The Hollins deep ball miss

Roundybout

Josh Allen is like a pitcher with a 120mph fastball but no other pitch. if his fastball isn’t working then he gets shelled; if it’s on, no one can hit it. If he learned to throw a change up, he’d be even better. 

For as great as he’s been, he’s left at least 50 touchdowns on the field in his career because he has zero ability to put some touch on the ball. He has to learn to throw it high. just loft it to the pylon josh. 

• Like (+1) 1

This has always been Josh Allen's weakness..he missed diggs deep wide open numerous times last season..outside of I guess 2020? I dont have the actual data just from memory he has overthrown numerous deep would be touchdowns.

Oddly enough he throws them pretty accurately in the playoffs when there is more pressure..like the clutch bomb to davis vs chiefs..and the perfect pass to diggs he dropped last year...

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, zow2 said:

Yeah i sometimes criticize Josh on the deep throws (like the one to Kincaid) because he throws a flat rope, not much trajectory instead of putting air under it.  This throw to Hollins, to me, was spot on.  This was all about Mack not tracking it like a good WR would. That affected his speed and caused it to be a low% just off the fingertips. 

Hollins looked like me playing outfield in softball.

• Haha (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Everyone also complaining Allen had to throw this deep shot to Hollins on the final inept drive that cost us the game.  Well this stupid pass was 100% all Allen too.  One Hollins isn’t open, two it’s 2nd and ten and we need yards and to stay in bounds and he has both Kincaid and Coleman for a guaranteed 5+ yards.  This would have gave us 3rd and short at worst and made Texans use a timeout.  Not only would this be easier to convert, we wouldn’t have to drop back into our own end zone risking a game ending safety to try and convert it.  And if we don’t convert, we aren’t punting as jammed up in our end zone and can pin them back further.  And it’s possible they could have made a guy miss or broke a tackle to just outright get the first.  

To throw this pass to Hollins is absolutely stupid.  I love Allen, but geezus this was a catastrophic mistake and honestly substantially lowered our chances to win this game by keeping us in such a dangerous position and backed up on 3rd down.  

I dont think he really has Coleman. I initially thought so too with a cut off camera.  He looks like he about to be lined up and blasted at point of catch though. It does not take a DB long to get there and he only couple yards away.  Kincaid for sure though. The pass should have went there. Dunno why it didn't.

Edited by Scott7975

i saw a breakdown of the game.  in it they didn't really express who was wrong on that pass (just said it was off, which is clearly the bottom line), but they played it start to finish and in slow mo like 10 times.

the more i see it, the more i think the ball was supposed to go where allen put it, outside.  there was a lot of space toward the sideline, and i don't know if it was cover 1 or 2 to start, but the safety was inside.  he wasn't close, but an inside throw might hang and give the safety a shot, the outside throw gave no one but hollins a shot.  hollins also didn't drift inside at all, making me think even he knew it was supposed to go outside.

he pulled up too much and didn't have his hands right (they were too extended in front of him before he spotted the ball) so he was off balance and lost control forward as his hands touched the ball.  no one was near him and he got his hands on the ball, and it was not an over throw IMO because it wasn't flying past him as he slowed a bit.  now that've seen it way more than i'd like to, he totally shoulda come down with the ball, and if he doesn't have clumsy giraffe legs he woulda walked for a TD.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Allen had a really bad game.  The Diggs stuff might’ve been just too much for him mentally last week.  We move on.

Problem is, he's in a 2 game slump and the "get right" game needs to be in Primetime at NY.  The Jets DB's were very sticky last week vs Minnesota and made Darnold look weak.  

20 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Was it a slightly off direction pass?...Absolutely. Would a better wr have still caught that?...Yes.  This team right now has a serious wr crisis.  Shakir is our best wr albeit probably not a #1 and he's out. Samuel and MVS are getting paid to not produce.  Coleman has no speed and will be a nice jump ball/back shoulder guy, but nothing more. That leaves opposing defenses to just bracket Kincaid. Thanks McB for not trading up a little for Thomas.  Your inability to give Josh weapons is becoming comical.

