Do we trust McBeane in next years draft.

Buffalo Boy

4 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Yea people look at how many hits/busts he has without context.  You’ve gotta look at the other perennially good teams that are drafting in the late first year in and year out 

the chiefs whiff all the time and they are a well run franchise.  Late first there really are no sure things 

Beane’s post-draft FA signings have to be the worst in the league. 

2 hours ago, Pre1236 said:

The deepest WR draft in years and they took the 8th receiver off the board. Why would we trust them?

He didn't have a shot at the first 4 WR's off the board. By all accounts, had he stayed out at 28, he would have taken Keon Coleman and instead of him being the "8th receiver off the board" he would have been the 5th. And the result would have been the same. 

7 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Yea people look at how many hits/busts he has without context.  You’ve gotta look at the other perennially good teams that are drafting in the late first year in and year out 

the chiefs whiff all the time and they are a well run franchise.  Late first there really are no sure things 

Every front office whiffs on picks.  In his 7 drafts and 8 off-seasons, aside from Allen, how much top-end talent has he acquired?

You mentioned the Chiefs - look at their drafts and signings, and do the same exercise.

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He didn't have a shot at the first 4 WR's off the board. By all accounts, had he stayed out at 28, he would have taken Keon Coleman and instead of him being the "8th receiver off the board" he would have been the 5th. And the result would have been the same. 

And we snagged a DT that is lookin quite good in the process lol people are complaining we got an additional good player and the wr we wanted? 🤣

Crazy question.  Beane has been one of the highest hit rate drafters since he took the role.  You can criticize parts other parts of roster building, like where dollars are allocated and FA strategy, but there is no reason to think we will not continue drafting successful NFL players.  The only real draft critique is that Beane leans towards safer options instead of high risk/reward options (this is both why he drafts successfully and also hasn't had many "Blue chip" hits)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

I honestly think Beane is a good drafter.

We have had two critical issues in the postseason, outside coaching..

Big time injuries on the defense and a fundamental lack of investment at WR. 

The defense will, potentially, get everyone back at some point this season. 

The offense can salvaged by adding a legitimate WR to this room via trade.   It would be great to have that 2 from the Diggs trade, but you can’t just throw away a season for a draft pick. 

he’s a horrible drafter. Absolutely horrible 

9 minutes ago, Rew said:

Crazy question.  Beane has been one of the highest hit rate drafters since he took the role.  You can criticize parts other parts of roster building, like where dollars are allocated and FA strategy, but there is no reason to think we will not continue drafting successful NFL players.  The only real draft critique is that Beane leans towards safer options instead of high risk/reward options (this is both why he drafts successfully and also hasn't had many "Blue chip" hits)

Well yeah, and a bunch of us are arguing that he isn’t getting as high a reward, especially in the early rounds. 

29 minutes ago, Rew said:

That's the thing - it's hard to win in the playoffs without 'blue chip' players.  If you're content with being the Kings of Wild Card weekend, then stay the course. Personally I want more than that.

• Agree 2

47 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Every front office whiffs on picks.  In his 7 drafts and 8 off-seasons, aside from Allen, how much top-end talent has he acquired?

You mentioned the Chiefs - look at their drafts and signings, and do the same exercise.

I mentioned the chiefs because I’ve spent a lot of time doing exactly what you’re suggesting before 🤣. They hit on some picks years ago that now command big contracts and have been mostly struggling to add talent with that limiting factor…parity has been eroding a previously insanely talented team despite dumping tyreek for even more picks.

last year they were the healthiest team in the playoffs by a considerable margin which I believe evened out some of their deficiencies and this year it’s been evening out so we’ll see how it goes down the stretch 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

26 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

That's the thing - it's hard to win in the playoffs without 'blue chip' players.  If you're content with being the Kings of Wild Card weekend, then stay the course. Personally I want more than that.

