[Misleading Title]

3 minutes ago, Sojourner said:

OK. And then what happens if they get beat deep for a TD? It’s even more maniac from the fan base. You shouldn’t be in the position anyway. All 3 of Houston’s time outs should have been forced to be used. 

BUT. You play them over the top, only allow a short pass and hope they either don’t get down quick enough and time expires or you force them into a long FG. 

59 yards is no gimme. Credit to Fairburn. 

They give up a TD there he’s begging for unemployment tomorrow. 

So in a tie game, with 7 seconds left, near midfield the best defensive plan was to play to prevent a Hail Mary with the last play of regulation?  What?

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

The big question is- Why the hell are the safeties playing the goal line when Houston only needed 5 yards... lol.

McDermott will never learn from 13 seconds 

12 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Why were Safeties playing to prevent a TD in a FG situation?

12 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

extremely heads-up defending against the Hail Mary.  So smart

9 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Agree, Embarrassing stuff from both teams.

Made no sense!

Actually made perfect sense. They played it great IMHO. The safeties were cheating the legal contact over the top. If anyone broke free the rotate immediately. 

watch this video, the coverage is perfect. Just a great play by Houston due to no pass rush or pressure. 

FULL FINAL PLAY <<<<<<<<<<

6 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

So in a tie game, with 7 seconds left, near midfield the best defensive plan was to play to prevent a Hail Mary with the last play of regulation?  What?

See link above 

Edited by Sojourner
  • Vomit 1

10 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

it would appear so.  I dunno how else to explain Hamlin and Bishop playing thay deep.  Unless Babich and McD were just trying to keep them the hell away from the play entirely 😅

3 minutes ago, Sojourner said:

They played the short pass and deep ball. What do you want a safety to do in the coverage on that video???

???There was 7 seconds left on the clock.

• Agree 1

There were 11 men on the field during the play.  Rasul Douglas said (and it can be shown on videos) that Williams didn’t make it on the field until after the Bills broke out and there were about 10-12 seconds before the snap for him to get up to speed.  Douglas didn’t think he knew the play call.

Actually looking at Sojourner's point that by the time the play got off, the Bills did have 11 men on the field (it was probably late but they were there) so the SI article is exaggerated but what about the point that Douglas made that Dorian Williams didnt know what the play was? How were they not aware of what personnel were going to be out there and why was Williams late getting on? And what about the strange defensive configuration? Like they were playing a Hail Mary. They only rushed ONE MAN at Stroud! ONE!??? It was seriously one of the weirdest plays I have ever seen the Bills do on defense ever. It almost seemed like they wanted to throw the game, it was that dumb.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

it would appear so.  I dunno how else to explain Hamlin and Bishop playing thay deep.  Unless Babich and McD were just trying to keep them the hell away from the play entirely 😅

???There was 7 seconds left on the clock.

dude. Watch the video or go back to the post I edited on page 1. The safeties are the only players deep incase they beat the contact trying to take away the short game. 

If McD loses that game to a TD instead of a FG it’s worse. Still a sh-t show but worse. 

I get it, I’m not making excuses. Simply pointing out that the coverage deployed at the end of the game was perfect and as good as any. It took away any TD and the short game.

No pass rush was an issue. 

Not THE issue. 

3 passes, stopping the clock and allowing Houston to have all of their time outs lost the game. Not the coverage there. I actually can give credit to McD for something successful; forcing them into a 59 yarder after the moronic choices before. 

Questions need answered about coaching but again, that play isn’t it. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Sojourner said:

OK. And then what happens if they get beat deep for a TD? It’s even more maniac from the fan base. You shouldn’t be in the position anyway. All 3 of Houston’s time outs should have been forced to be used. 

BUT. You play them over the top, only allow a short pass and hope they either don’t get down quick enough and time expires or you force them into a long FG. 

59 yards is no gimme. Credit to Fairburn. 

They give up a TD there he’s begging for unemployment tomorrow. 

I’ll take my chances on Houston completing a low percentage pass versus getting quick cheap yards for a closer FG. No team, NO team is thinking TD there. If it happens it’s due to a broken or extended play, all of which eats up the clock. A 60 yard FG is more likely to be completed than a singular throw for a TD in that situation. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Brand J said:

I’ll take my chances on Houston completing a low percentage pass versus getting quick cheap yards for a closer FG. No team, NO team is thinking TD there. If it happens it’s due to a broken or extended play, all of which eats up the clock. A 60 yard FG is more likely to be completed than a singular throw for a TD in that situation. 

You know what’s more likely? Getting to OT by running the ball 3 times instead of hoping you get deep shots with no time outs. 

Houston had at least 1 TO and can work anywhere on the field. The reason it gets to 2 seconds is because of the coverage lol

i don’t know how anyone is finding any issue with the safeties lining up deep. 

