Curtis Samuel -- wtf???

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's a good point Biscuit but...

*  Josh has been less productive (ypg) this season than he was under Daboll or Dorsey.  

*  Josh just recorded the worst completion percentage for a game of his career.  

*  Kincaid and especially Knox are both unproductive this year.

*  Samuel's production should have gone up with a better QB.  Instead it's gone done.

*  Mack Hollins averaged 41 ypg in his one previous season as a starter.  This year he's averaging 11.  

What's the common denominator in these sad production stories? Joe Brady.  

Everybody Eats = Nobody Eats

As I mentioned earlier, that wasn’t just the worst completion percentage of Josh’s career…..it was the worst by ANY professional quarterback in the last THREE DECADES! Let that sink in for a minute. And it was inside with no rain, snow or wind. Unbelievable! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

As I mentioned earlier, that wasn’t just the worst completion percentage of Josh’s career…..it was the worst by ANY professional quarterback in the last THREE DECADES! Let that sink in for a minute. And it was inside with no rain, snow or wind. Unbelievable! 

Think the pressure of showcasing he does not in fact “need Diggs” in that revenge game was looming large in his head. Might be that way for some of the play calls too. 

He was erratic, anxious and forceful with his play. Even the rushes he’d normally be easily executing on broken plays were missing. 

Almost zero composure. 

Whilst Josh doesn’t need Diggs or any receiver of top talent, a WR needs a QB more than the other, they certainly help and make the game much easier. Hopefully there’s some acquisition or insane emergence/turnaround from one of these guys on the roster. The latter I’m not holding my breath for. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Judging from his performance in 2022 and 2023, Curtis Samuel is not a bad player at all and is indeed a moderately productive one if used properly. 

In this system, though, it feels like most throws to Curtis Samuel are behind the LOS and they seem to end up with him tackled around or slightly behind the LOS. It's baffling. He has long been a fairly productive player, with 171 touches (126 catches for 10 ypr; 45 runs for 5.1 ypc) and 10 TDs in the 25 games he played for Washington in the previous two years. That's basically 7 touches for 60 yards and .4 TDs per game, and with garbage QBs throwing to him. He had a 69 percent catch rate too. For the Bills, he has 12 touches on 16 targets/carries for freaking 54 yards over five games and hasn't sniffed the EZ. He is averaging 3.4 yards per play he's involved in, and he's a WIDE RECEIVER. That shouldn't happen; it's terrible. He's not a true difference maker, but he's certainly not this bad.  

At this point, I have to think he's simply being misused.

I hate to say this, but I see McDermott all over this "new" offense. Why is it so conservative? What would Andy Reid be doing with this quarterback? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Sojourner said:

So we won’t see any real return on MVS, Hollins or Samuel until next year?

Woo Hoo!

Then that’s gonna be especially tough to get good return because Samuel is the only one of the three under contract for 2025. 

Problem is defensive coordinators have no respect for our outside receivers so they are clogging the middle of the field. We either need  to beat single coverage on the outside to make them pay, or Brady needs superior scheming and player execution to beat disadvantageous numbers in the short game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Andy1 said:

Problem is defensive coordinators have no respect for our outside receivers so they are clogging the middle of the field. We either need  to beat single coverage on the outside to make them pay, or Brady needs superior scheming and player execution to beat disadvantageous numbers in the short game. 

And they don't have to play back because they don't fear the long pass play because that bizarrely is Allen's weakness.  And as soon as bills stopped utilizing Allen as a runner teams minimized spying Allen which made things even more worse.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Brady has failed miserably in incorporating Knox, Samuel , MVS, and Davis into the offense. If it doesn’t improve, we’re doomed because Coleman, Hollins, and Shakir aren’t vertical threats for the most part. Shakir is terrific in the slot and a clutch 3rd down converter but Josh is forced into vulnerable exposure trying to bide time until these other guys get open and it’s not working. 

• Agree 4

On 10/7/2024 at 10:18 AM, streetkings01 said:

Reminds me Hines and Harty….team has no idea how to use Swiss Army knife type players! Brady should watch the old tapes when Daboll was here, the way he used McKenzie should be the same we use Samuel.