Some of this ‘blue chip’ business I’d argue is media biased.  Benford is playing great the last year plus but gets no play from the national media just as an example. If he was in a market like New Jersey 😂 he would get his own cool nickname and be talked about all the time 

and then you have kind of the opposite situation where the media thinks someone like James cook is great but posters here don’t so he doesn’t qualify for blue chip status either

then sprinkle in guys like tre white and von miller playing great then having career altering leg injuries, Milano missing a few playoff runs,etc. I’m pretty sure in that afc championship all our receivers were absolutely mangled too lol 

If things get really bad this season then sure blow everything up but losing mostly squeakers to the chiefs with the pretty bad luck we’ve had doesn’t warrant that yet imo 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

3 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

While you are all tripping over yourselves starting Fire McD threads , it ain’t happening any time soon.
    As previously stated, I would have last January. He blew our best chance with 13 seconds, (they) doubled down on trying to ride out that aging squad and now we are in a rebuild. A bunch didn’t want to hear it but it is where we are. This roster is not good and is also not being correctly used. 

Assuming, they are both still here and allowed to use the veritable bounty of pics next year to rebuild this roster, do you trust them? 
    I don’t. 
    I don’t trust them to pick the right wideout(s). Wasn’t a Coleman fan and not really of any of their WR draft picks. Diggs, Beasely and Brown were the best group IMO and none of them were our draft picks. I don’t have a problem with FA or trades in WR acquisition but they haven’t been doing well in that regard lately, both in who and how they are used.
    I don’t trust them to pick the right D linemen. I also don’t trust them not to prioritize D line over other needs and then get it wrong again. 
    I don’t trust them to get a linebacker big enough to do the job AND stay healthy. 
    Their O line picking is kinda middle of the road. Morris, McGovern, Teller ( good pick, bad decision to let him go) and Torrence were good acquisitions.

Im not a Brown fan and O line has never been very good.

They seem amazing at DBs and small LBs but it’s not enough.

Finally, regarding picking WRs next year. If we do, standard thought is it will be 2027 before any of those picks might be ready. That is too long to give these two as Josh’s prime is ticking away.

The draft? We should be caring about winning a SB in the now, trade the picks for players who can get us a SB. Allen has been getting killed the past 2 games so get him some weapons who can actually get open and catch the ball. I don't care what picks we give up at this point!

3 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

I haven’t trusted Beane in drafts since he passed on DK and AJ Brown for Cody Ford.

His entire resume is Josh Allen… the end.

That and Boogie Basham over Creed Humphrey were the most frustrating draft blunders for me but there have been plenty of other ones too.  I don't think Beane is terrible but I do think he has made too many draft mistakes that have prevented us from being a true SB contender. 

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

The draft? We should be caring about winning a SB in the now, trade the picks for players who can get us a SB. Allen has been getting killed the past 2 games so get him some weapons who can actually get open and catch the ball. I don't care what picks we give up at this point!

Uhhh, we aren’t going to a SB this year.

I had us at 9 wins, no playoffs. Feelin sad but comfortable with that prediction 

Just now, Buffalo Boy said:

Uhhh, we aren’t going to a SB this year.

I had us at 9 wins, no playoffs. Feelin sad but comfortable with that prediction 

I agree but I definitely think we'll make playoffs and most likely win the division so instead of using picks on low end players I'd rather trade for players who can help us now is what I meant.

• Like (+1) 1

Isnt this McDs 8th year....his shelf life is getting closer imho.   In 2 more he'll have 10 in.   How many coaches do you know that have been with the same  team 10 years and no championship game appearances?   And when i say championship Im talking superbowl.   Hell i bet even 8 is rare.

Edited by billsfan714
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, ghostwriter said:

As a longtime supporter of Coach McD, my support is drying up. I would be okay with Brandon Beane staying on as GM though. There is more than enough talent on this roster, the game planning is getting sloppy and that’s the coaches fault, not Beane’s.

I totally agree. I still think BB finds some diamonds in the rough. He does struggle a little with picks in the first 3 rounds. McD has nothing left that I want. His adorable mission statement "culture & process" has fallen on deaf ears.