Some objectivity

oldmanfan

1.  O line has got to play better than they did today.  Two weeks in a row they got shoved around.

2.  Coordinators have to come out better in the first half than they have the last two games.  Brady especially has to look at his schemes to get guys open, and having an O line play better would help a lot.

3.  People wanted challenges but we have the retired ex-ref in the booth.  I suspect we didn’t challenge because he advised they’d be unsuccessful.

4.  Josh seemed to be pushing today.  Missed some throws that should have been made but needs more help from his O line especially.

5.  Might be time to put in a call to Micah.

6.  The 3 downs at the end?  Can argue it many ways.  If you run and get stuffed they use their TOs and get the ball with time for a play, quick spike and a kick.  If you pass and don’t complete the same thing.  Only thing that would definitively changed things was to get a first down.

6a).  Lose to a 59 yard FG you tip your hat to the kicker.

7.  How Josh was able to clear protocol and come right back in is a mystery.  No way a shot like he took when his head slammed into the turf was harmless.

8.  They’re 3-2, one more away game then the schedule eases.  Still leading the division.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

1.  O line has got to play better than they did today.  Two weeks in a row they got shoved around.

2.  Coordinators have to come out better in the first half than they have the last two games.  Brady especially has to look at his schemes to get guys open, and having an O line play better would help a lot.

3.  People wanted challenges but we have the retired ex-ref in the booth.  I suspect we didn’t challenge because he advised they’d be unsuccessful.

4.  Josh seemed to be pushing today.  Missed some throws that should have been made but needs more help from his O line especially.

6.  The 3 downs at the end?  Can argue it many ways.  If you run and get stuffed they use their TOs and get the ball with time for a play, quick spike and a kick.  If you pass and don’t complete the same thing.  Only thing that would definitively changed things was to get a first down.

7.  How Josh was able to clear protocol and come right back in is a mystery.  No way a shot like he took when his head slammed into the turf was harmless.

8.  They’re 3-2, one more away game then the schedule eases.  Still leading the division.

the end of the game was a total cluster.  you don’t chuck it long 3 times from the end-zone.  This kills no clock or TO, opens a possible safety holding call, and fails to move the field position from a punt further. I’m not tipping my hat to the great kicker who we gifted great field position by another McD meltdown.  

Agree on the OL issues.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

I like it.

They could win the division with 9 wins.    Win 4 of the next 5 against tomato cans and they're almost there.

true, but then what?  another early playoff loss and another year of JA wasted

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

I like it.

They could win the division with 9 wins.    Win 4 of the next 5 against tomato cans and they're almost there.

And then an early playoff exit, that feels like today in some type of manner that’s directly related to McDermott. Awesome.

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Thank you for the objective review. 

Agree with all of your points. A 59 yard field goal is spectacular and statistically unlikely. Around 20% odds historically. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

You have to run it 3 straight times, keep the clock ticking and force Houston to use TO's.......you never know, we might have gained some yards. We certainly weren't going to have any open WR's in the last 30 seconds when they weren't open all game long.

Houston was probably just loving us for trying to throw it......i would have loved to be on the Texans sideline listening to that conversation.

They were probably as baffled as the rest of us.

McDoormat, strikes again.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, RyanC883 said:

Playoff experience for the young guys would be nice, and who knows maybe things fall their way and JA gets hot.

To miss the playoffs entirely would set this franchsie back and possibly cost McD his job. 

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I would actually be very surprised if they didn't calll Hyde this week.

1 minute ago, Sweats said:

You have to run it 3 straight times, keep the clock ticking and force Houston to use TO's.......you never know, we might have gained some yards. We certainly weren't going to have any open WR's in the last 30 seconds when they weren't open all game long.

Houston was probably just loving us for trying to throw it......i would have loved to be on the Texans sideline listening to that conversation.

But here’s the thing.  You could also say you never know, maybe a WR breaks a tackle and gets them down the field to kick a FG.

When a plan doesn’t work out the urge is always to say doing it a different way would have.  But no one knows that.  If we had run it 3 times , kicked, and they end it with the FG people would be saying they should have thrown to try and get a first down.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

This year’s result was already set in motions by the offseason moves. Some fans just refuse to see it. 

• Agree 1

Just now, billsfan714 said:

I would actually be very surprised if they didn't calll Hyde this week.

They aren't a Micah Hyde away from the super bowl this year.

Hyde was an all-time favorite as a Bill. I'd hate to see him come out of retirement and risk further neck injury for the 2024 Bills, it's just not worth it.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Would've preferred they run the ball 3 times, but if you want to mix in a pass to try and catch them off guard that's fine, but go heavy and use PA don't empty the backfield.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

But here’s the thing.  You could also say you never know, maybe a WR breaks a tackle and gets them down the field to kick a FG.

When a plan doesn’t work out the urge is always to say doing it a different way would have.  But no one knows that.  If we had run it 3 times , kicked, and they end it with the FG people would be saying they should have thrown to try and get a first down.

But, our running game was working alllllllllll game long, the passing game was not, so......