Hot take (kinda) is McDermott leaving to much control in his coordinators hands at the end of games?

Steptide

Not breaking any news here, and much like all of us, I'm just looking for answers, but this isn't the first end of game blunder under McDermott. I'm starting to wonder if McDermott is trusting his coordinators too much at the end of these games. 13 seconds we saw some of the worst defense ever at the end of regulation. Was that Leslie Frazier or McDermott? Yesterday, we see 3 straight passes at the end. Was that McDermott or Brady? Ps, throwing or running there , there's an argument to be made for both. McDermott is 8 seasons in, I'm starting to wonder if his end of game management is more on the coordinators than himself. Don't get me wrong, he shares plenty of the blame. It just blows my mind they cannot figure out how to handle the end of games. 

Honestly, the HC should be making the call on the overall strategy for the last series.  It would be hard to believe that it was Brady's call alone.  I would hope they at least discussed it, even if it was Brady's idea initially.

Yeah, from his press conferences I kinda inferred that he's completely hands-off during portions of the game. I don't know if that is really the case or if it's a way for him to pass the buck on wild decisions (e.g. three straight passes from your own two).

15 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Not breaking any news here, and much like all of us, I'm just looking for answers, but this isn't the first end of game blunder under McDermott. I'm starting to wonder if McDermott is trusting his coordinators too much at the end of these games. 13 seconds we saw some of the worst defense ever at the end of regulation. Was that Leslie Frazier or McDermott? Yesterday, we see 3 straight passes at the end. Was that McDermott or Brady? Ps, throwing or running there , there's an argument to be made for both. McDermott is 8 seasons in, I'm starting to wonder if his end of game management is more on the coordinators than himself. Don't get me wrong, he shares plenty of the blame. It just blows my mind they cannot figure out how to handle the end of games. 

Didn't he say something to the effect of "he would've preferred to run at least once" or something along those lines?

That's him throwing his coordinator under the bus.  Ultimately, he's still responsible.  He should've already told Brady what he would like to do there, even as a general framework, before the drive even started. 

11 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Not accepting the 10 second runoff because you were gonna drive 65 yards from your own 4 with 40 secs and no timeouts was just mindbogglingly stupid. 

Sounds like a McD decision to me

You don't trust Allen can go 50 yards in 40 seconds to give us a chance to win?

He seems to trust his coordinators in those situations for sure, especially offensively. Maybe he should take the reins more. I'm not sure. But I'm sure he has told them that he trusts them and wants to empower them. I think that is the right approach most of the time, but you also want to trust, but verify. He needs to make sure that critical moments are correctly called.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

How are these coaches not on the same page?

McD has to implement what he expects out of his coordinators and force ownership on decisions and he needs better communication.

I can see already if McD was my boss, i'd lay a piling steamer on his desk the first day and then quit.

• Dislike 1

Just now, Jauronimo said:

There was actually 32 seconds when they got the ball ... and 50 yards would have resulted in a 65 yard FG attempt. So yeah, it was a pretty freaking stupid decision.

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Allen was having a bad game yesterday. What was he 9 for 30 for 130 yards. The smart play was to play for OT in that spot.

• Agree 2

If he's the one making the baffling decisions it's pretty bad.

If he's hands off in those big moments it's almost more damning. He shouldn't be a HC if he isn't actively involved in those moments. 

31 minutes ago, Steptide said:

We will never know the actual truth about this but in my mind I’m guessing all calls/ formations are being at the very least told to Sean through the headset and if he saw something he didn’t like I think it would be on him to change it but again I’m not sure how it actually works.

28 minutes ago, Success said:

Honestly, the HC should be making the call on the overall strategy for the last series.  It would be hard to believe that it was Brady's call alone.  I would hope they at least discussed it, even if it was Brady's idea initially.

Judging by comments from this presser, it may have been the case where Brady was in charge. Mookie asked McD about being caught on camera saying into his headset that they “Only need 10 yards” during the last series. Speculation on my end, but I don’t think McD is please we went for 3 deep passes.

21 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Allen was having a bad game yesterday. What was he 9 for 30 for 130 yards. The smart play was to play for OT in that spot.

That's a valid argument. I think you try to give great QBs another shot but it was clear he was off.  The flip side of that argument is, what will be any different in OT?  Offense still needs to score to win.  McDermott and Allen don't exactly have a sterling record in OT either.     

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Jauronimo said:

That's a valid argument. I think you try to give great QBs another shot but it was clear he was off.  The flip side of that argument is, what will be any different in OT?  Offense still needs to score to win.  McDermott and Allen don't exactly have a sterling record in OT either.     

In OT they wouldn't be starting a drive from there 3 unless they muff the KO return or the Texans punter (assuming HOU gets the ball first) pins them back there.

If it was even partially a blundered call late in the game, you know Sean has a part to play. Trubisky not throwing on 1st down, when the whole world knows you're running? Not making them burn those timeouts?  This crap will keep happening like Groundhogs Day.

44 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Didn't he say something to the effect of "he would've preferred to run at least once" or something along those lines?

That's him throwing his coordinator under the bus.  Ultimately, he's still responsible.  He should've already told Brady what he would like to do there, even as a general framework, before the drive even started. 

Farwell, Frazier, Dorsey, Brady....the scapegoats are bottomless. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Not in that situation/moment, throwing from your own end zone. The losing result they got was more likely

Bills had the momentum...getting to ot was the play. 

(50 yards only gets them a 64 yard fg att, needed at least 60)

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

In the end it doesn’t matter. He’s the head coach he can overrule any call. He’s either incompetent himself or hires incompetent coaches. I would say because we have consistently had horrendous game management during his time here…the problem is him. 

Not saying this is what you did, but so many people for years would hold McD blameless for our horrible playoff and end of game defenses and say it was just Frazier, as if McD was completely helpless to change anything or make a different call or fire him and hire someone else. 

The guy simply has no idea what he’s doing after 8 years on the job and many more as an assistant or coordinator. His time to go was many years ago now.