The Hollins deep ball miss

Roundybout

Worth its own discussion since that could have changed the game.

It’s arguable this wasn’t the best throw in the world, but it’s 100% catchable. To me, there’s plenty of arc and time for Hollins to adjust under it, and instead he makes this bizarre stop and start that loses him ground. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Angry 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Roundybout said:

It’s arguable this wasn’t the best throw in the world, but it’s 100% catchable. To me, there’s plenty of arc and time for Hollins to adjust under it, and instead he makes this bizarre stop and start that loses him ground. 

It's the difference in a 40 and football speed.  He slows down trying to switch shoulders and loses track, he also looked way late after he beat the coverage.  The ball shouldn't already be in the air when you're trying to track it there.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

LOL  That throw was a duck. Pure garbage throw! 2 feet to the opposite/wrong shoulder. Josh has no deep ball finesse or accuracy. he never has. Just another plain example. Hollins beat his man clean! was wide open. Hit him in stride for the big gainer or TD! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 5
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

Ya, I'd sY 60% on Josh , 40% Hollins for not tracking better, that literally just swiped his finger tips, but an extra step/better recognition , that's easy 6..

Compare that to Stroud to Collins.. Right in his palms

• Agree 1

Yeah i sometimes criticize Josh on the deep throws (like the one to Kincaid) because he throws a flat rope, not much trajectory instead of putting air under it.  This throw to Hollins, to me, was spot on.  This was all about Mack not tracking it like a good WR would. That affected his speed and caused it to be a low% just off the fingertips. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dillenger4 said:

LOL  That throw was a duck. Pure garbage throw! 2 feet to the opposite/wrong shoulder. Josh has no deep ball finesse or accuracy. he never has. Just another plain example. Hollins beat his man clean! was wide open. Hit him in stride for the big gainer or TD! 

YPP said it’s the correct shoulder 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

There's like 50-75 WRs in the NFL who will make that catch.

Hollins is a WR by name only. He's basically a blocking TE. You might as well throw that to Lee Smith. 

The people blaming Allen for poor decision making are taking the humanity out of the game. Would you trust these guys to do anything right? I wouldn't, so it's understandable why he's holding the ball for that extra 2/10s of a second, and that's all you need in the NFL to screw up the rhythm of an offense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Bu "Bizarre stop and start" do you mean when he juked the defender out of his jockstrap? Otherwise, clean route. Did his job. Ball was overthrown to the opposite side. Nothing else to discuss.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Terrible throw and you can't convince me otherwise. Josh is a top 2 QB that legitimately may be bottom 2 at throwing the deep ball. 

Does anyone have a clip of the one to Kincaid? I haven't been able to find it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Properly to the outside shoulder?! 

There is no safety, he drops down.  Ref is only one in the middle of field.

Said it during game yesterday, that should've gone inside shoulder.  That's 80% on Josh, and Hollins doesn't have the talent to make up for it.

Josh also missed Kincaid on a seam route that would have gone for a TD, underthrew it.

Josh is struggling with deep ball accuracy, plain and simple.

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

YPP said it’s the correct shoulder 

YPP is wrong this time.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

That is 90% on Josh. An NFL QB should be able to hit that throw blind folded. Not sure what’s up w/ Allen’s deep ball, but he’s starting to show some rookie tendencies in his 7th year. 

And the media is starting to hone in. Josh is having issues boys. He panics. Always has. 

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

The people blaming Allen for poor decision making are taking the humanity out of the game. Would you trust these guys to do anything right? I wouldn't, so it's understandable why he's holding the ball for that extra 2/10s of a second, and that's all you need in the NFL to screw up the rhythm of an offense.

That’s my issue. These journeymen throughout their careers aren’t just going to turn it on now. 

People lynched a guy who produced very well in the regular season but disappeared in the playoffs. 

These guys aren’t going to flip their script when it’s win or go home. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Bu "Bizarre stop and start" do you mean when he juked the defender out of his jockstrap? Otherwise, clean route. Did his job. Ball was overthrown to the opposite side. Nothing else to discuss.

Look at the 19 second mark. Hollins tracks it horribly and slows down then panics and tries to speed up. It’s a fine deep ball. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

That is 90% on Josh. An NFL should be able to hit that throw blind folded. Not sure what’s up w/ Allen’s deep ball, but he’s starting to show some rookie tendencies in his 7th year. 

Agreed 100%. Even his rookie year he threw some absolutely perfect passes to Robert Foster.  That long ball touch is gone, I guess they coached it out of him in favor of throws behind the line of scrimmage that lose 2 yards.  I sure am glad they invested so heavily in Samuel

• Like (+1) 1

I wish there was a way to go back and look at every Allen attempt of 35 yards plus since he started his career because what I am about to say is just my perception.     Josh Allen has one of the worst deep balls in the league.  Does it look pretty when its in the air?  Yes.   Does it ever ever hit his wideout in stride to allow the wideout to run underneath of it and stroll into the endzone?  No.    

The play is on youtube if you want to watch it.   Despite what the tweet above says, the ball is thrown outside, and that's probably the real issue.   Instead of just throwing the ball into the path Hollins is running, he throws it slightly to the right of Hollins.   Maybe a better wideout makes a play on the ball, but lets be real an NFL QB should have dropped the ball right into Hollins' hands.   It was a bad throw. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

Look at the 19 second mark. Hollins tracks it horribly and slows down then panics and tries to speed up. It’s a fine deep ball. 

He slows down because he is running wide open with the entire middle of the field to work with and Josh throws it behind him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1