Curtis Samuel -- wtf???

dave mcbride

Other than cook

who has Joe Brady effectively used?

kincaid? Nope

samuel ?  Proven nope

coleman?  Nope though one can argue 

Mack? Maybe over utilized 

idk what he’s trying to do other than the run game - so I guess that’s the identity - but why are they taking it away from Allen who is your star?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

He gets criticized rightly when things go wrong but no credit when things go right which is skewing things a bit imo.  I don’t think there’s many hcs or dcs that are holding the Texans to a 6 point second half with cam lewis, damar Hamlin, and first start Cole bishop on the field.  Missing collins they still had diggs/dell/woods which should’ve given us massive problems on paper 

so my fear is the ‘Jordan poyer in Miami after leaving Buffalo’ effect is going to happen to a lot of these defensive players the second you fire mcd then you’ve got an offensive coach in here that improves the offense at a massive expense to the defense and the team gets even worse.   It’s just such a huge risk when you’ve been right there against the chiefs in the playoffs where one lucky break for either team wins the game. If we start getting rocked like the cincy game in the playoffs a year or two in a row then yea definitely pull the trigger..  or if you’ve got a coach lined up that you absolutely love (do we trust pegula on something like this) it makes some sense also 

The Defense has let us down in every playoff loss

14 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

The Defense has let us down in every playoff loss

Has it?  A defense with freakin aj klein off the street taking 98% of the snaps against one of the most prolific offensive minds in history by some freakin miracle held up well enough for one of the premier qbs in the league to win the game with a 13 point second half. There’s absolutely no way you 100% blame the defense there 

13 seconds sure, 100% blame the defense

bengals game the offense was an absolute trainwreck and the defense held cincy to around their season average. 

afc championship year absolutely no chance we get past the ravens without a great defensive effort but only losses count apparently 😂

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

4 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Has it?  A defense with freakin aj klein taking 98% of the snaps against one of the most prolific offensive minds in history by some freakin miracle held up well enough for one of the premier qbs in the league to win the game with a 13 point second half. There’s absolutely no way you 100% blame the defense there 

13 seconds sure, 100% blame the defense

bengals game the offense was an absolute trainwreck and the defense held cincy to around their season average. 

The Bengals took their foot off the gas in the latter part of that game. They dominated the Bills D when it mattered.

First Brady has to pull his head out of his ass and stop the LOS passes. It's a waste of a play, especially when you run it, it fails and you run it 2 more times to also fail.  Throw the damn ball to him downfield or from the slot on a slant. We're wasting this guy in the exact manner we wasted Hines/Harty.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

You have to put this one on Brady. With Shakir out, he should have been the one to be able to step up and get targets. But they seem to only want to use him as a gadget guy occasionally. Plus, he is supposed to be getting rushing touches. But they haven't been doing that with him either.

9M for a gadget guy. What a stupid signing and moronic usage of a player who is substantially better then the way he's being used.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

The Bengals took their foot off the gas in the latter part of that game. They dominated the Bills D when it mattered.

the game was 17-10 in the late third then in the final minute of the third they went up 24-10.  Wasn’t really a whole lot of time for the bengals to take their foot off the gas there lol 

the offensive was worse, but that doesn’t even matter here.  Singling out just the defense for that loss is objectively ridiculous.  

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Judging from his performance in 2022 and 2023, Curtis Samuel is not a bad player at all and is indeed a moderately productive one if used properly. 

In this system, though, it feels like most throws to Curtis Samuel are behind the LOS and they seem to end up with him tackled around or slightly behind the LOS. It's baffling. He has long been a fairly productive player, with 171 touches (126 catches for 10 ypr; 45 runs for 5.1 ypc) and 10 TDs in the 25 games he played for Washington in the previous two years. That's basically 7 touches for 60 yards and .4 TDs per game, and with garbage QBs throwing to him. He had a 69 percent catch rate too. For the Bills, he has 12 touches on 16 targets/carries for freaking 54 yards over five games and hasn't sniffed the EZ. He is averaging 3.4 yards per play he's involved in, and he's a WIDE RECEIVER. That shouldn't happen; it's terrible. He's not a true difference maker, but he's certainly not this bad.  

At this point, I have to think he's simply being misused.

Although I know they won't do this, but when Shakir comes back I hope they send Dawson Knox to the bench and go to the 3 WRs with Kincaid at the TE position. Kincaid, IMO is being misused. Let him cook from the TE position. Knox gives you nothing. Also, throw Coleman some crossers. Give him the ability to RAC. That LB should not have been able to spy Josh. He should've been busy in pass coverage 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Unless he's got an injury that's not on the weekly injury report or just suddenly turned to dust over the offseason, the only reasonable conclusion is that Joe Brady has been criminally misusing/underusing him.

