Allen looks.. off this year.

As you can see by the title, I think Allen looks a little off. And no I’m not saying he’s “lost a step” and I don’t think it has anything to do with his receivers. I’m judging this based of his stats. Hes yet to throw a pick this year or throw for 300+ yards in a game. I hate to say it, but I sorta miss the careless 18 turnovers a year Allen. Because the fact is, we were WINNING and Allen was flourishing . I think with 2021 Allen, we win yesterday. I also notice he’s sliding on a lot of runs. I don’t know I could be wrong. Let me know what you guys think..

Edited by iwishitwerecolder

Lost a step? Off? 

When will this end?

Off but wins Player Of The Month?

Weird. The last time he won that award was during that 2020 season, twice, which he was undoubtably robbed of the MVP. 

That season might have been one of the best by a QB ever. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Sojourner said:

Lost a step? Off? 

When will this end?

Off but wins Player Of The Month?

Weird. The last time he won that award was during that 2020 season, twice, which he was undoubtably robbed of the MVP. 

That season might have been one of the best by a QB ever. 

Reread what I said. I said I’m not saying he has lost a step, I just think he’s changed his game up a little bit

I think the bigger issue is Brady's refusal to allow Allen to be himself. Allen is a top 3 quarterback but is 22nd in the league in pass attempts. Brady is essentially taking the game out of his hands and putting it on our run game. Brady seems to have a fascination of running out of the heavy package on first downs and not mixing it up while teams stack the box against the run and put the Bills into 2nd and 3rd and long situations allowing the defense to play solely for a pass. In the game day thread I kept asking why we wouldn't go play action on first down when the Texans were selling out for the run every time Anderson was on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

He doesn't look "off" to me at all.

After the first three weeks, most agreed that he looked the best he had since 2020, and that he was likely gonna be an MVP favorite all year. His time-to-throw was at a career low, and he was throwing accurately and decisively and going through his progressions with purpose and precision.

He looked bad the past two weeks because the Ravens and Texans weren't scared of his receivers or the offensive playcalls, and they sent exotic blitzes and zero blitzes and played tight man coverage behind it. No one got open, and Josh spent most of both games running for his life and trying to create offense because his OC and WRs weren't giving him anything to work with.

When Josh Allen has protection and WRs getting separation and an even decent offensive gameplan, he's elite. When every play is a jailbreak and no one's getting open and his OC is dialing up bad gameplans, he looks "off".

Nothing is wrong with the guy. His surrounding talent and OC are the difference between "MVP season" and "something's wrong with Josh". It's early enough in the season that he can revert more to the former than the latter, but its gonna take his OC evolving and throwing counter-punches and his WRs getting schemed open or stepping their game up.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, HansLanda said:

Here is what happens when you have no WRs open. Josh has to run around and take more hits. Not all on him. 

As much as the players around him need to get better, if Allen hits those two TDs to Hollins and Kincaid, the outcome would’ve been very different and this post wouldn’t exist.

Just now, Brand J said:

As much as the players around him need to get better, if Allen hits those two TDs to Hollins and Kincaid, the outcome would’ve been very different and this post wouldn’t exist.

Fair, but those are two plays which are fairly low percentage. It's the 2nd and 8's that have me more concerned. 

There’s definitely some growing pains when so many new pieces come in/guys move positions. I don’t think they’re gonna transform into some offensive juggernaut by any means but even if we stand pat things will improve a bit.  There’s a lot of blame to go around but we have had stretches of the oline looking awful for a few weeks then improving and that will make everything else a little easier 

2 minutes ago, iwishitwerecolder said:

Reread what I said. I said I’m not saying he has lost a step, I just think he’s changed his game up a little bit

I didn’t say you did. It was a reference to another thread which you referenced but in reality encompasses the same thing; you don’t like what you’ve seen and feel he is an issue. 

It’s just another thread of the same thing, hence the “when will this end”. 

Read what I said. His best season was 2020. His “careless” years. 

Yet, he gets an award of excellence for a whole month but could be better

• Like (+1) 1

He's basically 2022 Aaron Rodgers when he lost Adams.  Yards are down.  TD passes are down.  Don't let the lack of interceptions fool you either. His turnover worthy play percentage (a PFF lover's stat) is the worst since 2018.  The Jaguars game was a mirage because they really suck.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

He doesn't look "off" to me at all.

After the first three weeks, most agreed that he looked the best he had since 2020, and that he was likely gonna be an MVP favorite all year. His time-to-throw was at a career low, and he was throwing accurately and decisively and going through his progressions with purpose and precision.

He looked bad the past two weeks because the Ravens and Texans weren't scared of his receivers or the offensive playcalls, and they sent exotic blitzes and zero blitzes and played tight man coverage behind it. No one got open, and Josh spent most of both games running for his life and trying to create offense because his OC and WRs weren't giving him anything to work with.

When Josh Allen has protection and WRs getting separation and an even decent offensive gameplan, he's elite. When every play is a jailbreak and no one's getting open and his OC is dialing up bad gameplans, he looks "off".

Nothing is wrong with the guy. His surrounding talent and OC are the difference between "MVP season" and "something's wrong with Josh". It's early enough in the season that he can revert more to the former than the latter, but its gonna take his OC evolving and throwing counter-punches and his WRs getting schemed open or stepping their game up.

I think the Texans dodged a few bullets where Josh could’ve made them pay which kind of shows the risk/reward of that strategy but the ravens were pretty lights out.  It’s not all Josh’s fault by any means but the plays were there for him to win that Texans game.  

Reminded me a lot of the bills dolphins playoff game in defensive philosophy.  He was a few inches off on a couple deep shots that they were just handing to us pretty frequently from winning the game easily in both cases 

they were gambling the pass rush would get home before receivers could free up deep and it didn’t on quite a few occasions 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

He looks great to me.  Yesterday was rough, but he had more pressure on him than usual, a few bad drops by the WR's, and guys didn't seem to be getting open.

Literally 2 weeks ago, he was consensus MVP to that point of the season.

• Like (+1) 1