Curtis Samuel -- wtf???

dave mcbride

7 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

In fairness we have tried the WR screens with him. He just didn’t have the blocking in front of him like WA had. And  he doesn’t have that same burst right now. 

Yep and it isn’t easy when everyone is playing 10 in the box against you. The biggest fear entering the year was that the WRs would be so bad teams could deploy extra men to attack the QB. That’s EXACTLY how it is, predictably, playing out. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Unless you completely rest it for a month or so, turf toe will linger throughout the season and I suspect that’s ongoing issue.   Not sure how that might relate to how Brady uses him or not. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

Unless you completely rest it for a month or so, turf toe will linger throughout the season and I suspect that’s ongoing issue.   Not sure how that might relate to how Brady uses him or not. 

Then he should sit.  Heal up.  Same with Allen.  We know of at least 2 injuries, the hand and now the head. rest up, dont make it worse.  Given the state of the offensive coaching, Trubisky can throw bad passes and hand off 30 times a game just as well as Allen

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

In fairness we have tried the WR screens with him. He just didn’t have the blocking in front of him like WA had. And  he doesn’t have that same burst right now. 

Its honestly crazy…the screen was the perfect call pretty much every time we called it as far as defensive looks go and the blocking was so catastrophically bad lol I’ve never seen anything like that 

50 minutes ago, MPL said:

It might be important to remember that Diggs was still on the roster when Samuel was signed. I don't think they were planning on trading Diggs when they signed Samuel. And then, they had to trade Diggs, or at least felt like they had to. And now Samuel isn't being setup for success at all because, ya know, it's a WR room full of slot guys. 

They had a whole spring and summer to adjust how they wanted to use CS1. 

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Judging from his performance in 2022 and 2023, Curtis Samuel is not a bad player at all and is indeed a moderately productive one if used properly. 

In this system, though, it feels like most throws to Curtis Samuel are behind the LOS and they seem to end up with him tackled around or slightly behind the LOS. It's baffling. He has long been a fairly productive player, with 171 touches (126 catches for 10 ypr; 45 runs for 5.1 ypc) and 10 TDs in the 25 games he played for Washington in the previous two years. That's basically 7 touches for 60 yards and .4 TDs per game, and with garbage QBs throwing to him. He had a 69 percent catch rate too. For the Bills, he has 12 touches on 16 targets/carries for freaking 54 yards over five games and hasn't sniffed the EZ. He is averaging 3.4 yards per play he's involved in, and he's a WIDE RECEIVER. That shouldn't happen; it's terrible. He's not a true difference maker, but he's certainly not this bad.  

At this point, I have to think he's simply being misused.

Brady took a decent wideout, linked him up with one of the best QBs in the NFL, and transformed him into a nonentity.

That takes some kind of skill.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

His goal isn't to make the offense worse.  The offense being terrible is a side effect of his monomaniacal focus on complimentary football and desire to field an offense that would have been perfectly average in the 1970s.  His goal is to show everyone how brilliant his system is and isn't going to suddenly change course. He coaches by platitudes and when things go wrong he doubles down.

He gets criticized rightly when things go wrong but no credit when things go right which is skewing things a bit imo.  I don’t think there’s many hcs or dcs that are holding the Texans to a 6 point second half with cam lewis, damar Hamlin, and first start Cole bishop on the field.  Missing collins they still had diggs/dell/woods which should’ve given us massive problems on paper 

so my fear is the ‘Jordan poyer in Miami after leaving Buffalo’ effect is going to happen to a lot of these defensive players the second you fire mcd then you’ve got an offensive coach in here that improves the offense at a massive expense to the defense and the team gets even worse.   It’s just such a huge risk when you’ve been right there against the chiefs in the playoffs where one lucky break for either team wins the game. If we start getting rocked like the cincy game in the playoffs a year or two in a row then yea definitely pull the trigger..  or if you’ve got a coach lined up that you absolutely love (do we trust pegula on something like this) it makes some sense also 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

He could be struggling with turf toe, which is terrible for WRs. 

also, are we sure he’s even good??? He isn’t a natural wr and was a gadget guy in college. He averages 35.7 ypc receiving for his career so it’s not like he’s been exactly lighting it up. I think this is what is happening to Mahomes. We think that because our qb is so good, they can elevate anyone. So we settle for these journeymen types and then halfway through the season, we realize they are very mid. I think Samuel is better than that but I personally would have rather drafted another receiver than pay a guy averages 600/ ypy $8 million. 

that said, they should try to use him more out of the backfield and more designed runs from the slot, 

8 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Brady took a decent wideout, linked him up with one of the best QBs in the NFL, and transformed him into a nonentity.

That takes some kind of skill.  

I don’t think it’s that simple. Brady was also the OC that Samuel had his best season of his career with Teddy Bridgewater.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Unless he's got an injury that's not on the weekly injury report or just suddenly turned to dust over the offseason, the only reasonable conclusion is that Joe Brady has been criminally misusing/underusing him.

I'd say Skantling & Johnson too !! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

This is what I was expecting to see. Samuel is not being used properly. We cannot waste players like this!

Very similar to Shakir in how you deploy him. When he’s on the field I guess it makes a little more sense to be invisible. Was surprised he wasn’t used how they do him seeing as he was out. 

2 hours ago, MJS said:

You have to put this one on Brady. With Shakir out, he should have been the one to be able to step up and get targets. But they seem to only want to use him as a gadget guy occasionally. Plus, he is supposed to be getting rushing touches. But they haven't been doing that with him either.

Butbutbut....wildcat....

He was really strong in camp and in sync with Josh. I think @Kirby Jackson made some good points about how he's being used and how the Bills are being defended earlier in this thread, and those tactics need to be adjusted to... I also 100% think the turf toe is still bothering him. He's not old enough to just drop off the map like that yet.

38 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:
1 hour ago, MPL said:

It might be important to remember that Diggs was still on the roster when Samuel was signed. I don't think they were planning on trading Diggs when they signed Samuel. And then, they had to trade Diggs, or at least felt like they had to. And now Samuel isn't being setup for success at all because, ya know, it's a WR room full of slot guys. 

They had a whole spring and summer to adjust how they wanted to use CS1. 

Oh, for sure. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to absolve anyone here. The whole situation is a failure. 

Also, I don't think Curtis Samuel has done enough to warrant a cool nickname like CS1. 

29 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He could be struggling with turf toe, which is terrible for WRs. 

also, are we sure he’s even good??? He isn’t a natural wr and was a gadget guy in college. He averages 35.7 ypc receiving for his career so it’s not like he’s been exactly lighting it up. I think this is what is happening to Mahomes. We think that because our qb is so good, they can elevate anyone. So we settle for these journeymen types and then halfway through the season, we realize they are very mid. I think Samuel is better than that but I personally would have rather drafted another receiver than pay a guy averages 600/ ypy $8 million. 

that said, they should try to use him more out of the backfield and more designed runs from the slot, 

I don’t think it’s that simple. Brady was also the OC that Samuel had his best season of his career with Teddy Bridgewater.  

35.7 yards per catch would be the definition of lighting it up. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

He was really strong in camp and in sync with Josh. I think @Kirby Jackson made some good points about how he's being used and how the Bills are being defended earlier in this thread, and those tactics need to be adjusted to... I also 100% think the turf toe is still bothering him. He's not old enough to just drop off the map like that yet.

You got all the bases covered…

- Ineffective because of usage ✔️

- Ineffective because of how he is defended ✔️

- Ineffective because of injury ✔️

😂