Off Line Pass Pro / QB Unforced Error All 22 Review - week 5 10/6/24 - Texans

Bocephuz

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

lol-  Allen makes me very happy-  I’m an Allen homer.  He was AWFUL on Sunday.  If you don’t see that, then there’s nothing that will ever make you say a bad word about him

Yes Allen was awful for a big part of the game Sunday though he was quite good in the 3rd Quarter.  But then again the O line was awful; the WR's were awful, the RB's average (at best) the D was awful for large parts of the game though like Allen had a great 3rd quarter. And of course the coaching was awful. 

But since I believe that Allen isn't and has never been a part of the real problem facing the Bills I don't see a need to dwell on his poor performance.  Every player at every position will have a couple a season.  The Bills issues that concern me are systemic and related to a franchise that values defense over offense in an era of football where the offense rules.

I was watching the Steelers/Cowboys game and marveling at how Tomlin is able to keep that Franchises head above water every season without a decent QB.  In fact it seems to me that Tomlin doesn't really care that he doesn't have a great QB under center.  The Steelers are exactly the team that Tomlin wants and is comfortable with. He believes that one day his focus on the D and his demand that the O play complimentary football to what the D does will pay off with a SB win and he doesn't need a great QB to do it. It never will IMO but I doubt you could convince Tomlin of that.

And you know who Tomlin reminds of?  McD.  I wondered as I watched that Sunday night game if McD wouldn't trade situations with Tomlin in a heartbeat.  There are a lot of coaches in the NFL that would give up their 1st born to have Allen as their QB.  Tomlin and I'm coming to believe that McD are not one of them. And this IMO might be at the core of a systemic problem facing the Bills that can only be solved if one of them leaves.  I know who I would keep.

23 hours ago, Bocephuz said:

I watched every passing down snap on NFL + Premium  All 22 to evaluate pass blocking performance as well as Josh Allen unforced errors committed (PASS BLOCKING ONLY EVALUATED.. did not evaluate running plays). 

UNFORCED ERROR  =  Allen has time to throw, wr is open and he misses throw.. or.. Allen makes poor unforced decision 

OLINEMAN BEATEN =  O lineman clearly loses his one on one matchup... or.. clearly misreads stunt/combo block

____

OLINEMAN BEATEN STATS

DAWKINS -  1

EDWARDS -  1

MCGOVERN - 0

ANDERSON - 0

TORRENCE - 0

BROWN - 2 

-DAWKINS - Had a little trouble with the bull rush ( injury affecting him? ) but generally held up well ( except for last play of game unfortunately)

- EDWARDS -  Generally solid.. was only cleanly beaten once to my eye. 

- MCGOVERN - Very good game. Stout in pass protect. did not give up a pressure. 

- TORRENCE - Only one bad rep from what I saw. 

- BROWN  - had a questionable false start earlier in the game (bad call IMO). He and Edwards were both beaten on same rep late game.

Sig Plays

q1: UE1 - Josh has time... overthrows wide open Mack Hollins (could Hollins have tracked it better.. sure... could Allen have made a much better throw.. yes)

q1 -UE2 Josh has enough time.. misses deep out to Coleman on sideline

Q2 - UE 3 - Josh scrambles.. has easy button throw to open #15 .. ignores that and tries to throw cross body back over middle to Hollins. Incomplete

Q2 - UE 4 - Allen has easy button throw to open Samuel on shallow crosser but ignores that and throws deep to Kincaid who catches but is OOB

Q2 - UE 5 -  Has clean pocket .. underthrows to wide open Kincaid who has beat the defense and would have likely scored td with accurate throw

Q4 - UE6 - Josh locks onto primary target on left side and does not see the free blitzer on his right until too late. If he sees it he can hit Johnson in the flat to fill the void.. instead he doesn't .. and is hit and throws it away

Q4 -  O Line is beaten - Edwards beaten to inside/ Brown beaten to inside Josh scrambles to avoid takes nasty hit and leaves game

Q4 - UE 7 -Last series.. has time to throw.. has open Shavers on shallow crosser.. ignores that and forces deep sideline back shoulder to Coleman ( OPI)

Q4 - UE 8 - Passes up open Kincaid on crosser and overthrows Hollins deep left

Q4 - O Line beaten - Josh has open Samuel in middle of field but Dawkins guy bull rushes and hits Josh just as he is throwing 

OL SUMMARY :  The O Line was not the issue this game. For the most part.. Josh had fairly clean pockets. Most of the pressure he was under was self inflicted. 

