Mini rebuild. Why is anyone that surprised?

Blackbeard

55 minutes ago, mannc said:

Remember when the Chiefs traded Tyreek Hill and let a bunch of other high-priced starters walk, and then won two more Super Bowls during their “mini re-build”?

We ain’t the Chiefs unfortunately 😢

Edited by JaCrispy

Suprised? No, but overall many are less than thrilled with the way the rebuild has been constructed. Especially at safety and WR, two areas that needed the most help. There were affordable options out there on the market at Safety, and instead Beane outsmarted everybody and gave us a bunch of backup quality players and a day 2 rookie to replace Poyer & Hyde… Atleast try, don’t just say “well shucks those are big shoes to fill” and then fling some crap at the wall. 

Homers will say “well the cap”, but whose job is that in the first place? He’s left the team in a bad place financially with some bad deals. As far as WR, no there weren’t any great options on the market this past offseason, but Beane has missed the boat in the past, in particular when he had the chance to get Josh some help and he took Ford instead of Metcalf and Brown. Yet he then took their teammate Dawson Knox so the team was clearly scouting Ole Miss, and somehow they land on the guy who scored ZERO Touchdowns, but pass on the two monsters he played with, and then doubled down with a horrible extension. That type of miscalculation is inexcusable at the highest level, especially when you were actively scouting a team and still missed out on TWO legitimate WR 1’s…

Yes, he helped get this team out of purgatory, but if Doug Whaley had stayed and they drafted Josh Allen, is the team anywhere different right now, other than being anchored to McDermott bc of their Carolina love connection?

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Gugny said:

I, for one, did not expect both Josh and McDermott to regress.  

They both certainly have. 

That’s worrisome to me.  

Not sure it’s Allen, but moreso his supporting cast of mid wrs. 

And honestly, Allen’s had one bad game so far.   So for me, jury is still out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Most of us had tempered expectations to start, but the 3-0 start had people excited again.  I think the start had mostly to do with catching the Dolphins and Jags at their worst possible times. This team is a lot like the Squads from 2014-2019. Good enough to beat the bad teams and maybe even make the playoffs, but not a serious enough contender to be a Super Bowl threat and likely to lose most games against the top 10 teams. I see 8 to 10 wins as being realistic.

Hopefully this is just a quick rebuild and a stronger second run in Josh Allen's career is ahead.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Neither of those teams had a disgruntled wr that was at the very least mentally checked out.  It’s apples and oranges. The tyreek trade got rolling because their agent bluffed trying to drive his price up for kc 😂 he didn’t want to leave at all

the jets are 2-3 and losing close games while a good player they traded for refuses to show up which is the danger you run when trying to placate unhappy, disruptive players.  gotta know when to get what you can for a guy that doesn’t like his situation and move on or not take it on in the first place.  Bills got some great years out of Diggs but he clearly wasn’t happy and it was time to move on before he leaves as a free agent and you get nothing or he tanks his trade value 

I am thankful some of y’all aren’t running this team lol 

There is disgruntled employees all throughout the NFL, you want out? Play hard for 1 year more and we’ll oblige otherwise it didn’t matter he was under contract.

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Dont forget we wasted a top 10 pick on Oliver when there were better Days available…👍

Dont forget we wasted a top 10 pick on Oliver when there were better Days available…👍

Take A Bow Kiss GIF by Major League Soccer

You can say that again…

• Haha (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

We ain’t the Chiefs unfortunately 😢

The trade comparison doesn’t make a lick of sense…Diggs was actively unhappy with his situation and his head wasn’t in it.  Eventually we were going to be paying a premium for an indifferent wr who was leaving in free agency and ripped the bandaid off in a year where we had some other bad contracts on the books anyway and he still had some trade value

we’ll never know of course but I’m sure veach would’ve handled the situation the same way if tyreek started causing issues 

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

There is disgruntled employees all throughout the NFL, you want out? Play hard for 1 year more and we’ll oblige otherwise it didn’t matter he was under contract.