Harty?  He’s not exactly setting the world on fire in Baltimore either 

On 10/7/2024 at 5:27 PM, Pete said:

Have we ran a successful WR screen once in the past 5 years?  It seems to get stuffed for a 2 yard loss every time.  Yet we call it again, and again 

"They'll never expect it!!!"

meanwhile opposing D are pinning their ears back and bringing 11 to the line

18 hours ago, Andy1 said:

Or go to 12 personnel set and throw outs and flats to our highly paid, highly picked tight end tandem.   You can beat cover 1 closed middle without your wideouts having to win outside of the seam.    The issue is two fold.  Brady doesn't scheme it up well and Josh often times refuses to throw to the 1st open player he sees.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Samuel is really here for the WR screen game.  Brady tried that a lot last year with Diggs and Davis. Samuel should excel at it, but the timing has been off. Josh double clutched on multiple attempts last game b/c of upfield pressure. 

But otherwise, Samuel is not a very good route runner. He doesn't have a feel for underneath zones like a good slot guy.  He runs and then turns around, doesn't move with the QB and the gaps in the zones.

I agree though that with his speed, they should be able to find more creative ways to get him in space downfield, in addition to the screen game.  

The timing is all off with him and Josh and Brady

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

Brady has failed miserably in incorporating Knox, Samuel , MVS, and Davis into the offense. If it doesn’t improve, we’re doomed because Coleman, Hollins, and Shakir aren’t vertical threats for the most part. Shakir is terrific in the slot and a clutch 3rd down converter but Josh is forced into vulnerable exposure trying to bide time until these other guys get open and it’s not working. 

If those receivers are open and the ball is delivered to a poor spot or to someone else is that on the OC?  MVS has been open deep but Josh over threw him a few times. Samuel has been open short but ball goes elsewhere. Knox has been blocking a bunch because teams are blitzing the hell outta Josh.  People put too much blame on the OC and ignore the person who has the final say in delivering the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, harmonkillebrew said:

Samuel is really here for the WR screen game.  Brady tried that a lot last year with Diggs and Davis. Samuel should excel at it, but the timing has been off. Josh double clutched on multiple attempts last game b/c of upfield pressure. 

But otherwise, Samuel is not a very good route runner. He doesn't have a feel for underneath zones like a good slot guy.  He runs and then turns around, doesn't move with the QB and the gaps in the zones.

I agree though that with his speed, they should be able to find more creative ways to get him in space downfield, in addition to the screen game.  

The timing is all off with him and Josh and Brady

I doubt the Bills are paying $8M for a guy to work on the screen game.  Samuel is a bonafide downfield threat...The Bills have not been able to leverage him yet.

On 10/7/2024 at 5:33 PM, SoCal Deek said:

Very discouraging.  Part Josh. Part Brady.  Part BB(for the wr talent or lack thereof). 

Edited by LabattBlue

On 10/7/2024 at 2:41 PM, hondo in seattle said:

It's a good point Biscuit but...

*  Josh has been less productive (ypg) this season than he was under Daboll or Dorsey.  

*  Josh just recorded the worst completion percentage for a game of his career.  

*  Kincaid and especially Knox are both unproductive this year.

*  Samuel's production should have gone up with a better QB.  Instead it's gone done.

*  Mack Hollins averaged 41 ypg in his one previous season as a starter.  This year he's averaging 11.  

What's the common denominator in these sad production stories? Joe Brady.  

Everybody Eats = Nobody Eats

I’m not sure it’s that simple.  No one was criticizing Brady during the first three weeks of the season.  Allen played a really bad football game which again I do think is entirely on Brady.  

Of course, I do feel he’s part of the blame the last two weeks.  After falling behind, I think Brady tried to throw his way back into games, when he maybe should have ran the ball a little more.   I also believe he’s very limited with the receiving group he has when Shakir is off the field.  

The plan going forward has to be to find a way to get targets to Kincaid, because outside of Shakir he won’t get much from this poor WR group.