Mini rebuild. Why is anyone that surprised?

Blackbeard

8 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

We ALL knew what this season was likely going to be.  

We gutted a bunch of defensive players.  We traded stallworths Diggs and Davis.  We didn't trade up for a WR or trade for a #1.

You cannot think that we will have a stacked roster year in, year out.  There HAS to be some rebuilding..  and this is it.  There is something called "the cap".

We are retooling.  Hoarding draft pics etc.

I am not surprised the talent level has dropped off.  Does it suck, sure.  But we are regrouping to enter into Allen's second window imo.

Everyone needs to calm down.  

Because we see teams like the Chiefs and Brady-led Patriots w/ subpar WRs win games and feel like Allen should be able to do the same. I’m not throwing in the towel yet. IMO, the coaching is the bigger than any roster issues 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Spagnuolo literally had a head coaching job and was fired from it and scooped up by the chiefs haha I don’t really get the logic.  That happens to offensive coaches all the time too that just can’t quite cut it as head coaches. Every promising OC doesn’t get a head coaching job and hold onto it,  it’s a pretty constant churn of guys getting promoted and then fired  and beane could pretty easily grab someone from that group which is what a lot of the good teams do on both sides of the ball (Washington with kingsbury for example)

And to go even further, there’s multiple guys that are head coaches right now that have made the leap from DC to head coach, gotten fired, taken another DC job then gotten other head coaching jobs; it’s not like that never happens.  Raheem Morris, Dan Quinn, and Todd Bowles all have done that.  I think the issue with spags is he’s 64 now and teams don’t know when he’ll hang it up or he probably would’ve gotten another shot too. Its not because he’s a defensive minded guy that failed as a head coach once before that is scaring teams off 

the last hiring cycle or so was a pretty even split offensive vs defensive head coaches…y’all are making it sound like nobody picks up defensive head coaches anymore lol  Heck we just lost to one yesterday 

Article from 2023 below. Your anecdotes are the exceptions, not the rule.

Quote:

The lack of continuity extends to offensive coordinators because 46 of the 69 head coaches hired have come from that side of the ball. In the last five years, it’s 25 of 37, so essentially two of every three coaches hired have an offensive background. In the last four cycles, it was 21 of 30.

12 minutes ago, WeckMonster said:

Article from 2023 below. Your anecdotes are the exceptions, not the rule.

Quote:

The lack of continuity extends to offensive coordinators because 46 of the 69 head coaches hired have come from that side of the ball. In the last five years, it’s 25 of 37, so essentially two of every three coaches hired have an offensive background. In the last four cycles, it was 21 of 30.

How are they exceptions exactly?  More offensive minded head coaches hired means more fired which means more available for OC which was point 1.  They’re not all getting hc jobs and disappearing lol you made it sound like there will never be anyone to do the job.  

then the second point was spagnuolo almost assuredly gets a head coaching job and promoted out of DC if he wasn’t so old, it has nothing to do with him being defense minded.  And I listed multiple other guys that are coaching right now who followed that same trajectory with less success than spags.

then the third point was I think we may be seeing a swing back to defense look at what happened the last hiring cycle.  It’s not like there’s some common convention that’s it’s a no no to hire defensive minded head coaches now that only Buffalo doesn’t know 😂

really don’t think you’ve disproven anything here 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1