How was Josh able to finish the game with a concussion?

12 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Being knocked out does not equal being concussed. When did that become an assumption?

Wait. What?!?! 

I thought getting knocked out was always a concussion. Like for real not being a smart a$$

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Breakout Squad said:

Wait. What?!?! 

I thought getting knocked out was always a concussion. Like for real not being a smart a$$

"One of the biggest issues with the management and recovery of concussion is the fact that it can be so hard to identify. Many people assume that you can only get a concussion if you’re knocked unconscious. But while getting knocked-out can be a sign of concussion, it only happens in less than 10 percent of cases."

https://concussion.org/news/do-you-have-concussion/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, 34-78-83 said:

"One of the biggest issues with the management and recovery of concussion is the fact that it can be so hard to identify. Many people assume that you can only get a concussion if you’re knocked unconscious. But while getting knocked-out can be a sign of concussion, it only happens in less than 10 percent of cases."

https://concussion.org/news/do-you-have-concussion/

I think you have this backwards. 

only 10 percent of the time a concussion will result in someone getting knocked out. 

more often than not. I’d say like 99.9% of the time a blow to the head resulting in a KO will have a concussion diagnosis. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm not saying you're wrong because I think he was concussed.  However, have you ever gotten the wind knocked out of you?  You can't move.

I have.  It's not what we see in that clip.

12 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s football. This is what I expect from football players. Do whatever it takes for the team. Josh knew the team needed him.

The Bills coaching staff, training staff, doctors, and whoever the independent doctor was failed Josh Allen. He shouldn’t have been allowed back in the game

Let's not forget that if Josh was out, HE doesn't know. Let's say he was out for 3 seconds. Not saying he was out, but say he was out for 3 seconds. Well, to him he has no recollection of these 3 seconds at all. They never happened for him. Hence why you can't rely on the player, toughness or not. 

• Like (+1) 1

this may have been posted before but here it is again just in case.  Allen absolutely had/has a concussion here.

I personally thought Allen got a concussion on the trick play in Baltimore (I’m pretty sure that’s when he got smacked to the ground).  He ran off the field and was never evaluated.  But I am fairly certain that’s 2 in 2 weeks

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I think you have this backwards. 

only 10 percent of the time a concussion will result in someone getting knocked out. 

more often than not. I’d say like 99.9% of the time a blow to the head resulting in a KO will have a concussion diagnosis. 

Oh hmm I guess my bad then. I was told by medical people I know that many who get knocked out do not exhibit any signs of a concussion, and thus are not diagnosed with one.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I have.  It's not what we see in that clip.

Yeah.  If I was a Fins fan I'd be kind of ticked off right now.  If that happened in a Prime Time game it would be more of a story.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

we all saw the video, including you doc.  no need to ask Josh what the video plainly shows us.

No need to ask him what he meant?  OK.

29 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

One cannot be knocked out without suffering a concussion.  

I have a little more faith in the Bills than to let their franchise QB continue to play if he suffered a concussion, much less was rendered unconscious by it.  Much less put him out there for the post game presser.

Because he didn't have a concussion. Simple. Players hit their head like that all the time. Sometimes they result in concussions and sometimes they are nothing. It just depends on how you hit. Sometimes smaller hits result in concussions. Sometimes bigger hits don't. It's not just about the initial force. There are tons of other things that come into play.

Josh stayed down because he was hurt in other areas. I thought it was a shoulder at first because he landed so hard on it. But he said it was his ankle and chest. His ankle rolled for sure, and I'm not surprised about his chest because his torso landed so hard. Super glad he didn't break a collarbone or something.

2 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

He wasn't knocked out. That is a load of crap.

Well he had to be cleared by both an independent neurologist and team doctors and the fact it was done so quickly makes it pretty clear he wants concussed.

Didn't seem concussed post game in the interview either.

2 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

This is not true. I got knocked out after a helmet to helmet hit and crumpled to the turf. Woke up with the training staff around me. No concussion. My brother is on this board and was the water boy that day. He’ll verify.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bills742 said:

I was thinking they may come out and say he's in concussion protocol today but McD only mentioned Taron Johnson and Rapp regarding injuries during his press conference. 

Speaking of Rapp, remember when McD put him back into the Ravens game after he suffered a concussion?  Yeah, neither do I...

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2

On 10/6/2024 at 5:26 PM, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

It was pretty clear that when his head hit the ground on the sack he got a concussion. 

It's the NFLs concussion protocol a joke ?

You're right, he seemed to be out cold for a couple seconds. He never should have finished that game, and shame on McDermott for letting him go back in. McDermott was negligent, and should be disciplined by the league. He messed with out franchise by putting Josh back in. 

• Like (+1) 1