The Hollins deep ball miss

Roundybout

When I saw this live, I blamed Hollins for not tracking and adjusting to the ball well.

But when I watch the replay, I see he's sprinting as fast as he can to the very end to get under the ball.  He did curve quite a bit toward the end to adjust to the "wrong" shoulder.  He should have changed direction earlier and taken a straighter line to the point where the ball was going.  But the fault isn't egregious.  

On the whole, I'd say this is 90% on Josh and 10% on Mack.  A faster receiver could have gotten under the ball, but Josh was throwing to Mack and should have put it in a more catchable spot.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Oddly Allen tends to complete the deep throws he makes while running for his life.  Probably because he doesn’t overthink it but also because there’s likely more air under the balls.  

for the record, it was a bad throw.  Allen’s best deep throw I can remember? The one Diggs dropped last postseason 

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Mack Hollins is bad , real bad. He shouldn’t be on the 53 man roster. One of the worst WRs of seen in a long time.

Oh come on! He’s better than Gabe Davis!

• Haha (+1) 1

Ah the vultures are out QBs miss throws all the time Josh threw one way Hollins went the other. 
The receiving corps checked in with 10 drops in the game. All of course on Josh. 

Despite the fact there is not a a team in football who would consider Mac Hollins a number 1 receiver except the Bills. 

51 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Ah the vultures are out QBs miss throws all the time Josh threw one way Hollins went the other. 
The receiving corps checked in with 10 drops in the game. All of course on Josh. 

Despite the fact there is not a a team in football who would consider Mac Hollins a number 1 receiver except the Bills. 

Really 10 drops?  It seemed to me like there were a lot of contested balls that were difficult receptions.

Contested balls can be the result of:

• Bad throws
  • Receivers not getting separation
  • The OC not scheming properly and/or calling plays that gain separation
  • Poor QB vision and decision making - not throwing to the open guy

In any case, the passing offense was dysfunctional and for that I mostly blame Beane for not getting us better players and Brady for not getting the guys we do have to execute better.  

10 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Worth its own discussion since that could have changed the game.

It’s arguable this wasn’t the best throw in the world, but it’s 100% catchable. To me, there’s plenty of arc and time for Hollins to adjust under it, and instead he makes this bizarre stop and start that loses him ground. 

In my house, we’ve come up with a new term / expression.

“ a Hollins “, or conjugated any which way.

it applies to just about any situation:

he “Hollinsed” his pants.

he “Hollinsed”that pass.

I “ Hollinsed” prematurely

etc….

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Really 10 drops?  It seemed to me like there were a lot of contested balls that were difficult receptions.

Contested balls can be the result of:

• Bad throws
  • Receivers not getting separation
  • The OC not scheming properly and/or calling plays that gain separation
  • Poor QB vision and decision making - not throwing to the open guy

In any case, the passing offense was dysfunctional and for that I mostly blame Beane for not getting us better players and Brady for not getting the guys we do have to execute better.  

theyre made more difficult by the lack of talent

the third down ball to MVS for example- first off he runs his route short of the sticks, then doesn't come back to the ball which hits him in both hands...allowing stingley to easily swat it out for an inc

i call that a drop even tho it looked like a 'contested catch'

10 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Worth its own discussion since that could have changed the game.

It’s arguable this wasn’t the best throw in the world, but it’s 100% catchable. To me, there’s plenty of arc and time for Hollins to adjust under it, and instead he makes this bizarre stop and start that loses him ground. 

One could argue that Josh should have understood that he was throwing to a practice squad receiver and should have just made it easy to catch , even if he might be tackled before reaching the end zone. Honestly though, Josh has never been the best deep ball passer. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

LOL  That throw was a duck. Pure garbage throw! 2 feet to the opposite/wrong shoulder. Josh has no deep ball finesse or accuracy. he never has. Just another plain example. Hollins beat his man clean! was wide open. Hit him in stride for the big gainer or TD! 

If you pause it josh releases it just as safety is on his hip.  Safety had inside leverage throwing to the outside is correct play.  Josh had some crap throws but this is on hollins

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, peterpan said:

for the record, it was a bad throw.  Allen’s best deep throw I can remember? The one Diggs dropped last postseason 

I’ve got two favorite deep ones: the ball to Robert Foster against the Jags and the ball to Gabe Davis against KC in the playoffs. Both were thrown with such touch and accuracy that the receiver couldn’t help but catch it. It’s in Allen to complete these passes more often than not. He needs to figure out why he struggles mightily with them. 

10 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Trade Josh now, trade Josh  now....:w00t:

There should be a timeline on the Allen-McDermott marriage. No super bowl this year or next year should result in divorce.  I would like to keep Allen, but if the team is wants McDermott, they should give Allen a chance to pursue a championship elswhere. 

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

There should be a timeline on the Allen-McDermott marriage. No super bowl this year or next year should result in divorce.  I would like to keep Allen, but if the team is wants McDermott, they should give Allen a chance to pursue a championship elswhere. 

we could get a ton of picks for Allen

• Vomit 1

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

give Allen a chance to pursue a championship elswhere. 

Posting this should be a bannable offense. 

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

And this should be a criminal charges pending offense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Allen is my all time favorite player.  McDermott does  not seem to know how to use his talents. Does not seem to be a good match.   I think McDermott would be happier with a Purdy plus weapons or Darnold plus weapons.  As people love to point out he was just about as successful with Tyrod Taylor.  

Edited by Chaos

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Allen is my all time favorite player.  McDermott does  not seem how to use his talents. Does not seem to be a good match.   I think McDermott would be happier with a Purdy plus weapons or Darnold plus weapons.  As people love to point out he was just about as successful with Tyrod Taylor.  

i hear you

ive been saying allen is the best qb in the league since 2020 lol

but ive also been saying we've hit our ceiling and tbh we can find any random qb to run this offense so if they're intent on keeping the staff and FO why not get 3 first round picks for him

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Allen makes the read and gears up to throw the ball before the safety is dusted. That is why binary leverage reads are built into the play, the goal is to make it as easy as possible for the QB and WR to be on the same page.

But it really shouldn't even matter. A competent WR easily tracks the ball and comes down with the catch. There's really no excuse for Hollins not to come down with the ball.

Bingo.

This is one of those IQ test threads…

Its telling.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

i hear you

ive been saying allen is the best qb in the league since 2020 lol

but ive also been saying we've hit our ceiling and tbh we can find any random qb to run this offense so if they're intent on keeping the staff and FO why not get 3 first round picks for him

My impression from McDermott's comments is that he sees the coaches role as "reigning in Allen" to run the brilliant conservative offenses.  I think other coaches might actually look to try to amplify Allen's talents with a much higher risk, reward approach.  Could be wrong, but that is my impression.