Yeah but the trade up would have cost us Cole Bishop

JK who cares would have done that 100 times out of 100, thought they'd be chomping at the bit to trade up when he was falling. Figured they'd use at least the Diggs 2nd rounder chip to make a move for a big time speed threat but 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, colin said:

i saw a breakdown of the game.  in it they didn't really express who was wrong on that pass (just said it was off, which is clearly the bottom line), but they played it start to finish and in slow mo like 10 times.

the more i see it, the more i think the ball was supposed to go where allen put it, outside.  there was a lot of space toward the sideline, and i don't know if it was cover 1 or 2 to start, but the safety was inside.  he wasn't close, but an inside throw might hang and give the safety a shot, the outside throw gave no one but hollins a shot.  hollins also didn't drift inside at all, making me think even he knew it was supposed to go outside.

he pulled up too much and didn't have his hands right (they were too extended in front of him before he spotted the ball) so he was off balance and lost control forward as his hands touched the ball.  no one was near him and he got his hands on the ball, and it was not an over throw IMO because it wasn't flying past him as he slowed a bit.  now that've seen it way more than i'd like to, he totally shoulda come down with the ball, and if he doesn't have clumsy giraffe legs he woulda walked for a TD.

Last night on the play where Mahomes threw the deep ball and the refs flagged PI on the Saints DB the pass was aimed over the WR's right shoulder to the outside. It was a similar placement as the one Allen threw with the exception that the Saints DB was closer to the WR.

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I dont think he really has Coleman. I initially thought so too with a cut off camera.  He looks like he about to be lined up and blasted at point of catch though. It does not take a DB long to get there and he only couple yards away.  Kincaid for sure though. The pass should have went there. Dunno why it didn't.

Not if Coleman is the first read like it should have been with Hollins running a clear out, which based on how Hollins ran the play and how Brady talked about the play, it seems pretty obvious Hollins was running a clear out and wasn’t supposed to get the target.  

So the ball to Coleman should be leaving Allen’s hands the moment Coleman starts to comeback, if he does Coleman has the ball caught before the defender gets to Coleman and he has a shot at making him miss or breaking the tackle as he was alone to make the play on Coleman as Hollins cleared the others out.  

Brady said in his interview, “Allen thought he saw something with Hollins”.  And if you listen to Brady’s interview in full it was pretty clear Hollins was not where anyone expected the ball to go.   Easy did his best not to throw Allen under the bus, but it was pretty clear IMHO that Allen was the one who chose to take a shot instead of what everyone else was expecting.  And I’m sure it’s why McD was livid on the sideline.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, colin said:

Allen probably throws that ball as Hollins makes that inside step move to freeze the safety.  In making that move, Hollins has to push off that left foot to get by the safety and that shifts his body momentum on a slight slant to the sideline and that's why Allen put the ball over the outside shoulder.  If Allen had another second to see Hollins holding a straight vertical line then I think he puts the throw to the inside.  But he didn't.

I'm no football expert, only played TE in high school and when I made a move like that it was always outside shoulder ball because the momentum shift made it easier and it's fractions of a second getting around the guy and looking for the ball so you can't be sure if the safety could make a play on an underthrown ball to the inside.  Outside shoulder was your cleanest and most convenient window in that moment.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

There are human beings on this forum blaming the QB for this not being complete.

Mind boggling.

IMG-3903.jpg

It wasn't thrown to the right spot but yes, Mack should have caught it for at least a 40 yard gain. 

Mack was 10 yards open, it should have been an easy walk in TD.

• Like (+1) 1

Mack Hollins is not a good football player. That's why he's on his what? 6th team? They can cut him tomorrow and it would have zero impact. But he blocks well. How's the running game going? Well? 

I'm shocked that he doesn't track the ball well. He didn't track the ball well on the ball thrown to him in the last possession either.

He doesn't wear shoes or eat soup though, so he's got that going for him.

Savage.

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

According to whom? Did Brady or Allen say this?

You honestly expect Allen to say he threw it to the right spot and Mack just missed it?

I'm not saying it was a terrible throw and Mack should have caught it.  Mack had to adjust to it a little bit of a back shoulder but he's not good at tracking it.

The best outcome would have been hitting him in stride like Stroud hit Nico.  

27 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You honestly expect Allen to say he threw it to the right spot and Mack just missed it?

i’m confused. Before you said that Alan threw it to the wrong spot. Now you’re saying that why would I expect Allen to admit that you threw the right spot?

27 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm not saying it was a terrible throw and Mack should have caught it.  Mack had to adjust to it a little bit of a back shoulder but he's not good at tracking it.

The best outcome would have been hitting him in stride like Stroud hit Nico.  

Nico ran the right route. Thus the ball was on target. I don’t think Hollins ran to the right spot.