1 hour ago, boyst said:

In the last 4 years the Buffalo Bills are: 

13-15 in 1 score games

25-2 in all other games

What’s the breakdown based on records ?

W/L vs above 500 teams in close games 

w/L vs below 500 teams in close games 

56 minutes ago, Logic said:

The "Bills can't win close games" things has been talked about ad nauseum. 

What you basically showed with your side-by-side statistics is that the Bills usually win games by comfortable margins, but when they lose, it's usually "just barely". They very rarely get blown out (the Ravens game was the first time since 2021, for instance).

That's really all I take from that statistic.

It’s got to be better than a coin flip in close games.  What I take away is, teams they can slap in the mouth, they do.  When a team is near equal in talent, it’s highly questionable if the Bills will find a way not to lose. 

Also known as Feast or Famine.

43 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Kind of curious what other team’s records are in 1-score games. I think the Chiefs would be ridiculously good, and everybody else would be around where we are (.500).

My thoughts exactly: last time we came from behind or won a tight game vs a good team. Was @ BAL in the rain 3 years ago

Edited by balln

1 hour ago, Success said:

We have a close game problem. 

It really does seem to be a "tightness" thing at times.  The coaching just botched that last series yesterday. It felt like panic.

Sean and his merry men Always butcher close game situational plays. Any 7 year old knows to run 3 times and force them to burn all 3 timeouts. That game goes into OT with coaches that aren't morons.

6 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I’m counting 9-5 in one score games for KC last year including the playoffs.

10-3 in 2022

6-4 in 2021

Pretty ridiculous success considering most teams are a coin flip in 1 score games.

Andy Reid

The close game record is bad compared to the Chiefs....but the 25-2 is exceptional.   There have been some incredible losses.  THe one yesterday for me does not rise up as much as it does to many becuase the Bills looked like the second best team on the field for the second week in a row.  That is what I find disturbing.  Last year you lost to the Eagles, the Broncos, the Jets, the Patriots and I did not feel that way.  The only game last year I thought they were second best was the Bengals game.  They were in the game yesterday because Stroud made a couple bad plays and they started having terrible penalties.

Edited by Matt_In_NH

3 hours ago, boyst said:

13-15 in 1 score games

25-2 in all other games

This is not the "Da Vinci Code" discovery you think it is.  It means we are a good team that rarely loses big. 

2.jpg

3 hours ago, boyst said:

13-15 in 1 score games

25-2 in all other games

Probability says teams should be roughly .500 in close games.

On the other hand, the Bills aren't just a random team.  They're a good team.  They should win close games more often than lose them.  

You gotta give McD credit for a 38-17 season record over that span.  But the close game record is a legit cause for concern.  

Take a look at Belichick/Brady's record in close games. Montana/Walsh. Reid & Mahomes. 

We have one half of the equation (QB). We are missing that other half. 

Some will say Belichick is a defensive coach first. True. But his defenses were able to shut down elite offenses when it mattered most. Sean's defenses have never been at a Belichick level.