What's on your Mt. Rushmore of Halloween/Horror Movies?

BillsPride12

I like the old black-and-white movies where the horror is not gore, but more atmospheric. Examples:

Nosferatu (Germany 1922, silent)

Vampyr (Denmark/Germany/France 1932)

In color, but still very atmospheric:

Rosemary's Baby (US 1968)

Man versus nature, and very disturbing:

Long Weekend (Australia 1978)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, boater said:

Misery starring James Caan and Kathy Bates.

It was ice cold scary. It shows that scary can be done without special effects--just plain old acting.

You don't want to get hobbled.

Kathy+Bates+and+James+Caan+in+Misery+(1990).jpg

See now, I don't see Misery as a horror movie. It's more of a demented drama. Maximum Overdrive is sci-fi as a meteor causes machines to become aware. Christine is horror as the car has a mind of its own and it's not explained. "IT" is the definition of horror.

Misery isn't horror as much as Stephen King's Stand By Me and The Green Mile are horror. Or even The Shawshank Redemption.

Edited by loyal2dagame

Poltergeist - just horrifying for me as a kid in the 80s.  Really tense atmosphere and edgy effects for the time.  

Insidious - pretty much the perfect horror movie.  Tense throughout.  Lighting, sound, etc turn everything up to an 11 for the entire movie.

Terrifier - slasher flick, I'm usually not a fan of those... but terrifier perfected the genre.  Art the clown is scarier, more brutal, and more mysterious than Freddy, Jason, Michael, etc.  Low budget for the 1st one is a strength with edgier effects and cinematography.

House of 1000 Corpses - the best of the trapped in a house with a crazy sadistic family genre.  Rob Zombies best film, a tribute to the horror genre.  Takes a turn toward the supernatural in the last act.

Honorable mention: the day after, hereditary, grave encounters, get out, devils rejects, cabin in the woods, drag me to hell, saw, scream.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

60's

psycho

peeping tom

repulsion

night of the living dead

70's

texas chainsaw massacre

halloween

black christmas

phantasm

80's

possession

the beyond

monster squad

return of the living dead

90's

being john malkovich

in the mouth of madness

candyman

jacobs ladder

50 minutes ago, zevo said:

Event Horizon

never dying is the reason this and hellraiser scare the piss out of me

17 hours ago, Augie said:

Young Frankenstein. 

Horror really isn’t my thing. I remember my much older sister taking me to The Exorcist when it came out. Maybe that left a mark? The Omen kinda freaked me out too. 

EDIT: I would argue The Wizard of Oz is horror too. Those damn monkeys will keep a little kid awake at night! 😂 

When i was a kid, those monkeys used to scare the living daylights out of me.

Also, the movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang......when the guy would go out in the street and kidnap the kids in cages. Scared me to death every time as a kid and they could never get away with a movie premise like that anymore these days.

There was another movie, Return To OZ that came out (i think in the early 90's) and it sure wasn't a kids movie, that's for sure.

12 hours ago, loyal2dagame said:

See now, I don't see Misery as a horror movie. It's more of a demented drama. Maximum Overdrive is sci-fi as a meteor causes machines to become aware. Christine is horror as the car has a mind of its own and it's not explained. "IT" is the definition of horror.

Misery isn't horror as much as Stephen King's Stand By Me and The Green Mile are horror. Or even The Shawshank Redemption.

You got me on that one. Misery isn't the horror genre per se, but I still find it troubling to watch.

Christine is a great movie.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, XXXtraAnchovies said:

60's

psycho

peeping tom

repulsion

night of the living dead

70's

texas chainsaw massacre

halloween

black christmas

phantasm

80's

possession

the beyond

monster squad

return of the living dead

90's

being john malkovich

in the mouth of madness

candyman

jacobs ladder

never dying is the reason this and hellraiser scare the piss out of me

Being John Malkovich?

4 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Confession: I have never seen Christine or Carrie but they are both on the list to watch this year

What about Salem's Lot..any good?  That's another one I am going to try watch soon 

90% of Stephen King adaptations are trash and/or not true to the book(s).

