The Hollins deep ball miss

Roundybout

3 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Worth its own discussion since that could have changed the game.

It’s arguable this wasn’t the best throw in the world, but it’s 100% catchable. To me, there’s plenty of arc and time for Hollins to adjust under it, and instead he makes this bizarre stop and start that loses him ground. 

Sheesh o hate seeing these sometimes but we had our chances - again

2 hours ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

I've seen Jefferson, Chase, Higgins, Hill, Mike Evans, etc routinely catch those and I've seen Harrison Jr and Nabers step up as rookies and make plays like that. That no catch was on Hollins. Ball was catchable. His bum ass just couldn't make a play. 

Beane has failed to give Allen a true number one this year and this happened. 

Was it a slightly off direction pass?...Absolutely. Would a better wr have still caught that?...Yes.  This team right now has a serious wr crisis.  Shakir is our best wr albeit probably not a #1 and he's out. Samuel and MVS are getting paid to not produce.  Coleman has no speed and will be a nice jump ball/back shoulder guy, but nothing more. That leaves opposing defenses to just bracket Kincaid. Thanks McB for not trading up a little for Thomas.  Your inability to give Josh weapons is becoming comical.

24 minutes ago, mbowman14 said:

On this throw, there is no Safety help to worry about because the Safety is 5 yards behind Hollins after his Dig fake.

Allen makes the read and gears up to throw the ball before the safety is dusted. That is why binary leverage reads are built into the play, the goal is to make it as easy as possible for the QB and WR to be on the same page.

But it really shouldn't even matter. A competent WR easily tracks the ball and comes down with the catch. There's really no excuse for Hollins not to come down with the ball.

• Agree 2

I also thought he had plenty of time to adjust to it. It seemed like the moment was just to big for him.

For a while I was buying into the "quietly got better" thing. But that clearly didn't happen. At least not yet. Still early in the season and maybe they will gel, and a few guys will step up, but so far the entire group, including tight ends are underperforming.

Brady is also not helping the situation, with many questionable calls. It boggles the mind how we are still so terrible at simple screen passes.

Edited by behind a post WMS69

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Ya, I'd sY 60% on Josh , 40% Hollins for not tracking better, that literally just swiped his finger tips, but an extra step/better recognition , that's easy 6..

Compare that to Stroud to Collins.. Right in his palms

There’s no excuse for not catching that ball…absolutely none.  Then we can nitpick on the ‘a better throw would’ve been a td’ if it wasnt and there being two sides of the argument make sense 

using the throw as an excuse for not catching that ball is absolutely absurd.  An average rec league flag football receiver makes that catch 🤣

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

3 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Worth its own discussion since that could have changed the game.

It’s arguable this wasn’t the best throw in the world, but it’s 100% catchable. To me, there’s plenty of arc and time for Hollins to adjust under it, and instead he makes this bizarre stop and start that loses him ground. 

Absolutely correct. Had he not broke stride the ball would probably have fallen right into his hands. 

25 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

It sends a message of Josh can do no wrong and nothing is ever on him, which just isn't accurate.

I'm not saying Josh can do no wrong. Unequivocally this was not a good game for him. He made several bad throws and bad decisions especially in the 1st half. The Hollins throw was not one of them. I'm not asking Hollins to make an exceptional play. I'm asking him to run his route normally, track the ball in the air while he is wide open, and make an easy catch. It honestly blows my mind that we are assigning any blame to Josh on this easy play that any competent WR makes. Josh does exactly what people want him to do on deep throws - he throws the ball at an arc so his WR can run under it and make the catch.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Allen makes the read and gears up to throw the ball before the safety is dusted. That is why binary leverage reads are built into the play, the goal is to make it as easy as possible for the QB and WR to be on the same page.

But it really shouldn't even matter. A competent WR easily tracks the ball and comes down with the catch. There's really no excuse for Hollins not to come down with the ball.

He is dusted though before Hollins runs by him...the Safety is sitting and starting to jump the dig while Hollins is in full sprint up-field.  If you are correct and the throw should go outside, then Hollins route really sucks because he stays on the numbers for the first 10-15 yards after his break up-field and only fades to the sideline very late in his route which makes it a much more difficult catch.  One thing everyone can agree on, Mack Hollins is not the answer for this type of target share.