If this is the case, then IR his arse until he is healthy!! He's basically being a detriment to the offense. Along with Dawson Knox 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Unless you completely rest it for a month or so, turf toe will linger throughout the season and I suspect that’s ongoing issue.   Not sure how that might relate to how Brady uses him or not. 

I also suspect the toe is causing some issues. I think it makes sense at this point to just ir him and give him the time to heal. Let some other wr's get some experience and hope that the team is stronger overall heading into the playoffs. Maybe they're looking to use a couple of weeks plus the bye later in the season, but someone needs to be able to get open out of the slot if we don't have Shakir. Since it doesn't seem like Samuel can be that guy at this point and I would rather find that other guy sooner rather than later.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He could be struggling with turf toe, which is terrible for WRs. 

that said, they should try to use him more out of the backfield and more designed runs from the slot, 

I don’t think it’s that simple. Brady was also the OC that Samuel had his best season of his career with Teddy Bridgewater.  

It's a good point Biscuit but...

*  Josh has been less productive (ypg) this season than he was under Daboll or Dorsey.  

*  Josh just recorded the worst completion percentage for a game of his career.  

*  Kincaid and especially Knox are both unproductive this year.

*  Samuel's production should have gone up with a better QB.  Instead it's gone done.

*  Mack Hollins averaged 41 ypg in his one previous season as a starter.  This year he's averaging 11.  

What's the common denominator in these sad production stories? Joe Brady.  

Everybody Eats = Nobody Eats

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bouds said:

Rewatching some of the plays, he was open on some drag routes, might have had a step on the DB on 3rd down near the goal line.  It's clear he and Josh are not on the same page.

It was sometimes hard to pinpoint blame during the game.  I texted a friend of mine, that the O was "out of sync."

Sometimes passes were a little off.  But maybe they were a little off because the route wasn't crisp and precise.  One pass hit Coleman in the head when he wasn't expecting it.  Other times, the OL missed assignments and Josh was hurried.  

The offense just didn't execute well as a whole - except for maybe J. Cook.  Who's supposed to drill execution: Joe Brady.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

The offense just didn't execute well as a whole - except for maybe J. Cook.

The run blocking has been pretty good! So, Brady should leverage this more. When you add some screens and PLAY ACTION, and Josh has always been good with play action, it takes that run game to an even higher level. For some reason, the pass blocking has been bad these last 2 games. Use the run to help the pass even more. You play to your strengths. 

Josh was off from the get go. How did practice go for him all week? He could have had an off game, that happens... or he could be injured. That hit he took in the failed trick play was brutal. And of course now he has that nasty hit yesterday as well. Rest him up till Friday.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

Other than cook

who has Joe Brady effectively used?

kincaid? Nope

samuel ?  Proven nope

coleman?  Nope though one can argue 

Mack? Maybe over utilized 

idk what he’s trying to do other than the run game - so I guess that’s the identity - but why are they taking it away from Allen who is your star?

If the pro diggs crowd was giving Diggs credit for drawing defensive attention despite not having flashy stats down the stretch last year, Kincaid should get the same treatment imo.  He gets a lot of attention that is probably helping guys like hollins get comically wide open and we still can’t make the play for various reasons 🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, schoolhouserock said:

I think Samuel has been getting his fair share of looks / designed plays. I also think he has been bad with nearly all of his opportunities. The Bills need better out of him - or to stop calling his number altogether.

Can’t blame him for the screens in this most recent game…the blocking was horrid in a situation where a screen should’ve worked numerous times 

23 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

The run blocking has been pretty good! So, Brady should leverage this more. When you add some screens and PLAY ACTION, and Josh has always been good with play action, it takes that run game to an even higher level. For some reason, the pass blocking has been bad these last 2 games. Use the run to help the pass even more. You play to your strengths. 

Josh was off from the get go. How did practice go for him all week? He could have had an off game, that happens... or he could be injured. That hit he took in the failed trick play was brutal. And of course now he has that nasty hit yesterday as well. Rest him up till Friday.  

I think he tends to let things snowball when he has to watch the defense get matched on a few times and he starts pressing a bit then sprinkle in a few drops/pressure and he starts pressing even more.  

it’s not really unique to him, Rodgers  took a couple sacks that affected him so much that he wasn’t even stepping into throws even with time in the jets game this week.  Eventually he settled down a bit but the damage was done (in both cases). Once they start losing faith in the oline qbs start taking matters into their own hands and bailing clean pockets etc not expecting them to hold up 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan