Mini rebuild. Why is anyone that surprised?

Blackbeard

I came in with lowered expectations.  I wasn't tripping on this year, just wanted to see our young guys keep developing and see a good foundation.  

Our 3-0 start changes a lot of those expectations for a lot of people.  So the past 2 weeks felt as bad as when we had bad losses in the past for even those who didn't have crazy expectations ahead of this season.

BUT - I think the bigger issue is the yet again new embarrassing way the Bills found to lose to continue to validate that term "Billsy" way to lose.  Getting smashed by Ravens on a short week in a must win game for them, in their house while missing 3 of our best defenders didn't feel as gross as losing this way this week.  A game where Allen was atrocious, coaching was stupid, and we kept shooting ourselves in the foot.  

That being said, I have since calmed down more now from my McD must go stance I had after the game yesterday.  Especially since seeing the terrible decisions Allen was making on the final series and seeing how pissed McD was on the sideline telling me this may have been more Allen than McD to blame.  Then Brady's interview today was telling that clearly it was Allens decision to take those deep shots and how he has to do a better job to not even give him those options moving forward.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bills6969 said:

And we can’t?

figure it out, McD and Brady

Their offense wasn’t that great last playoffs other than the Bills game, and we were running a MASH unit out there.

They won on strong defense, good coaching and a little bit of luck. We don’t have an elite defense right now.

5 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

We ALL knew what this season was likely going to be.  

We gutted a bunch of defensive players.  We traded stallworths Diggs and Davis.  We didn't trade up for a WR or trade for a #1.

You cannot think that we will have a stacked roster year in, year out.  There HAS to be some rebuilding..  and this is it.  There is something called "the cap".

We are retooling.  Hoarding draft pics etc.

I am not surprised the talent level has dropped off.  Does it suck, sure.  But we are regrouping to enter into Allen's second window imo.

Everyone needs to calm down.  

They have an offensive genius as a HC. 

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

This team was down 4 of its top 6-7 defensive players (Ed, Von, Milano, and Taron) plus another starter and role player (Rapp and Austin Johnson) and the team was also down its top WR in a WR core that is lacking, and they still played a close game away against a good team. 

You mean the same Von who has been relegated to playing only on obvious passing downs?

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

Teams who have an elite QB in their prime, that haven't made it to a Super Bowl (let alone won one), don't do full rebuilds.

They can take a step back, while remaining competitive, but what we've seen the past two weeks isn't a "step back".  It's negligence and shocking incompetence.  

I don't believe we're as bad as we've looked these past two weeks.. as we tend to do this for 2-3 games a year, ie the swoon.. it just typically occurs a little later in the season.   But even then, it hasn't looked like we are an embarrassment, which is what we've looked like two weeks in a row. 

It look like a team that lost a bunch of vet leadership and replaced it with JAGs…… which is exactly what it is.

5 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

Great.  Fire your GM and HC.

Lose another few years getting the new GM and coach's pieces in place.  Makes sense.  

You do recognize firing one (let alone BOTH) means likely new schemes, new personnel, etc.  That DEF doesn't happen overnight.

You realize drafting new wideouts next year mean two to three years before they are solid contributors? IF they pick anyone worth having.

4 hours ago, Success said:

It's football. Practically every game comes down to a few plays.

What if Brady doesn't call the trick play last week?  What if we don't pass 3x yesterday?

We can beat anyone.  I'll stand by that.

Not the Chiefs in the Playoffs🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Airseven said:

It seems the Bills have become what most level-headed fans expected them to be. A borderline playoff team pacing for 9-8.

9-8 and no playoffs. That was my pick.

I was really stunned by all the 11,12 and 13 win predictions!!! Kinda had me doubting myself…..almost.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Not the Chiefs in the Playoffs🤷‍♂️

In previous years?  True.  

There is no rule though.

Players and teams lose to other players and teams, until they don't.  Jordan couldn't get past the Celtics, then the Pistons, until he did.  Manning couldn't get past the Pats, until he did.

6 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

We gutted a bunch of defensive players.  We traded stallworths Diggs and Davis.  We didn't trade up for a WR or trade for a #1.

You cannot think that we will have a stacked roster year in, year out.  There HAS to be some rebuilding..  and this is it.  There is something called "the cap".

I am not surprised the talent level has dropped off.  Does it suck, sure.  But we are regrouping to enter into Allen's second window imo.

Yeah, the first 3 games gave us false hope. What really gets me is that KC is never in this type of situation. Why not? They draft far better than the Bills do. They won last year because of the defensive side draft picks. We draft Elam. KC is where they are because of great drafting. I just wish we could compete with that. 

1 hour ago, WeckMonster said:

Successful Offensive Coordinators become Head Coaches.  So McDermott will always have either a subpar Offense, or be hiring a new OC with a new system, etc.  There's basically no scenario where McDermott will be able to have a Championship window with OC continuity.