Play hard for 1 more year and we’ll take a big dead money hit the next year because he’s under contract for more than 1 additional year?  I really don’t get that at all 

The ‘oblige’ part is exactly what we did 🤣 we just picked a year where we were a bit behind the 8 ball already anyway to eat it all 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

44 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The trade comparison doesn’t make a lick of sense…Diggs was actively unhappy with his situation and his head wasn’t in it.  Eventually we were going to be paying a premium for an indifferent wr who was leaving in free agency and ripped the bandaid off in a year where we had some other bad contracts on the books anyway and he still had some trade value

we’ll never know of course but I’m sure veach would’ve handled the situation the same way if tyreek started causing issues 

Play hard for 1 more year and we’ll take a big dead money hit the next year because he’s under contract for more than 1 additional year?  I really don’t get that at all 

The ‘oblige’ part is exactly what we did 🤣 we just picked a year where we were a bit behind the 8 ball already anyway to eat it all 

Maybe I misspoke, didn’t he have an out in next years contract? If I’m wrong then yes it’s absurd but I could have sworn that was the Bills out, my mistake if not.

4 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

We ALL knew what this season was likely going to be.  

We gutted a bunch of defensive players.  We traded stallworths Diggs and Davis.  We didn't trade up for a WR or trade for a #1.

You cannot think that we will have a stacked roster year in, year out.  There HAS to be some rebuilding..  and this is it.  There is something called "the cap".

We are retooling.  Hoarding draft pics etc.

I am not surprised the talent level has dropped off.  Does it suck, sure.  But we are regrouping to enter into Allen's second window imo.

Everyone needs to calm down.  

Then why not cut Von for the cap space?

von is worthless 

4 hours ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

Rebuilding from what? Divisional round losses? Our franchise QB being 7 years into his career and having the worst pass catching group since he had to throw to the leftover trash of the drought era his rookie year is a complete organizational failure that starts with Brandon Beane

Amen.

Absolute failure.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

This whole offensive head coach thing is my new favorite thing on these boards haha like there isn’t a long list of offensive head coaches that have been held back by bad defenses and that the chiefs don’t win with defense all the time due to great defensive coaching. 

there’s literally an apparently genius level offensive mind that can’t really get to the next level because of the defense in our own division 😂. And his mentor Kyle Shanahan is apparently an even better offensive wizard and can’t beat the chiefs either.

literally what sets the chiefs apart in a league with several great offenses is that playoff defense always makes the huge play when they need it 

Successful Offensive Coordinators become Head Coaches.  So McDermott will always have either a subpar Offense, or be hiring a new OC with a new system, etc.  There's basically no scenario where McDermott will be able to have a Championship window with OC continuity.

Chiefs won't have that problem.  Their D's been great but nobody's hiring Spagnolo as HC.  So D stays strong.  And with Reid and Mahomes continuity you can get away with injuries, cutting stars, journeyman lineman, 6th round running backs, etc.  That extends championship windows.

Just look at McDermott's defensive continuity.  Every year, catastrophic injuries are managed b/c Beane can get the exact profile McDermott wants to plug and play UDFAs, etc and get by.

This team was down 4 of its top 6-7 defensive players (Ed, Von, Milano, and Taron) plus another starter and role player (Rapp and Austin Johnson) and the team was also down its top WR in a WR core that is lacking, and they still played a close game away against a good team. 

Overall the loss is not that big of a deal, if the Bills can win against the Jets they are fine they will be in a great position to win the division sitting at 4-2 with a tough part of their schedule out of the way. People have to stop being so hyperbolic when it comes to each game. This team is who we thought they were a good team with a flawed WR core and some young pieces here and there that might have some growing pains. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

This team was down 4 of its top 6-7 defensive players (Ed, Von, Milano, and Taron) plus another starter and role player (Rapp and Austin Johnson) and the team was also down its top WR in a WR core that is lacking, and they still played a close game away against a good team. 

Overall the loss is not that big of a deal, if the Bills can win against the Jets they are fine they will be in a great position to win the division sitting at 4-2 with a tough part of their schedule out of the way. People have to stop being so hyperbolic when it comes to each game. This team is who we thought they were a good team with a flawed WR core and some young pieces here and there that might have some growing pains. 

the next 6 games before the by it’s pretty realistic to go 5-1 or 4-2. Bills at worst should be 7-4 going into the bye week with 2 games against the patriots at the end of the season. Going 2-2 or maybe even 1-3 in the other 4 games probably wins us the division at 10-7 or 11-6

26 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Texans were down their top 2 RBs & lost their top WR at half. Dont use injuries as has excuse for this loss. Its indefensible to have this lack of talent.