Off Line Pass Pro / QB Unforced Error All 22 Review - week 5 10/6/24 - Texans

Bocephuz

I watched every passing down snap on NFL + Premium  All 22 to evaluate pass blocking performance as well as Josh Allen unforced errors committed (PASS BLOCKING ONLY EVALUATED.. did not evaluate running plays). 

UNFORCED ERROR  =  Allen has time to throw, wr is open and he misses throw.. or.. Allen makes poor unforced decision 

OLINEMAN BEATEN =  O lineman clearly loses his one on one matchup... or.. clearly misreads stunt/combo block

____

OLINEMAN BEATEN STATS

DAWKINS -  1

EDWARDS -  1

MCGOVERN - 0

ANDERSON - 0

TORRENCE - 0

BROWN - 2 

-DAWKINS - Had a little trouble with the bull rush ( injury affecting him? ) but generally held up well ( except for last play of game unfortunately)

- EDWARDS -  Generally solid.. was only cleanly beaten once to my eye. 

- MCGOVERN - Very good game. Stout in pass protect. did not give up a pressure. 

- TORRENCE - Only one bad rep from what I saw. 

- BROWN  - had a questionable false start earlier in the game (bad call IMO). He and Edwards were both beaten on same rep late game.

Sig Plays

q1: UE1 - Josh has time... overthrows wide open Mack Hollins (could Hollins have tracked it better.. sure... could Allen have made a much better throw.. yes)

q1 -UE2 Josh has enough time.. misses deep out to Coleman on sideline

Q2 - UE 3 - Josh scrambles.. has easy button throw to open #15 .. ignores that and tries to throw cross body back over middle to Hollins. Incomplete

Q2 - UE 4 - Allen has easy button throw to open Samuel on shallow crosser but ignores that and throws deep to Kincaid who catches but is OOB

Q2 - UE 5 -  Has clean pocket .. underthrows to wide open Kincaid who has beat the defense and would have likely scored td with accurate throw

Q4 - UE6 - Josh locks onto primary target on left side and does not see the free blitzer on his right until too late. If he sees it he can hit Johnson in the flat to fill the void.. instead he doesn't .. and is hit and throws it away

Q4 -  O Line is beaten - Edwards beaten to inside/ Brown beaten to inside Josh scrambles to avoid takes nasty hit and leaves game

Q4 - UE 7 -Last series.. has time to throw.. has open Shavers on shallow crosser.. ignores that and forces deep sideline back shoulder to Coleman ( OPI)

Q4 - UE 8 - Passes up open Kincaid on crosser and overthrows Hollins deep left

Q4 - O Line beaten - Josh has open Samuel in middle of field but Dawkins guy bull rushes and hits Josh just as he is throwing 

OL SUMMARY :  The O Line was not the issue this game. For the most part.. Josh had fairly clean pockets. Most of the pressure he was under was self inflicted. 

QB UNFORCED ERRORS: Josh had 8 unforced errors this game. In all the games I have graded this is one of the worst grades for #17. The line performed quite well ..most the perceived "pressure" was due to either.. 1.) not seeing the free man coming on a blitz and throwing to the void  2.) no separation from WR when he hit his drop so he bailed right/ or... 3.) He had open easy button throws that he passed up to try to go for homerun play. The most disturbing thing I saw was that more often than not Josh was locked onto his primary target and rarely went through his progressions. As previously stated there were also too many plays were WRs did not get separation. That said there several easy button throws where guys were open that Josh chose to ignore.. and the results were evident.   Based on my history of doing this kind of analysis when a qb has 5 or more unforced errors the chances of his team winning decrease materially.  In this case.. Josh' 8 unforced errors were a material factor in the Bills not winning this game. 

Edited by Bocephuz
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

• Bocephuz changed the title to Off Line Pass Pro / QB Unforced Error All 22 Review - week 5 10/6/24 - Texans
49 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Now let’s do coach staff unforced errors ;)

Not making it crystal clear to Josh that we didn't need to throw deep on the last series was a big unforced error for Brady and McD 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bocephuz said:

In the past i used to do lengthy in depth posts with gifs.. don't have time for that nowadays. I also did not count the Mitch TurdBiscuit reps. 