Chiefs won't have that problem.  Their D's been great but nobody's hiring Spagnolo as HC.  So D stays strong.  And with Reid and Mahomes continuity you can get away with injuries, cutting stars, journeyman lineman, 6th round running backs, etc.  That extends championship windows.

Just look at McDermott's defensive continuity.  Every year, catastrophic injuries are managed b/c Beane can get the exact profile McDermott wants to plug and play UDFAs, etc and get by.

Spagnuolo literally had a head coaching job and was fired from it and scooped up by the chiefs haha I don’t really get the logic.  That happens to offensive coaches all the time too that just can’t quite cut it as head coaches. Every promising OC doesn’t get a head coaching job and hold onto it,  it’s a pretty constant churn of guys getting promoted and then fired  and beane could pretty easily grab someone from that group which is what a lot of the good teams do on both sides of the ball (Washington with kingsbury for example)

And to go even further, there’s multiple guys that are head coaches right now that have made the leap from DC to head coach, gotten fired, taken another DC job then gotten other head coaching jobs; it’s not like that never happens.  Raheem Morris, Dan Quinn, and Todd Bowles all have done that.  I think the issue with spags is he’s 64 now and teams don’t know when he’ll hang it up or he probably would’ve gotten another shot too. Its not because he’s a defensive minded guy that failed as a head coach once before that is scaring teams off 

the last hiring cycle or so was a pretty even split offensive vs defensive head coaches…y’all are making it sound like nobody picks up defensive head coaches anymore lol  Heck we just lost to one yesterday 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

3 hours ago, Success said:

The overreactions on this thread & board right now border on comical.

While it isn't all "we're fine," we lost on a long FG w/ regulation expiring, on the road, to a top team.  

I feel like people just started watching the game.  The Ravens game was bad, but everyone knows we were starting to roll until that trick play.  I can probably go back and look at the last 20 Super Bowl finalists, and find much worse losses & stretches in their regular season for most of them than what we've had here.

What sucks the soul out of some of us is it’s Terrible coaching decisions that are causing these losses.

Trick play, Three passes out of the EZ. These are egregiously bad.

Add to that 3rd and forever conversions. And, not just this year but as a matter of coarse through his whole tenure here. 
   When the coaches ( leaders) are that football 101 inept how can you expect the players to grow ? You think they don’t know stupid decisions when they see them?

8 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

Even one of the biggest Bills and Allen supporters think it's time to move on from Mcdermott , way too many crunch time screw ups and many of the screw ups have come after the biggest screw up ever in playoff history 13 secs

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Buffalo lost its 2 toughest road games.  Without multiple top tier players in each game.  Beat the jets and they are 4-2.  With wins at the Dolphins and Jets.  The world isnt falling. 

Fair point. 

24 minutes ago, Success said:

In previous years?  True.  

There is no rule though.

Players and teams lose to other players and teams, until they don't.  Jordan couldn't get past the Celtics, then the Pistons, until he did.  Manning couldn't get past the Pats, until he did.

don’t disagree with the premise.

But, I have zero belief if it’s McD in a big game. 
   And, he hasn’t even made it into a SB. I shudder to think what he might do in one of those. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Boy said:

don’t disagree with the premise.

But, I have zero belief if it’s McD in a big game. 
   And, he hasn’t even made it into a SB. I shudder to think what he might do in one of those. 

Yea. I’m one of the few. That I think he actually stays well away from the offense on game day.

i used to think the opposite. Wants 3 runs. Last year Philly , and multiple other games in the past 

Im sure he chirps in the head set once in a while. But this year I honestly think he decided to just be ceo as head coach and TRUST and have FAITH in his coordinators. 

well. Good bye to that idea ladies and gentlemen. This game. Will SWING right on back to him having more control.

its a shame. All Josh and Brady had to do was complete passes/ take

the short underneath 

I think Brady just lets the players do what they want. They mentioned in offseason interview- players just get to tell him what plays they like and want to run. Mmmmmm. Ok. No. Coach needs to run a tighter ship. Enough of the faith crap. You know Josh is gonna do what he’s gonna do. He needs to be corralled A LOT. He needs to be reminded, A LOT to stay on schedule. 

19 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Because we are all a bunch of spoiled crybabies.  But this crybaby is getting sick of the McD show finally.  His face makes me angry now. 

I’m at a weird spot with this…if they can mcd unless they bring in a coach that runs the same defensive scheme I don’t know that this is even a playoff team for the first  year or two until they turn the defensive roster over. So it seems weird to draw the line at a one year dump a few contracts but be competitive ish situation.  It’s not like kc has been slapping up around in the playoffs. The bills have given them as good a run as anybody 

firing mcd probably causes a longer wait in josh Allen’s prime logically 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1