Dawson Knox: 3 receptions in 5 games. $8.5M salary.

Einstein

On 10/8/2024 at 12:12 PM, dorquemada said:

given how awful the play of the OL is we absolutely need knox in there.  in fact if all we're going to do is run the ball and pass 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage why not just have 4 TEs in.  QB/RB, 5xOL, 4xTE.  It's the perfect formation to run the ball all day long which is what McD dreams of

I don’t think that the OL was as good as they seemed last year and I don’t think they are as bad as they look this year. The offense has been designed for Allen to get the ball quickly most of the time. That helped the OL look good since they usually didn’t have to block for that long. This season our receivers aren’t getting open quickly so Allen has been holding onto the ball longer. Pass blocking can only hold up so long against NFL defenses. The situation is made worse by teams playing more man coverage and sending blitzers. The Bills need to add some real WR help before Allen takes much more punishment. He’s a big, tough dude, but so are most NFL defensive players. It’s already taking a toll on him. 

Edited by BarleyNY

On 10/6/2024 at 5:53 PM, Bangarang said:

I thought his contract would only make sense if his usage increased and he maintained his TD production.

Then Beane drafted Kincaid in the 1st and Knox has become an afterthought. 

Paying Knox and then immediately drafting his replacement was such a horrible use of resources by Beane. 

it wasn’t supposed to be his replacement, this was supposed to be a 12 personnel team and both would get a lot of touches.. then Brady happened.  Now nobody touches the ball.

6 hours ago, Sweats said:

I really wish Brady knew how to utilize the 12 personnel and get both TE's involved more.

It doesn’t seem like it should be so difficult, especially when you have major question marks at the receiver position. 

48 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

it wasn’t supposed to be his replacement, this was supposed to be a 12 personnel team and both would get a lot of touches.. then Brady happened.  Now nobody touches the ball.

Was it ever directly stated that was the plan? I like the idea, but I’m just curious if it was mentioned by the team. I thought the Kincaid choice was just a best player available decision, and we’ll worry about Knox later. 

3 receptions in 5 games but also only 5 targets in 5 games. He's obviously overpaid compared to his production. But it seems more an issue of getting him involved than what he does with his targets. That's coaching.

If we were going to make any changes - and I'm not sure we need to make changes at 3-2 - I would say fire McDermott and bring in Belichick. Shakir, Knox, and Kincaid may be our 3 best receiving options. Maybe Coleman. But Belichick had success with Hernandez, Gronk, and Welker. Knox, Kincaid, and Shakir are obviously not as good players but could be used similarly.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

It doesn’t seem like it should be so difficult, especially when you have major question marks at the receiver position. 

Was it ever directly stated that was the plan? I like the idea, but I’m just curious if it was mentioned by the team. I thought the Kincaid choice was just a best player available decision, and we’ll worry about Knox later. 

I have never seen any team come right out and tell you their plans, but Dorsey ran 12 quite a bit.  They still have the personnel for it, but it’s like Brady doesn’t know it.   It’s criminal how few looks the TEs are getting when you have a top 5 TE DUO in the league and a bottom 3 WR room.

15 hours ago, paulmm3 said:

3 receptions in 5 games but also only 5 targets in 5 games. He's obviously overpaid compared to his production. But it seems more an issue of getting him involved than what he does with his targets. That's coaching.

If we were going to make any changes - and I'm not sure we need to make changes at 3-2 - I would say fire McDermott and bring in Belichick. Shakir, Knox, and Kincaid may be our 3 best receiving options. Maybe Coleman. But Belichick had success with Hernandez, Gronk, and Welker. Knox, Kincaid, and Shakir are obviously not as good players but could be used similarly.

I wish.

• Like (+1) 1