Postseason is ALL that matters

8 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I would NOT call the defense today excellent.  Waaaayyyy too many 3rd-and-longs yielded.

Decent, yes.

I don't think our defense was excellent today on the average play. They make 3 really big plays (4th down stuff, INT, and fumble recovery). Relying on big plays probably won't work every week, but maybe thing will be better if we can get healthier.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

How many other NFL Head Coaches in the NFL have managed to not only make the playoffs for 5 straight years, but also to win a playoff game in 4 straight years.

Marty did it 6 times in a row in the 90's

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

I mean: I would hope Pegula has made it perfectly clear: win in the playoffs or the coaching staff is gone.

Idc if the Bills go 8-9, win the division and make it to the Superbowl. I think anything less than a AFC Championship game should result in the firing of the coaching staff

They have no WR and the defense is full of holes…SB is not in their near future so hopefully there is a new staff on the horizon 

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This team is very clearly still trying to find itself... both offensively and defensively... and don't you think our D kinda did today??? Other than the Collins TD they were pretty excellent! Now we need to see some of that switch flipping on the other side of the ball.

But that need for growth and learning was exposed for our defense in the 1st half against the Cardinals and last week against the Ravens. 

It was exposed for our offense in the 1st half against the Cardinals and for most of the last couple weeks.

Throw in a half dozen or so impact players missing time over the first 5 games and you have a recipe for a team that looks bad and has a losing record.

But guess what... we have a winning record; the only team in the AFC East able to say that. And we will be getting those impact players back over the next several weeks. And our Coordinators are young and learning.

And Josh Allen.

Anyone watch the Jets, Patriots or Dolphins lately? Those are bad football teams. I'd love the #1 seed and to have the best record in the NFL... but really it's mainly because I spend an unhealthy amount of time listening to sports media podcasts. That said, the simple reality is that this is a football team still finding its footing at 3-2 and they're doing it while being in probably the worst division in the NFL and still have the 2nd best player in the NFL.

Get in the playoffs at 15-2...

Get in the playoffs at 9-8...

You have Josh Allen.

Year 6 into this run for us Bills fans and we really need to try to just enjoy the ride of the regular season hoping that losses bring learning experiences.

Priority #1 after the last 2 weeks: please keep your QB clean. We've had 2 "oh ***** our season's over!!!" moments in the last 2 weeks.

Get Josh Allen to the postseason healthy.

It's a brand new season when everything resets anyways.

Great thread. All the winners have realized this lesson. How many times we’ve seen Brady and Mahomes have bad regular season losses before cruising in the playoffs. 

I always think about Eli Manning. Those Giants teams were the epitome of wild card mediocrity. But 2 Super Bowl runs. 

Just get to the playoffs. And luckily, our division sucks to bail us out this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

You're just ignoring the bigger picture, and that is that the coaching is still and always will be the downfall of this team

Whether it bites us now or in the playoffs...it's going to be why we fail to get it done

The OP is just forcing himself to be Mr positivity and pretend that the real issue that will ultimately show itself doesn't exist

The difference is that in terms of coaching we have 2 very young Coordinators trying to figure things out week by week.

After a few hours of mulling on this loss I actually think this game shows some growth in McDermott.

I understand the criticism for today, but that 4th and 5 call for the TD was ballsy... and the call to actually go for it was obviously Sean's decision even if he's hands off on the play call. And also... in retrospect that ending was awful, but in his Press Conference McDermott basically said he wants the ball in Josh's hands.

You guys remember what happened in KC with 13 seconds left on the clock? What if Josh hit one of those down the field throws the way Mahomes did to Kelce? Do we criticize him?

What if we run Cook 3 times in a row and he gets stuffed and Houston still has plenty of time for that FG? Wouldn't we be crucifying him.

If anything McDermott overcorrected for last week, but I'd rather see him demonstrate that kind of confidence in Allen than running the ball on 3 straight plays.

And as for the play calls themselves, Brady is the play caller and he's still learning.

27 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

We're supposed to be a team competing for a SB and not some lowly team just happy to be in the hunt. The way this roster is constructed there is zero chance we are going far in the playoffs. 

Luckily the Super Bowl is over 4 months away 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The difference is that in terms of coaching we have 2 very young Coordinators trying to figure things out week by week.

After a few hours of mulling on this loss I actually think this game shows some growth in McDermott.

I understand the criticism for today, but that 4th and 5 call for the TD was ballsy... and the call to actually go for it was obviously Sean's decision even if he's hands off on the play call. And also... in retrospect that ending was awful, but in his Press Conference McDermott basically said he wants the ball in Josh's hands.

