The Hollins deep ball miss

Roundybout

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

i’m confused. Before you said that Alan threw it to the wrong spot. Now you’re saying that why would I expect Allen to admit that you threw the right spot?

Nico ran the right route. Thus the ball was on target. I don’t think Hollins ran to the right spot.

I was responding to your comment on if Brady or Allen said it.  You're not going to get an answer from them on that.

What honestly makes you think Mack ran the wrong route and Allen threw it exactly where it was supposed to be?

The pass caused Mack to drift a little.  It should have been caught but when someone is that wide open, it needs to be hit in stride for an easy TD.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I was responding to your comment on if Brady or Allen said it.  You're not going to get an answer from them on that.

What honestly makes you think Mack ran the wrong route and Allen threw it exactly where it was supposed to be?

The pass caused Mack to drift a little.  It should have been caught but when someone is that wide open, it needs to be hit in stride for an easy TD.

Because it was thrown away (outside) from where the safety was when Allen started his wind up (which is different from where the safety is when the ball arrives).

Also, Allen doesn’t typically miss laterally on long throws. He just typically throws them too short or too long.

QB’s throw well before the receiver is actually open. Thats why being in position is so important. Passers throw to a spot where you’re supposed to be. This isn’t backyard football, throwing when you see your uncle open to the spot he is at the moment.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/7/2024 at 10:01 AM, MJS said:

Allen has to hit him in stride there. You see other QBs make that throw without forcing their receiver to make a huge adjustment. This is something that Allen needs to improve on. I can't really remember the last time Allen has actually completed a throw like that.

Look at how stroud hit Collins on the deep ball…made it look easy….hit him in stride…Allen rarely makes an accurate deep ball throw 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Burrow throws deep balls very well. And for that matter throws every ball very well. It’s always catchable and on target. With fine point accuracy. 

allen never been that. Nor been that consistent. Think about it. Be honest. How many times has diggs or John brown or sanders had to adjust big time / come back and catch a super underthrown or off target 20+ throw. It’s a lot. 

5 minutes ago, balln said:

Burrow throws deep balls very well. And for that matter throws every ball very well. It’s always catchable and on target. With fine point accuracy. 

allen never been that. Nor been that consistent. Think about it. Be honest. How many times has diggs or John brown or sanders had to adjust big time / come back and catch a super underthrown or off target 20+ throw. It’s a lot. 

This I can agree with.  Its the only consistent “flaw” he has.  He is great everywhere else.  

• Agree 1

They mentioned yesterday on WGR that Allen was 7th in the league in "catchable deep passes" but 31st in completion percentage with throws past 20 yards this year. 

That kind of advanced stat unequivocally points to what most of us already know: The receivers,  particularly the outside guys, are not up to snuff.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

They mentioned yesterday on WGR that Allen was 7th in the league in "catchable deep passes" but 31st in completion percentage with throws past 20 yards this year. 

That kind of advanced stat unequivocally points to what most of us already know: The receivers,  particularly the outside guys, are not up to snuff.  

i dunno man, maybe he should be top 3 so that we can sign street free agents and put all our first 4 round picks into DL!

lol, allen does make mistakes on deep throws but we notice it because he makes so few on other throws, but the above is crazy.  just not a lot of talent at wr.

allen's main issue to me is his pre snap reads and that he errs on the side of holding it a bit long to go for the bigger play.  he solved at least the latter somewhat in the first three games and it was glorious.  let's hope he does that vs the jets.

Hollins was open by five yards and looking for the ball to come over his left inside shoulder as normal.  The QB is supposed to loft the ball to his inside so he can track the ball without turning his back.  To insist he meant to throw the ball to the sideline to require an over the shoulder adjustment and catch is nonsense.  Simply an overthrow to the wrong shoulder by Josh. It happens.

22 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not if Coleman is the first read like it should have been with Hollins running a clear out, which based on how Hollins ran the play and how Brady talked about the play, it seems pretty obvious Hollins was running a clear out and wasn’t supposed to get the target.  

So the ball to Coleman should be leaving Allen’s hands the moment Coleman starts to comeback, if he does Coleman has the ball caught before the defender gets to Coleman and he has a shot at making him miss or breaking the tackle as he was alone to make the play on Coleman as Hollins cleared the others out.  

Brady said in his interview, “Allen thought he saw something with Hollins”.  And if you listen to Brady’s interview in full it was pretty clear Hollins was not where anyone expected the ball to go.   Easy did his best not to throw Allen under the bus, but it was pretty clear IMHO that Allen was the one who chose to take a shot instead of what everyone else was expecting.  And I’m sure it’s why McD was livid on the sideline.  

that's a very astute observation.

marino had his latest podcast -- he speculated that allen might have decided to push for more vertical stuff on the final game losing drive on O.  he pointed out mcd mouthing that we just need a first down on the sideline as well.  in pressure/panic situations josh seems to have solved his sugar high stuff for the most part, but it does seem like he has a tendency to hold longer and hope for something to open up too much.  if say 5 of his 21 incompletes were thrown to a shorter easier route it likely gets us the w, most critically on the last drive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, colin said:

i dunno man, maybe he should be top 3 so that we can sign street free agents and put all our first 4 round picks into DL!

lol, allen does make mistakes on deep throws but we notice it because he makes so few on other throws, but the above is crazy.  just not a lot of talent at wr.

allen's main issue to me is his pre snap reads and that he errs on the side of holding it a bit long to go for the bigger play.  he solved at least the latter somewhat in the first three games and it was glorious.  let's hope he does that vs the jets.

Yeah, I think those a valid criticisms, but some of it I'm chalking up to a lack in trust on what he's got out there and then the pass catchers just not executing.  

If things aren't cruising along, Allen pushes it,  often times to the Bills' detriment. I think it's understandable, and it's not new, so it's on the coaches to mitigate that tendency. Daboll was great at this, Dorsey and Brady seemingly not so much. 

McDermott just seems like an absent father at this point when it comes to the offense, just not involved. 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, freeagentqb said:

Hollins was open by five yards and looking for the ball to come over his left inside shoulder as normal.  The QB is supposed to loft the ball to his inside so he can track the ball without turning his back.  To insist he meant to throw the ball to the sideline to require an over the shoulder adjustment and catch is nonsense.  Simply an overthrow to the wrong shoulder by Josh. It happens.

Many here don’t understand the basics of this connection and why asking Hollins to play towards the sideline doesn’t fit the route he was running nor the shoulder he was looking over. And they still won’t comprehend it after reading it for the 100th time. It will always be “Mack Hollins fault” because he’s a replacement level receiver.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 90sBills said:

Chris Simms has a really good breakdown of Allen’s game against Houston, including this throw to Hollins, on his podcast today. It’s an interesting analysis for those interested. 

Simms Podcast

Bills chatter starts at the 29:30 mark. 

EDIT: also, it’s interesting how differently those watching tape see things. I just opened Cover 1’s explanation of why the Bills offense is struggling and one of the plays highlighted was the same one Simms spoke about. Erik from Cover 1 claimed a Texans LB shut down a big gainer to Cook, while Simms said that’s exactly where Allen should’ve went with the ball. Having just seen the play again I agree 100% with Simms, the pass was there. Would Cook have caught it? I don’t know, but he dusted that LB. It was certainly a potentially better pass than the attempt Allen had on that play when he rolled right and launched it to a better covered receiver. 

**Also, also, about the much debated pass [spoiler alert] Simms said it should’ve been thrown inside and that Allen rushed the throw.

Edited by Brand J
  • Like (+1) 2