Do you approve of the job Brandon Beane is doing?

Do you approve of the job Brandon Beane is doing as GM?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of the job Brandon Beane is doing?

• Yes
    • No

15 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

LOL,  1/2 a good pick for a 4th rd pick who gave us 2730 receiving yards in 4 seasons with 27 TDs.   You do realize he is 8th in his receiver class in yards and 3rd in TDs.  Not bad for the 17th receiver taken in his draft class.   

McCloud was also a very good pick.  He was the 22nd WR chosen overall.  He is 8th in game played in his WR draft class and 16th in yards.  The truth is we could use him here right now, but he is currently playing well for Atlanta.  Right now I'd take him over Hollins and MVS.  

So that's 3 hits at WR out of 7 late round WR draft picks.  That's an excellent draft record for late round picks.  Hodgins isn't a bad pick either.  

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2022-04-21/nfl-draft-picks-career-games-played-average-position

The average career of a 4th rd WR is 34.3 games  - Davis is at 69 and counting.

The average career of a 5th rd WR is 40.89 games - Shakir is in his 3rd season and is already at 35 games and counting.

The average career of a 6th rd WR is 24.04 games - McCloud is at 82 and counting; Hodgins is at 29 games and counting.

I honestly think Shakir is on his way to being a star in the NFL, but Davis, McCloud and even Hodgins are good to excellent picks given their draft status.  

I get that you and nearly everyone else (including me) thinks he should have investment more draft capital, especially early in the draft, on WR and other weapons for Josh.  I agree, but it's not accurate to say he has drafted poorly on WRs.  That simply isn't true.  

Is that the same Ray-Ray McCloud who had 36 yards as a Bill? 

That's a "very good pick" ?  You are proving my point. 

You know, we're not talking about his picks for a year or two, we are talking about 7 years. 

Now, moving forward, I'm not advocating firing Beane, never have.  What I AM saying is that for this position group, he needs to put his ego aside and delegate to someone with a better track record. 

AND...as I said in my OP in this thread, he needs to give this person authority over FA'cy acquisitions and early draft picks. 

Sorry, Beane went back to his 2018 ways regarding the WR position and it is showing.  It can't happen again.  I only hope he realizes it and takes action.

On 10/7/2024 at 9:16 AM, Gregg said:

To go into the season with these WR's is criminal when you have a QB like Allen. No matter how the rest of the year plays out, Beane needs to have a great offseason with FA and the draft in finding some elite level talent for Allen to work with next year.

yea, we say this year after year... dude just drafts weirdos and dudes with schitcks... With the 26th pick the buffalo bills select Boofy Giffelson Defensive end from East Carolina U... might as well be drafting john mcargo year after year. 

I voted “Yes”.  Every decision he makes isn’t going to be perfect, and even though he’s yet bring us a Super Bowl team, I have a lot of faith in him being able to do that job as well as anyone else out there.  Several on this board love to criticize his draft picks early, only for these players to develop beyond their draft positions and contribute to this team winning division titles every year.  We just need to get over the hump in the playoffs at this point, which I believe Beane can continue to position us for.

3 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Maybe those loads of picks and signings....just aren't good?  

What else can he do tho? Play the snaps for them?

Who did he miss out on for the DL with those picks? Only one I can really think of with the benefit of hindsight is he should have gone Jeffrey Simmons over Ed in 2019. That entire draft is an exercise in hindsight. Could have gone 1. Simmons 2. AJ Brown/DK Metcalf 3. Terry McLaurin 3b. Maxx Crosby, but easy to do that now.

Looking back at the 2021 draft, Rousseau looks to be the best DL taken across at least the first 3 rounds, maybe whole draft.

And he did bring in an all-pro and future HoFer in Von, who was playing well up until the Detroit injury.

Point is, he's buying the ingredients we need. Up to the coaches and players to cook.

Beane and McD will probably stay here because of what the standards are for Pegula and a good chunk of the fanbase - to just be good. Nothing more. 

The standard here is not a Superbowl. That's just reality. We've been stagnant for 4 years now. What has progressed? Nothing has gotten better. Since going to the AFC title game 4 years ago, we can't even get out of the Divisional Round and we don't look to be any better than that this year. We are wasting a generational talent at QB. 

But for so many, it's good enough. It's sad to see because with a solid level of competence at Head Coach and GM, we'd probably have a SB by now and/or be in a better position today. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I think he's done a pretty mediocre job overall tbh. Lots of puzzling picks and FA signings.

For example, drafting Kincaid when he already had and paid Knox that was already underused. Now we have two TEs that we don't use. Paying Harty 9 million dollars to be a punt returner with no part in the offense was ultimately wasteful. Just two examples. There are more. 

• Agree 1