You guys remember what happened in KC with 13 seconds left on the clock? What if Josh hit one of those down the field throws the way Mahomes did to Kelce? Do we criticize him?

What if we run Cook 3 times in a row and he gets stuffed and Houston still has plenty of time for that FG? Wouldn't we be crucifying him.

If anything McDermott overcorrected for last week, but I'd rather see him demonstrate that kind of confidence in Allen than running the ball on 3 straight plays.

And as for the play calls themselves, Brady is the play caller and he's still learning.

Why are we hiring somebody that needs to learn on the job to the extent where we can use that to justify poor performance? He was a coordinator for the Panthers for two years as well. Just not an excuse. 

4 minutes ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

They have no WR and the defense is full of holes…SB is not in their near future so hopefully there is a new staff on the horizon 

I think the Defense is fine: I think the philosophy is wrong. The non-stop zone defense that is all bend but don't break needs to end. It is terrible against good QBs.

If you get a #1 WR, a true WR. You could have McMillan, Shakir and Coleman with Kincaid. That's a great group imo.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

They aren't making the post season.   You know this

21 minutes ago, BufBills83 said:

You want to put money on that?

19 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Sure

Count me in on this bet please.

I got a traffic ticket the other day for $97.

How about we make it an even $100 so I can also get a coffee?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This team is very clearly still trying to find itself... both offensively and defensively... and don't you think our D kinda did today??? Other than the Collins TD they were pretty excellent! Now we need to see some of that switch flipping on the other side of the ball.

But that need for growth and learning was exposed for our defense in the 1st half against the Cardinals and last week against the Ravens. 

It was exposed for our offense in the 1st half against the Cardinals and for most of the last couple weeks.

Throw in a half dozen or so impact players missing time over the first 5 games and you have a recipe for a team that looks bad and has a losing record.

But guess what... we have a winning record; the only team in the AFC East able to say that. And we will be getting those impact players back over the next several weeks. And our Coordinators are young and learning.

And Josh Allen.

Anyone watch the Jets, Patriots or Dolphins lately? Those are bad football teams. I'd love the #1 seed and to have the best record in the NFL... but really it's mainly because I spend an unhealthy amount of time listening to sports media podcasts. That said, the simple reality is that this is a football team still finding its footing at 3-2 and they're doing it while being in probably the worst division in the NFL and still have the 2nd best player in the NFL.

Get in the playoffs at 15-2...

Get in the playoffs at 9-8...

You have Josh Allen.

Year 6 into this run for us Bills fans and we really need to try to just enjoy the ride of the regular season hoping that losses bring learning experiences.

Priority #1 after the last 2 weeks: please keep your QB clean. We've had 2 "oh ***** our season's over!!!" moments in the last 2 weeks.

Get Josh Allen to the postseason healthy.

It's a brand new season when everything resets anyways.

If history repeats they'll be two and out again while getting out-coached and out-played by a team that is not any better than them... just better prepared...

Edited by KOKBILLS

29 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Why are we hiring somebody that needs to learn on the job to the extent where we can use that to justify poor performance? He was a coordinator for the Panthers for two years as well. Just not an excuse. 

He was actually an OC for a season and a half, he was fired midway through his second season there.  

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

I totally agree that only the playoffs matter. But in large chunks of the Baltimore and Houston games this does not appear to be a playoff caliber club. The good news is that we play in arguably the worst division this season, so even mediocre football gets you in the tournament. 

Yeah, right now it's odd that the AFC has slid back a bit, it doesn't look like there's 7 playoff-caliber teams in the whole conference.

44 minutes ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

That is a fair point. 

And actually the reason they should. 

Those exact problems are their fault. Injuries to the defense, sure. It happens and they can’t help it but there is still talent problems on both sides of the ball. Safety and Receiver. 

19 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

He was actually an OC for a season and a half, he was fired midway through his second season there.  

He should have several years OTJ here to suck as much as possible. Get that learning in. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The NFL season and postseason is generally a struggle all the way with the Elite QBs making up for it with just a handful of plays

The problem is we don't have enough talent around Josh to help him along the way. 

This team isnt good enough for a deep playoff run. I don't think our OC is good enough for that either.  Every team needs some game changers. We don't have any at all besides QB.  He can't do it alone.  We have a bunch of good guys but no great guys.

Getting to the postseason isn't all that matters, it's winning in it. 

The way we playing there no way we even win a wildcard game this time. 

We're in the same exact position that we were in last season at this time except that our offense hasn't played nearly as well through five games.