I watched every passing snap on NFL + Premium  All 22 to evaluate pass blocking performance as well as Josh Allen unforced errors committed (PASS BLOCKING ONLY EVALUATED.. did not evaluate running plays). 

UNFORCED ERROR  =  Allen has time to throw, wr is open and he misses throw.. or.. Allen makes poor unforced decision 

OLINEMAN BEATEN =  O lineman clearly loses his one on one matchup... or.. clearly misreads stunt/combo block

____

OLINEMAN BEATEN STATS

DAWKINS -  1

EDWARDS -  1

MCGOVERN - 0

ANDERSON - 0

TORRENCE - 0

BROWN - 2 

-DAWKINS - Had a little trouble with the bull rush ( injury affecting him? ) but generally held up well ( except for last play of game unfortunately)

- BROWN  - had a questionable false start earlier in the game (bad call IMO). He and Edwards were both beaten on same rep late game.

Sig Plays

q1: UE1 - Josh has time overthrows wide open Mack Hollins ( could Hollins have tracked it better.. sure... could Allen have made a much better throw.. yes)

Q2 - UE 3 - Josh scrambles.. has easy button throw to open #15 .. ignores that and tries to throw cross body back over middle to Hollins. Incomplete

Q2 - UE 4 - Allen has easy button throw to open Samuel on shallow crosser but ignores that and throws deep to Kincaid who catches but is OOB

Q2 - UE 5 -  Has clean pocket .. underthrows to wide open Kincaid who has beat the defense and would have likely scored td with accurate throw

Q4 - UE6 - Josh locks onto primary target on left side and does not see the free blitzer on his right until too late. If he sees it he can hit Johnson in the flat to fill the void.. instead he doesn't .. and is hit and throws it away

Q4 -  O Line is beaten - Edwards beaten to inside/ Brown beaten to inside Josh scrambles to avoid takes nasty hit and leaves game

Q4 - UE 7 -Last series.. has time to throw.. has open Shavers on shallow crosser.. ignores that and forces deep sideline back shoulder to Coleman ( OPI)

Q4 - O Line beaten - Josh has open Samuel in middle of field but Dawkins guy bull rushes and hits Josh just as he is throwing 

OL SUMMARY :  The O Line was not the issue this game. For the most part.. Josh had fairly clean pockets. Most of the pressure he was under was self inflicted. 

QB UNFORCED ERRORS: Josh had 8 unforced errors this game. In all the games I have graded this is one of the worst grades for #17. The line performed quite well ..most the perceived "pressure" was due to either.. 1.) not seeing the free man coming on a blitz and throwing to the void  2.) no separation from WR when he hit his drop so he bailed right/ or... 3.) He had open easy button throws that he passed up to try to go for homerun play. The most disturbing thing I saw was that more often than not Josh was locked onto his primary target and rarely went through his progressions. As previously stated there were also too many plays were WRs did not get separation. That said there several easy button throws where guys were open that Josh chose to ignore.. and the results were evident.   Based on my history of doing this kind of analysis when a qb has 5 or more unforced errors the chances of his team winning decrease materially.  In this case.. Josh' 8 unforced errors were a material factor in the Bills not winning this game. 

Granted I may not have seen the all 22 perspective, and I don't think Allen played a great game.  but I do have to take some issues with your conclusions.

There is no such thing as a "perceived pressure"...and according to NFL stats on ESPN.com last night, Allen was under pressure on 45% of his drop backs..a ridiculous number.  If a Blitzer comes in unblocked, that's not a perceived pressure, that's an actual pressure.

And, he wasn't bailing early of the pocket to the right..he was going through his reads and NOBODY WAS OPEN...the bail to the right was in response to a pocket that was beginning to collapse, and he was trying to bide time hoping someone would break open...and they usually didnt.

5 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Granted I may not have seen the all 22 perspective, and I don't think Allen played a great game.  but I do have to take some issues with your conclusions.

There is no such thing as a "perceived pressure"...and according to NFL stats on ESPN.com last night, Allen was under pressure on 45% of his drop backs..a ridiculous number.  If a Blitzer comes in unblocked, that's not a perceived pressure, that's an actual pressure.

