Mini rebuild. Why is anyone that surprised?

Blackbeard

We ALL knew what this season was likely going to be.  

We gutted a bunch of defensive players.  We traded stallworths Diggs and Davis.  We didn't trade up for a WR or trade for a #1.

You cannot think that we will have a stacked roster year in, year out.  There HAS to be some rebuilding..  and this is it.  There is something called "the cap".

We are retooling.  Hoarding draft pics etc.

I am not surprised the talent level has dropped off.  Does it suck, sure.  But we are regrouping to enter into Allen's second window imo.

Everyone needs to calm down.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Because we all allowed ourselves to believe that the Bills were the team they looked like through the 2024 Super Bowl against the Jags.  With that monkey off our backs, we can resume the programming as per expected with JV receivers, a bad and undisciplined OL, and a D that loves to give up big plays on 3rd and long.  There's relief in experiencing what we expect to rather than to be surprised!

• Agree 2

Rebuilding from what? Divisional round losses? Our franchise QB being 7 years into his career and having the worst pass catching group since he had to throw to the leftover trash of the drought era his rookie year is a complete organizational failure that starts with Brandon Beane

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

As it currently stands right now, we have around 10 mil in cap space going into next season which is among one of the worst in the league.

And for the hoarding of draft picks comment, we have 8 picks which includes what looks like a late 2nd rounder from the Vikings (which could be helpful) and an extra 4th and 6th. 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

Rebuilding from what? Divisional round losses? Our franchise QB being 7 years into his career and having the worst pass catching group since he had to throw to the leftover trash of the drought era his rookie year is a complete organizational failure that starts with Brandon Beane

Rebuilding from all the veterans on our defense leaving. Probably a year late tbh. We’ve lost White, Poyer, Hyde, Edmunds in the past two years and Von Miller has been effectively out with injury/suspension. We also lost all of our veteran WRs this offseason.

We’re eating a big helping of dead cap this year. The goal is to get young guys some experience and do the best we can.

Just now, DapperCam said:

Rebuilding from all the veterans on our defense leaving. Probably a year late tbh. We’ve lost White, Poyer, Hyde, Edmunds in the past two years and Von Miller has been effectively out with injury/suspension. We also lost all of our veteran WRs this offseason.

We’re eating a big helping of dead cap this year. The goal is to get young guys some experience and do the best we can.

So we're letting the guy who couldn't get the team over the hump build a new roster that will do what exactly? The same thing?

• Agree 1

Teams who have an elite QB in their prime, that haven't made it to a Super Bowl (let alone won one), don't do full rebuilds.

They can take a step back, while remaining competitive, but what we've seen the past two weeks isn't a "step back".  It's negligence and shocking incompetence.  

I don't believe we're as bad as we've looked these past two weeks.. as we tend to do this for 2-3 games a year, ie the swoon.. it just typically occurs a little later in the season.   But even then, it hasn't looked like we are an embarrassment, which is what we've looked like two weeks in a row. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

As it currently stands right now, we have around 10 mil in cap space going into next season which is among one of the worst in the league.

And for the hoarding of draft picks comment, we have 8 picks which includes what looks like a late 2nd rounder from the Vikings (which could be helpful) and an extra 4th and 6th. 

The Buffalo Bills are projected to have $14 million in cap space for 2025, according to Over The Cap. This is based on a projected salary cap of $260 million.

24 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

We gutted a bunch of defensive players.  We traded stallworths Diggs and Davis.  We didn't trade up for a WR or trade for a #1.

You cannot think that we will have a stacked roster year in, year out.  There HAS to be some rebuilding..  and this is it.  There is something called "the cap".

I am not surprised the talent level has dropped off.  Does it suck, sure.  But we are regrouping to enter into Allen's second window imo.

If I'm retooling, I'm starting with giving the franchise player the proper tools, not pretending Mack Hollins is a starting WR on a team still planning on making a playoff run.

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You can't waste a year of Allen.

He could get injured at anytime.

Look what happend to Cam Newton.

Beane has failed us and Allen. Why people trust him at this point is nuts to me.

I get that, but you also cannot afford to bring in the best every year to surround him.  The league is cap prohibited in this respect.  Something HAS to give.

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

full rebuilds.

Never said that.

28 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

Donte Stallworth was really underappreciated in his time here. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

If I'm retooling, I'm starting with giving the franchise player the proper tools, not pretending Mack Hollins is a starting WR on a team still planning on making a playoff run.

And just how do you think the Bills afford to do so?  

Some of you just totally forget the cap (and not to mention, availability of personnel)

Edited by Blackbeard
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I expect ups and downs with the roster over the course of Josh's career.

But having games where the entire team is flat and unprepared, and watching another series of botched decisions when it comes time for situational football, is unacceptable.

In these down roster years, it should be Josh and coaching that carries us through. Just like Mahomes and Reid got the Chiefs through their season last year. Right now, it's just Josh. And if he is off, or having a bad day, well... we all just saw what happens.

• Agree 2