Josh Allen Performance Yesterday..a Redux

31 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Josh was the worst player on the field for this offense yesterday.

Look at the final drive that cost us the game.  2nd and ten from our own end zone and he has Coleman and Kincaid each for a guaranteed 5+ yards giving us a more manageable 3rd down and not from inside our own end zone.  Which also gives us more room to punt and pin them back further if we don’t convert. 

Josh throws up a prayer to none other than a blanketed Mack Hollins.  WTF is he thinking.  This is as stupid as the decision to even throw all 3 downs by our coaches.  

Earlier he had a wide open Hollins on a post for a TD and he locks on to Coleman who isn’t open and throws it out of the end zone instead.  

Allen was absolutely terrible yesterday and I love Allen, but we have to all remove our bias and homer caps and be honest about his play yesterday.  I can’t think of a game he was worse since maybe his first game as a rookie.  

Probably the jags 9-6 game for me.  Both were bad when it came to pass protection and he made it worse.  

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This is an insane take in my opinion.

There is not a QB in the NFL who throws into tighter windows and makes covered guys open more than Josh Allen.

What… the… literal… bleep.

I can not begin to understand the mental

leaps one must make to think that the QB running for his life the entirety of the game and watching as his receivers dropped 5 passes, as well as a TD pass, was the problem. 

Excuse Me What GIF by CBS

Maybe you should rewatch the game.  He was terrible yesterday.  Does it mean no one else made mistakes?  Nope.  But no question this was the worse game Josh has played since his rookie year in my mind.  And I love Josh as much as anyone if not more, so I take no pleasure of saying any of this.  

The offense is starting to look like the offenses of Hacket with no creativity or rhythm and little situational awareness.   Top that with the majority of plays happening within 10yds of the LOS and defenses can just tee off. They have little fear of the 20-25yd crossing patterns.    How many times did they call the WR bubble screen thing.. it didn’t work.  No play action passes. Few designed rollouts .. Josh does this, but not by design.    

The offense is predictable and relies on short passes to the boundary or runs between the tackles.  Add in that we have no true “playmakers”… and it’s a recipe for failure.  

If Brady can’t adjust and figure it out.. the season is over in the WC round. 

28 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Im genuinely curious what some fans wanted Allen to do.

Escape an untouched rusher, roll to his right, and then throw to an absolutely blanketed receiver?

What was he supposed to do!? 

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Im genuinely curious what some fans wanted Allen to do.

Escape an untouched rusher, roll to his right, and then throw to an absolutely blanketed receiver?

What was he supposed to do!? 

Exactly!! Honestly, I was screaming for him to run more. That was the only option.

Couple things 

1 - ours WRs scare no defense 

2 - as a result, teams can play man against us and blitz more because they aren’t afraid of getting beat

3 - as much as he is a superhero, Allen wasn’t very good yesterday. It’s ok to say that too though he has little help besides cook.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Exactly!! Honestly, I was screaming for him to run more. That was the only option.

I do think he is so in his head about trying to be a pocket passer and not taking big hits running that he is becoming less aggressive. Same thing with the turnovers. Do we want safe, conservative Josh or do we want cray man Josh who does things no one else in the league can do but will make some crazy mistakes as well? 

I think most of the Allen critics yesterday and vs Baltimore are justified.  Be honest and try not to be a homer.  If I'm a defensive coordinator I make Allen beat you by throwing from the pocket and put a spy on him so he can't gain the edge.   I personally don't love his game from the pocket, sometimes he is slow to read what is happening and his passes aren't super accurate.  I love his game as he moves around and makes throws in crisis, or takes off an runs.

I don't know what happened yesterday, maybe he was still hurting from the Baltimore game.  Some of his short/med throws were woefully behind or sailing way too high... just no touch or accuracy.  Although to me the Hollins pass was fine and shoulda been caught.  The pass to Kincaid was horrendous, classic Allen throwing a frozen rope when a nice arc dropping in front of Kincaid so he can adjust and run under it was the play.

Anyway, Allen is the man.  He's the only reason the Bills are the Bills the past 6 years.   So that's just my critique, and no I could not do any better, lol.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

This is an insane take in my opinion.

There is not a QB in the NFL who throws into tighter windows and makes covered guys open more than Josh Allen.

I did not say he does not throw to tight windows....he does not throw to his first read much compared to the rest of the league and that has been a hallmark of his in the NFL.  He has been described as a see it throw it guy vs a guy that throws with anticipation.   He holds the ball long traditionally and that is what happened the last two weeks which results in more pressure.  You can think that is insane but it is all actually factual.  You can look at first read percentages and time to throw metrics....

• Thank you (+1) 1

It also seems like Shakir is the one who knows how to run a "fire drill" and help out his QB when he gets flushed from the pocket. I can't recall a time yesterday when Josh was running for his life and was able to find an open receiver. I do recall a few of those plays where receivers (Samuel, in particular) were just standing around.