And, he wasn't bailing early of the pocket to the right.. he was going through his reads and NOBODY WAS OPEN...the bail to the right was in response to a pocket that was beginning to collapse, and he was trying to bide time hoping someone would break open...and they usually didnt.

Considering you haven’t see the all-22, you can’t say that with any certainty 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

And, he wasn't bailing early of the pocket to the right..he was going through his reads and NOBODY WAS OPEN...the bail to the right was in response to a pocket that was beginning to collapse, and he was trying to bide time hoping someone would break open...and they usually didnt.

Quarterbacks are responsible for adjusting to and beating the unblocked extra blitzer or "free man".  It is the QB job to identify and attack the "void" left by the blitzer.. whether that's throwing in the area voided by the blitzer, calling in an RB or TE to chip .. or taking off to run. If the QB does not do any of these things to counter the blitz by default the error is on the QB for lack of awareness. 

If you read my analysis .. I do say there there were several plays where he hit his drop and nobody was open or had separation.. and he therefore bailed to buy time. For those plays I did not give him an Unforced Error Grade.

On the other hand.. there were multiple easy button throws he could have executed within the pocket on time .. but he chose to bail out of the pocket to try and make the big play. When he incorrectly chooses to bail out of the pocket and gets" pressured" that is his fault and  to me those are "perceived pressures"

I would also respectfully say if you haven't watched the All 22 and are just watching the broadcast view .. it can be very difficult to see all of these factors clearly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bocephuz said:

not sure what you're referring to. I am an NFL + Premium subscriber and the All 22 was available around noon 

I’ve had it earlier on occasion than the 24 hours after game but it’s still not even available for me yet either. 

NFL+ Premium here. 

2 hours ago, Bocephuz said:

I watched every passing down snap on NFL + Premium  All 22 to evaluate pass blocking performance as well as Josh Allen unforced errors committed (PASS BLOCKING ONLY EVALUATED.. did not evaluate running plays). 

____

OLINEMAN BEATEN STATS

DAWKINS -  1

EDWARDS -  1

MCGOVERN - 0

ANDERSON - 0

TORRENCE - 0

BROWN - 2 

Sig Plays

q1: UE1 - Josh has time... overthrows wide open Mack Hollins (could Hollins have tracked it better.. sure... could Allen have made a much better throw.. yes)

Bottom line Josh has never been the same since that hit in Baltimore.  I hope the NFL finds out WTH Allen was allowed to go back in and not go to the tent. his ass was out cold at least for a few seconds.

8 minutes ago, Bocephuz said:

Quarterbacks are responsible for adjusting to and beating the unblocked extra blitzer or "free man".  It is the QB job to identify and attack the "void" left by the blitzer.. whether that's throwing in the area voided by the blitzer, calling in an RB or TE to chip .. or taking off to run. If the QB does not do any of these things to counter the blitz by default the error is on the QB for lack of awareness. 

If you read my analysis .. I do say there there were several plays where he hit his drop and nobody was open or had separation.. and he therefore bailed to buy time. For those plays I did not give him an Unforced Error Grade.

On the other hand.. there were multiple easy button throws he could have executed within the pocket on time .. but he chose to bail out of the pocket to try and make the big play. When he incorrectly chooses to bail out of the pocket and gets" pressured" that is his fault and  to me those are "perceived pressures"

I would also respectfully say if you haven't watched the All 22 and are just watching the broadcast view .. it can be very difficult to see all of these factors clearly. 

Thanks for the intelligent reply..as I stated in the original post, have not had the benefit of seeing the whole field on the live  broadcast presentation. I'm not sure what the NFL uses as its criterion for a pressure..i.e. if the qb bails early and "induces" pressure does it still count AS a pressure.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

clicking on the game brings it up

which i 100% was not aware of and now i feel like a jerk

Yeah, it’s not for me. 
I didnt interpret that as “jerk” like. So hopefully mine wasn’t either as that wasn’t the intention. 

35 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Yea I normally entirely agree with these but this game was a little more bullish on the oline than I was…plenty of opportunities for josh to win it regardless though.  

of course way more work went into this analysis than what I did though 🤣. So I could be entirely wrong haha