No pass rush was the only things wrong there. Shouldn’t have been 1 guy and if you do, you account for the only guy blocking who was eligible. 

Getting hung up on that being “how we lost the game” is wild. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i think the bigger issue with the play was how deep the safeties were. I think Williams came on late, but was in good position.

but Why are the safeties 25 yards down field? 

Because just like 13 seconds the stupid coach  had a lapse in thinking and apparently thought Houston would somehow go deep when they only needed 5-10 for legit FG range. 

• Agree 2

55 minutes ago, Chugga said:

I’m trying my hardest not to beat a dead horse here but you could fill an entire newspaper with stories like these over the last 5 years.  Miscommunication during absolutely critical moments.

yea- there were several minutes to prepare loose contingencies of “short gain needed, fast” vs “Hail Mary”

to come out of the punt unsure what’s happening is a mess. 10 guys and not playing either strategy is a pretty tremendous fail, 

we’ve seen a lot of those in tight games 

20 minutes ago, Sojourner said:

dude. Watch the video or go back to the post I edited on page 1. The safeties are the only players deep incase they beat the contact trying to take away the short game. 

If McD loses that game to a TD instead of a FG it’s worse. Still a sh-t show but worse. 

I get it, I’m not making excuses. Simply pointing out that the coverage deployed at the end of the game was perfect and as good as any. It took away any TD and the short game.

No pass rush was an issue. 

Not THE issue. 

3 passes, stopping the clock and allowing Houston to have all of their time outs lost the game. Not the coverage there. I actually can give credit to McD for something successful; forcing them into a 59 yarder after the moronic choices before. 

Questions need answered about coaching but again, that play isn’t it. 

you seem to be echoing that coaching to lose the way least upsetting to fans is the best approach 

it’s a terrible approach. 

17 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

yea- there were several minutes to prepare loose contingencies of “short gain needed, fast” vs “Hail Mary”

to come out of the punt unsure what’s happening is a mess. 10 guys and not playing either strategy is a pretty tremendous fail, 

we’ve seen a lot of those in tight games 

you seem to be echoing that coaching to lose the way least upsetting to fans is the best approach 

it’s a terrible approach. 

thats your interpretation. 

I am pointing out that the terrible approach had been made. Houston could stop stop the clock with timeouts and can work the whole field. 

With the errors that essentially cost the game I can live with him making them have to take the short pass and kick a long FG than give up a TD or short FG. Nothing more. Not an excuse. Not saying he lost admirably. 

All I am pointing out is that isn’t where anyone should bother having an issue with the final plays of the game. 

1 hour ago, Sojourner said:

LMAO

Sensational writing at its best. I had to rewatch this after reading that article. 

Totally inaccurate. Do they not think we can rewatch????

This is Williams already in the middle of the field.  Bishop booking it back whilst the one judge has just placed the ball at the LOS and is still visible next to Houston’s OLine:

IMG-0145.jpg

This is everyone set and ready for 2 to 3 seconds before the ball is snapped…

IMG-0144.jpg

Safeties were deep yes but a beat of press prevents a TD, the rest take short passes taken away. Perfect coverage. Pass goes to the leak out due to no pass rush/pressure. 

>>>>>> FULL FINAL PLAY <<<<<<<

IMG-0148.png

IMG-0149.png

How people are complaining about the above coverage is wild. Especially with the garbage “10 men/not ready”. That coverage, again, is perfect. 

The only issue anyone should have with the end of the game is not making Houston use all 3 of their time outs. 

Thank you for posting this.  I've been wanting the Bills to implement this kind of defense at end-of-game situations like this where they rush only 1 or 2 defenders and the rest play coverage.  You're not worried about the time, and they just need something short.  The pass rush isn't going to get there regardless.  The play call was great.  They just hit the back out of the backfield to get the 5 yards, and thats all they needed.

People want to complain about something and not actually research what happened.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

Can we change the title? It's not true. The Bills were not missing a man on that play.

Agreed let’s change it to…

”11 men on the field, 10 knew the play”

13 minutes ago, Chugga said:

Agreed let’s change it to…

”11 men on the field, 10 knew the play”

9 men defending the play. 2 participating in an entirely different game near the goal line for a reason only understood by McDermott

22 minutes ago, BufBills83 said:

Thank you for posting this.  I've been wanting the Bills to implement this kind of defense at end-of-game situations like this where they rush only 1 or 2 defenders and the rest play coverage.  You're not worried about the time, and they just need something short.  The pass rush isn't going to get there regardless.  The play call was great.  They just hit the back out of the backfield to get the 5 yards, and thats all they needed.

People want to complain about something and not actually research what happened.

So when every yard counts and giving up 5 yards basically equals a loss…. You want to play 9 on 11?

Gotta go cover zero. Force a bad throw, maybe get a sack or pick 

Edited by WeckMonster