Josh Allen - is he playing injured?

GoBills!

I have noticed his mechanics are off a little bit since the stupid flea flicker play in Baltimore. Then today he went to the tent again. Prior to the tent he seemed to have a different release than game 1 and 2. Anyone think it’s a collar bone, shoulder injury, or deep muscle bruise. 

1 minute ago, GoBills! said:

I have noticed his mechanics are off a little bit since the stupid flea flicker play in Baltimore. Then today he went to the tent again. Prior to the tent he seemed to have a different release than game 1 and 2. Anyone think it’s a collar bone, shoulder injury, or deep muscle bruise. 

Should just sit him for the year to heal up. Get a top 5 draft pick. Get the best WR coming out next year. And try this thing all over again. 

• Haha (+1) 2

He is playing injured.  He either has a broken left hand or a couple broken fingers on that hand.  That said, the offensive coordinator is calling throws he has traditionally not thrown well.   He is at his best when he can throw between the hashes.  Instead, we have a coordinator who wants him to throw bubble screens and comebacks outside of the hashes.    They played three bad teams to start the year and they were able to hide it.   

One more thing.  Why can our franchise QB who can throw the ball 80 yards in the air never hit an open go route?

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 3

I really wonder how he’ll age as a QB. He’s taken so many hits already, I feel like he’s going to end up a statue that can’t move by 33. He hasn’t been sharp the last couple of weeks. Teams are on to this O and it’s going to be a tough watch. 

• Agree 1

Just now, bouds said:

I really wonder how he’ll age as a QB. He’s taken so many hits already, I feel like he’s going to end up a statue that can’t move by 33. He hasn’t been sharp the last couple of weeks. Teams are on to this O and it’s going to be a tough watch. 

He took an absolute beating today despite taking only one sack.

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

He is playing injured.  He either has a broken left hand or a couple broken fingers on that hand.  That said, the offensive coordinator is calling throws he has traditionally not thrown well.   He is at his best when he can throw between the hashes.  Instead, we have a coordinator who wants him to throw bubble screens and comebacks outside of the hashes.    They played three bad teams to start the year and they were able to hide it.   

One more thing.  Why can our franchise QB who can throw the ball 80 yards in the air never hit an open go route?

He did if Hollins could track a f-ing football 

• Like (+1) 1

No, I don’t think so.

Im also in the minority that thinks Josh played fine today. 

Yes, his stats will show a poor performance, but that is without context.

1) He was pressured on nearly 80% of his drop backs in the first half. That is absurd. It’s mind boggling. It’s insane.

2) We had 4 receiver drops in the first half, including a dropped TD.

3) None of his receiving options were getting separation.

4) Brady was awful. Enough with the WR screens. It’s our only hot route and teams have figured it out.

Any QB is going to start to press when his line is a sieve, his receivers aren’t catching, no-one is getting separation, and his coach sers him up for failure. 

Allen didn’t fail the team today - the team failed him. And that’s not the same thing as saying he didn’t play below average. What it means is that he played below average due to circumstances beyond his shoulder pads.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Even Tom Brady would look off in games if he got hit hard often and early due to poor pass protection and could not find open guys. That last season in New England in 2019 he looked off when he was throwing to a corpse crew of receivers and his line was shakey

Exactly. And that’s why Brady forced his way out and went to a team with a good WR corps.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, GoBills! said:

I don’t think it’s wise for any fan to play doctor from their couch but you do you. 

If you want to stick to what we know, or at least surmise with a bit of evidence - he’s had a left hand injury. The hit that knocked him out briefly today could have been a head thing, he clearly hit it on the turf . The commentators did a little amateur lip reading and claimed Allen was indicating his chest was the issue. so that could be a thing as well.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Exactly. And that’s why Brady forced his way out and went to a team with a good WR corps.

Yep. And if we don't help Allen, I can see him doing something similar in the future. His partner is a Hollywood celebrity. Stafford left for the Rams because the Lions failed to properly help him after Calvin Johnson retired. Allen could be gone by 2029/2030 if we don't help him 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Einstein said:

No, I don’t think so.

Im also in the minority that thinks Josh played fine today. 

Yes, his stats will show a poor performance, but that is without context.

1) He was pressured on nearly 80% of his drop backs in the first half. That is absurd. It’s mind boggling. It’s insane.

2) We had 4 receiver drops in the first half, including a dropped TD.

3) None of his receiving options were getting separation.

4) Brady was awful. Enough with the WR screens. It’s our only hot route and teams have figured it out.

Any QB is going to start to press when his line is a sieve, his receivers aren’t catching, no-one is getting separation, and his coach sers him up for failure. 

Allen didn’t fail the team today - the team failed him. And that’s not the same thing as saying he didn’t play below average. What it means is that he played below average due to circumstances beyond his shoulder pads.

Some of your first-half “drops” were plays requiring WRs to make near-impossible circus catches. The deep pass to Hollins was inaccurate (a recurring problem) and the pass to Coleman was literally 2 yards out of bounds. He had a terrible game. The Texans dropped a couple of INT-worthy passes too. It happens. Every QB has the occasional bad game.

7 minutes ago, Beast said:

After watching Allen and the Bills offense get beat up by two average defenses, I have serious doubts Allen is going to make it tbrough the season.

I agree. @Simon Mentioned the last game he thought Allen hurt his throwing shoulder. I am leaning toward that myself now seeing the lack of power on the deep ball to Kincaid and a couple that hit the dirt. After what we thought was a concussion, he mouthed to the training staff "Chest". I would MRI the shoulder and chest area tomorrow.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Some of your first-half “drops” were plays requiring WRs to make near-impossible circus catches. The deep pass to Hollins was inaccurate (a recurring problem) and the pass to Coleman was literally 2 yards out of bounds. He had a terrible game. The Texans dropped a couple of INT-worthy passes too. It happens. Every QB has the occasional bad game.

Circus catch? Come on…

I get it - you’re one of the posters who thinks players shouldn’t be expected to catch a pass unless it drills them between the numbers of their jersey.

I am the complete opposite.

This is the NFL.

If a ball hits your hands, you catch it. Period. No if’s, ands, or butts. There are players all over the league making *actual* circus catches.

The fact that our fans consider a routine over the shoulder pass that hits the receiver in both, a “circus catch” is laughable. And pathetic. 

Just catch the damn ball!

IMG-3903.jpg

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Circus catch? Come on…

I get it - you’re one of the posters who thinks players shouldn’t be expected to catch a pass unless it drills them between the numbers of their jersey.

I am the complete opposite.

This is the NFL.

If a ball hits your hands, you catch it. Period. No if’s, ands, or butts. There are players all over the league making *actual* circus catches.

The fact that our fans consider a routine over the shoulder pass that hits the receiver in both, a “circus catch” is laughable. And pathetic. 

Just catch the damn ball!

IMG-3903.jpg

That 100% should have been a catch.

20 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Good luck with that, that's McD's direction and a critical part of his short Complementary Football MO.

22 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It was a perfectly fine deep ball.