The Miseducation of Josh Allen-Current State of the Offense

To start off I've been a massive McDermott and Beane supporter from word jump, but seeing what McDermott has reduced the offense to in an attempt to try and become a more balanced football team has me worried for the organization's future, most specifically what they are doing with their Quarterback.  

To get a better understanding of where they are at, I went back and took a look at Josh under each of his three offensive coordinators.  I did not include his rookie year. 

Passing Yards GM- Daboll (239), Dorsey (264), Brady (257)

Pass TDs/GM- Daboll (1.74), Dorsey (2.05), Brady (1.66)

INTS/GM- Daboll (.77), Dorsey (.96), Brady (.83)

TD/INT Diff- Daboll (.97), Dorsey (1.09), Brady (.83)

Comp PCT- Daboll (62%), Dorsey (66%), Brady (61%)

Multi Pass TD %-Daboll (57%), Dorsey (65%), Brady (41%)

100-199 Yrds Gms- Daboll (28%), Dorsey (19%), Brady (41%)

300-399 Yrds Gms- Daboll (20%), Dorsey (27%), Brady (16%)

One of thing Brady gets flowers for is reducing the amount of interceptions Josh is throwing.   The reality is they've done that by taking the ball out of Josh's hands.  He has reduced the interception percentage, but he has also cut his passing td output.     The Bills, by design are now paying a franchise QB a quarter of a billion dollars to hand the ball off and throw safe passes.   Rather than playing to win like they were under Daboll and Dorsey, they are playing not to lose.   The answer to that will be the talent they have on offense currently.   To that I say talent is only 50% of the equation.   

If you know your wideouts stink, do something to scheme them open.      They built a team to beat cover two defenses.  Lots of slot wideouts, running everything over the middle.  Now defenses have adjusted and are playing single high closed middle against them and they havent adjusted, and thats on Brady.    Run some outs, comebacks, flats and gos.    Clear out the seam and run a wheel to Cook.      I've never coached beyond high school but there is a saying in coaching that says, "You can tell bad coaches by how often they blame lack of talent for losing."   

The Bills are currently 22nd in yards per game.  21st in passing offense.  Josh is on pace for his lowest passing yardage and passing touchdown output since his second year in the league.   He is on pace for his lowest number of completions since his rookie year.  He is essentially having the season Russell Wilson had in Denver last year.     Until the Bills want to be the team that dictates the game to their opponent again, they will be a team trying to play ball control offense with a franchise QB who they want to make a game manager. 

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 3

Im going to be the douche and just say it... Josh needs to go to Terry and tell him its McDermott or him.  I get the conflict with Bills fans, but you don't drive a Ferrari 55mph.  If he wants a game manager, then trade Josh and draft one. Josh is never going to be just a game manager, you dont ask that of Marino, Elway etc!  So trade him and get your damn game manager or cut the bull ***** and give him the offense he needs

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, T.E. said:

Just trade Allen for Ezekiel Elliott and sign Ryan Tannehill so McDermott can run the ground-and-pound boring offense of his dreams.

That is the dream.  I bet he loves the structure of the Ravens, from afar.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Im going to be the douche and just say it... Josh needs to go to Terry and tell him its McDermott or him.  I get the conflict with Bills fans, but you don't drive a Ferrari 55mph.  If he wants a game manager, then trade Josh and draft one. Josh is never going to be just a game manager, you dont ask that of Marino, Elway etc!  So trade him and get your damn game manager or cut the bull ***** and give him the offense he needs

I was thinking the same thing this morning.  I feel like its the only way the Bills will move on from McDermott.   He will Tomlin his way to winning records by being better than bad teams as long as they let him.  But they need to get back to outscoring teams by passing the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

Been saying this since Brady took over.  Was worried they’d take the Ferrari and drive it like a Toyota.  There is a time and place for ball control but you gotta open it up if you have a weapon like Allen. Unfortunately this coaching staff’s misguided plan for ball control has lead to a lack of restocking of WR weapons…and here we are. 

I am convinced that McD is the common factor in disputes with Daboll, Dorsey, and Diggs. Brady is just a yes man right now. 

Edited by Jukester
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

why is this news lol

this was clearly what they wanted

I think everyone knew that.    I knew they were going to run the ball.   The issue here is they have also made the passing game completely inept.   There is absolutely no reason Josh should be at 61% completion percentage going back to last year. 

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

I was thinking the same thing this morning.  I feel like its the only way the Bills will move on from McDermott.   He will Tomlin his way to winning records by being better than bad teams as long as they let him.  But they need to get back to outscoring teams by passing the ball. 

He is a damn good man and Human being and a solid coach. We will never win a superbowl with him. Marty Schottenheimer and Marvin Lewis were solid coaches and great men as well, but sucked in the playoffs and never sniffed a Super bowl

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

I think everyone knew that.    I knew they were going to run the ball.   The issue here is they have also made the passing game completely inept.   There is absolutely no reason Josh should be at 61% completion percentage going back to last year. 

yes, again why is this a surprise

5 minutes ago, T.E. said:

Just trade Allen for Ezekiel Elliott and sign Ryan Tannehill so McDermott can run the ground-and-pound boring offense of his dreams.

Nailed it.  McD has dreams of the T formation, the Power I, and the Single Wing.  These notions of the forward pass and 'wide receivers' are just noise that interfere with the beauty and grace of 3 yards and a cloud of boredom

• Agree 2