QB UNFORCED ERRORS: Josh had 8 unforced errors this game. In all the games I have graded this is one of the worst grades for #17. The line performed quite well ..most the perceived "pressure" was due to either.. 1.) not seeing the free man coming on a blitz and throwing to the void  2.) no separation from WR when he hit his drop so he bailed right/ or... 3.) He had open easy button throws that he passed up to try to go for homerun play. The most disturbing thing I saw was that more often than not Josh was locked onto his primary target and rarely went through his progressions. As previously stated there were also too many plays were WRs did not get separation. That said there several easy button throws where guys were open that Josh chose to ignore.. and the results were evident.   Based on my history of doing this kind of analysis when a qb has 5 or more unforced errors the chances of his team winning decrease materially.  In this case.. Josh' 8 unforced errors were a material factor in the Bills not winning this game. 

Fantastic job OP, thank you.

My one question is -- how confident are you on the unforced QB errors that the WR had enough separation to make a play without risking a turnover? I assume all of them, but we have heard the past 48 hours that WRs were not getting separation on the outside. Is this a false statement?

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Yes Allen was awful for a big part of the game Sunday though he was quite good in the 3rd Quarter.  But then again the O line was awful; the WR's were awful, the RB's average (at best) the D was awful for large parts of the game though like Allen had a great 3rd quarter. And of course the coaching was awful. 

But since I believe that Allen isn't and has never been a part of the real problem facing the Bills I don't see a need to dwell on his poor performance.  Every player at every position will have a couple a season.  The Bills issues that concern me are systemic and related to a franchise that values defense over offense in an era of football where the offense rules.

I was watching the Steelers/Cowboys game and marveling at how Tomlin is able to keep that Franchises head above water every season without a decent QB.  In fact it seems to me that Tomlin doesn't really care that he doesn't have a great QB under center.  The Steelers are exactly the team that Tomlin wants and is comfortable with. He believes that one day his focus on the D and his demand that the O play complimentary football to what the D does will pay off with a SB win and he doesn't need a great QB to do it. It never will IMO but I doubt you could convince Tomlin of that.

And you know who Tomlin reminds of?  McD.  I wondered as I watched that Sunday night game if McD wouldn't trade situations with Tomlin in a heartbeat.  There are a lot of coaches in the NFL that would give up their 1st born to have Allen as their QB.  Tomlin and I'm coming to believe that McD are not one of them. And this IMO might be at the core of a systemic problem facing the Bills that can only be solved if one of them leaves.  I know who I would keep.

I get the comparison and I can see some of it but since 2020 the Steelers have invested MUCH more on offense than defense.   Rounds 1-4- 16 picks on offense- 6 picks on defense.  Tomlin just needs to luck himself into a stud QB and his teams will be in the contention 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Fantastic job OP, thank you.

My one question is -- how confident are you on the unforced QB errors that the WR had enough separation to make a play without risking a turnover? I assume all of them, but we have heard the past 48 hours that WRs were not getting separation on the outside. Is this a false statement?

My pleasure thank you

That is a great question. I very much paid attention to separation and opportunity. For example.. there was a play in the red zone where Josh hit his drop and not a single WR had separation ... he really didn't have a choice but to bail out to the right to buy time for one of his wrs to get open somehow. I did not grade that as "unforced"

However.. there were several plays .. shallow crossing routes in particular .. where at least one WR had separation and was open.. but Josh chose to throw deeper to a WR that did not have separation. He was not "forced" to make that decision. Accordingly I graded that as an "unforced" error. 

Hopefully that makes sense. 

Edited by Bocephuz
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

See I watched the All22 and had the entirely opposite take. I thought the OL was god awful and the main reason he started off like 1/9 or whatever.

When every highlight is Allen bailing out of a collapsing pocket, I am suspicious of those stats. 

Then to top it off, Dawkins has the cajones to smack talk after.