What O adjustments can the Bills make short of a trade?

GASabresIUFan

Besides trading for Adams or Hopkins etc…., what adjustments can Brady to make the offense more affective until Shakir returns?

The obvious answer is Curtis Samuel needs to step up.   That said, the best depth we have is the RB room.  All 3 RBs can run and catch.  Maybe the solution starts there.  So what about more two back sets?  Put Davis/Johnson and Cook in the backfield and then split one out as a receiver.  UGA did this often with Cook.  

I’d even go big and utilize Gilliam as a fullback to add more power running behind Gilliam and Alec Anderson/Knox.  This also would force teams into single coverage and you might be able to hit some passes to Coleman and even MVS.  Sometimes old school works.  

Other ideas?

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm so over this 12 man personnel.   It always telegraphs run, but even when you run play action with it you have two slow ass targets out there being blanket covered by 4 defenders.

They need to add in more Daboll offense with 4 wideouts or at least spread Kincaid out from the line of scrimmage and dial up more quick hitters with the occasional double move deep ball or seam routes.  

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

Every now and then, they could throw a scree....ah, ***** it.

As long as it’s not going to Samuel, that’s fine. Every single one this season has been atrocious. 

They had one yesterday that had 3 blockers for 2 defenders and he was tackled for 0 gain. That makes no sense to me. 

There seems to be very little passes that are attacking different depths of the field that are forcing a defender to make a choice. 

As a former TE, levels concept was an absolute bread and butter play for our offense and our QB made 2 years of quality play on it. This offense? I see but there’s very little effect spacing. They always seem to be grouped a couple of yards away from one another when the routes are in effect. 

Seems when we use it there is very little spacing vertically or horizontally. Even more so when Shakir isn’t on the field. 

The key again, is spacing between the quarterbacks targets. hardly see it here. 

Theres very little manipulation of the defenders in our passing plays. Seems to be a case of hoping they win their designed route for an open pass. Which is fine but you need something else. That’s the mark of a great coach, you design a player/s to get open. 

• Like (+1) 3

More pass attempts on first down. 

Make 11 personnel our base offense with Shakir, Coleman and MVS as the main receivers with Samuel & Hollins as depth. 

If Samuel is hurt, make him inactive or put him on IR and call up Hamler. 

Let's just stop pretending we have a passing game and go all in on primitive run concepts. Student body right, student body left, student body middle, punt.  If McD is really serious about complimentary football he can punt on 3rd down so we can watch his vaunted D give up 3rd and long more often.  So innovative, nobody will know what hit them!

In all seriousness, Baltimore and Houston have shown the league how to beat the Bills.  The chronic ignoring of the WR position has dictated this would happen, though I expect that Beane and McD were sniffing their own farts to the extent that they thought they could plug anyone off the street into this brilliant offensive scheme and it would work just fine.  The front office and coaching staff must be exclusively yes men telling McD how smart he is, or they're just bad at football.

Also, if Allen actually has a concussion, they need to sit him for a couple games.  Strait up there's something wrong with him and if it's nagging injuries, the time off will do him good, if it's something in his head leaving him in to get worse isn't going to help either.  If we're just going to run run -2 yard pass punt, Trubisky can absolutely do that for a couple weeks

39 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Besides trading for Adams or Hopkins etc…., what adjustments can Brady to make the offense more affective until Shakir returns?

The obvious answer is Curtis Samuel needs to step up.   That said, the best depth we have is the RB room.  All 3 RBs can run and catch.  Maybe the solution starts there.  So what about more two back sets?  Put Davis/Johnson and Cook in the backfield and then split one out as a receiver.  UGA did this often with Cook.  

I’d even go big and utilize Gilliam as a fullback to add more power running behind Gilliam and Alec Anderson/Knox.  This also would force teams into single coverage and you might be able to hit some passes to Coleman and even MVS.  Sometimes old school works.  

Other ideas?

I'm tired of seeing "telegraphed" plays.  What I mean by that is tendencies.  Alec Anderson coming in is 80%+ run rate.  We comdense our WR alignment (ie: Hollins) beside the TE and run 90%+. 

This type of telegraphic has to stop.  

We also need to go back to the Daboll philosophy of avoiding 3rd downs.  What i mean, is be more aggressive on 1st.  We get stuck in 3rd and medium, yesterday we avg 3rd and 9+ in 1st half.

We also need to utilize playaction must better.  Under center, or even in the gun.  Move the pocket, give Josh some ability to run if there.

Screen game to RBs and TEs is non existent.  We have zero semblance, and need to get some easy passes executed.

Against 5 man rushes/man.  We need to adjust with some bunch looks.  Get easy rub routes and cause confusion with scissor action.

Finally, misdirection.  We have Curtis Samuel and a plethora of RBs.  Use some jet sweeps, fake the stretch plays and run a reverse/etc.  It's back to Dorsey non-creative schemes.

I'm not a fan of playing small ball.  It's good to have a solid running attack and balance.  But we get stale.  If we could mix in some of the above, I feel like our offense can be more multi dimensional.

Not sure why we paid Samuel, have a high paid Knox, and an MVP caliber QB, if we're going to play an offense that is basically ball control/Steeler esque.

• Like (+1) 2

Stop giving Hollins read 1 routes. He's Gabe Davis with worse hands. Throw more 50/50 balls to Coleman if you have to, at least he has upside. 

Curtis Samuel is apparently a race horse with a broken leg at this point. You know what to do there. 

Elevate a speedster from a PS. I don't even care who.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Let's just stop pretending we have a passing game and go all in on primitive run concepts. Student body right, student body left, student body middle, punt.  If McD is really serious about complimentary football he can punt on 3rd down so we can watch his vaunted D give up 3rd and long more often.  So innovative, nobody will know what hit them!

In all seriousness, Baltimore and Houston have shown the league how to beat the Bills.  The chronic ignoring of the WR position has dictated this would happen, though I expect that Beane and McD were sniffing their own farts to the extent that they thought they could plug anyone off the street into this brilliant offensive scheme and it would work just fine.  The front office and coaching staff must be exclusively yes men telling McD how smart he is, or they're just bad at football.

I don't think most teams have the horses to get pressure and man up the way baltimore and houston have.  But i expect to see a lot more man coverage as the year goes on.  The other thing they need to figure out is trying to disguise snap counts more effectively on the road.  

1 hour ago, HopelessNJBuffaloFan said:

How about adding some inside slants to the damn playbook! 

I believe teams are clogging up the middle of the field and taking those away and telling the Bills to beat them outside. They can't do it. That's the issue.

Additionally, the O-Line has not been holding up well in pass pro the last 2 weeks, even on 4 man rushes...when you are getting pressure with 4 and dropping 7 it causes a lot of issues when you have substandard WRs that take longer to get open.

• Thank you (+1) 2