Carrie the original is a 'classic', but the newer one in 2013 was more true to the book (with a few modern technological details).  The Shining deviates pretty far from the source material and misses several of the most-important themes.  Misery is decent, but leaves out some of the most gruesome details.  The Mist was great, but they inserted a shock-value end that overshadows the rest of the movie.  I had heard Stephen King does not approve of Christine (and he approves of ANYTHING that brings him more cash).  

The Under the Dome series was a pile of poop, as was the new The Stand series.  The Dark Tower was also some kind of alternate gobbledy *****.  

I havent seen the new Salem's Lot yet.  The book is great, and shouldn't be all that hard to follow.  Some of the images I have seen make it look like it may be a true adaptation.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Carrie the original is a 'classic', but the newer one in 2013 was more true to the book (with a few modern technological details).  The Shining deviates pretty far from the source material and misses several of the most-important themes.  Misery is decent, but leaves out some of the most gruesome details.  The Mist was great, but they inserted a shock-value end that overshadows the rest of the movie.  I had heard Stephen King does not approve of Christine (and he approves of ANYTHING that brings him more cash).  

The Under the Dome series was a pile of poop, as was the new The Stand series.  The Dark Tower was also some kind of alternate gobbledy *****.  

I havent seen the new Salem's Lot yet.  The book is great, and shouldn't be all that hard to follow.  Some of the images I have seen make it look like it may be a true adaptation.

I think The Shining is a bit overrated, really liked Misery but doesn't feel like a true horror movie to me either, A thriller sure.  

I would say generally speaking it really is hard to completely capture the feeling of a novel in a movie adaptation 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

This was a good film.  Well I'm biased in liking Christopher Walken.  Can't really comment on the book though 

• Like (+1) 2

The Exorcist - good vs. evil in its simplest form.  A demon, a priest, a bedroom, holy water and the soul of a young girl at stake. The rest of the back story is just fodder, except for the contrasting personalities of the priests.  The older priest who has fought the demon before vs. the young, medically educated priest experiencing a crisis of faith.  Best line of the movie: Karras- "I think it would be helpful to share some of the background of the case." Merrin- "Why?"

Carnival of Souls - An early 60's, low budget movie that has developed a cult following over the years.  Some of the acting and special effects are MST3k cringe worthy, but it does have a Sixth Sense twist decades before the Sixth Sense was made.  

The Shining- I loved the book, and Kubrick definitely strayed from the book, much to the ire of Stephen King.  But then, King tried his own version of it that was close to his novel, and it didn't quite do it.  Peeking in the background of this Mt. Rushmore is Rebecca Ferguson, who absolutely killed it as Rose the Hat in the sequel, Dr Sleep.   

Crossroads - Ha! I know, But it DOES have a Faustian Deal With the Devil as its central theme, so in a way it qualifies.  OK, I liked the music.

One horror movie I'd like to see, with a local flair for me. It is regards to a tiny rural cemetery near me.  

It is known as Stull.  It has plenty of elements of a good horror flick. And the story behind it kept getting bigger as the years went by.

-It is known as one of the Seven Gateways to Hell;

-Satan himself makes a physical appearance on Halloween and the first day of spring;

-He goes to visit the grave of his earthly wife, who was hanged as a witch in the 1800s;

-there is a grave in it, appropriately labelled as Wittch;

-they had a werewolf son, who is supposed to prowl along the woods near the graveyard;

-there are steps that descend to hell, which appear only on Halloween;

-going down the steps means that you won't come back;

-the old 19th century church (since torn down) was without a roof for decades.  Legend is that when it rained, rain wouldn't end up inside;

-forming two bottles in an inverted cross inside the church, and throwing them at a wall...the bottles would never break;

-in the 1990s, when the Pope was flying to Denver, he ordered his pilot to divert course around eastern Kansas as he wouldn't fly over unholy ground

-a small local population very suspicious of outsiders. (That is very true).  Anyone inside the cemetery after dark, is usually arrested within minutes of entering.  Anyone parked on the road after dark will find a patrol car pull up behind them within minutes. (of course the logical explanation is that the locals are tired of people going in and vandalizing, but then its a nice back story.)

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/experiences/kansas/ks-creepy-hell-stull

There are plenty more stories created over the years.  idk...I just think an inventive movie person could create a decent movie out of the stories.