OC to take over Josh/Diggs in their prime. Disaster #2. I don't think he has any leverage left at this point to fire Brady or Babich if either fails.

• Haha (+1) 1