How was Josh able to finish the game with a concussion?

It’s football. This is what I expect from football players. Do whatever it takes for the team. Josh knew the team needed him.

The Bills coaching staff, training staff, doctors, and whoever the independent doctor was failed Josh Allen. He shouldn’t have been allowed back in the game. 

48 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Pretty sure it was a NFL assigned neurologist that cleared him, not a team doctor. 

I think it's the head team physician that makes the final decision of whether to put him back in the game with input of the unaffiliated neurologist.

10 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Because people suffering from concussions are known for their quick thinking skills

They know concussion means they are done so yes they do this.  

7 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Bills staff offered Josh smelling salts before he went back into the game, not sure how that would help with a chest injury. I’m surprised how many take this independent neurologist thing seriously. The league wants their stars in the game. You think they’d take Mahomes out of a Super Bowl for a concussion? Give me a break, it isn’t happening. 

They did?  Edit yes they did just saw it. lol this will become a thing this week. 

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

Pretty sure it was a NFL assigned neurologist that cleared him, not a team doctor. 

The problem is it is a very imperfect system.  Alll he can do is ask questions. Observe  the patient and compare to his baseline which you can pass even with a concussion.  

10 hours ago, mrags said:

You missed my joke. But in seriousness, he came to quickly after he got up and seemed fine. Was walking and running on the sideline pretty well. Tua is still wobbling from his concussion weeks ago. That’s the difference imo. 

They asked him where he was and he said “Kansas City.  Playoff game.  13 seconds.”   They said it was Houston 32 seconds but you’re close enough.

• Haha (+1) 7

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The problem is it is a very imperfect system.  Alll he can do is ask questions. Observe  the patient and compare to his baseline which you can pass even with a concussion.  

I can’t say with certainty that Josh had a concussion, but it doesn’t seem like everyone understands. Concussions don’t necessarily mean you completely lose the ability to function mentally for an extended period of time. Not all concussions are the same, and not every person is the same. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, pigpen65 said:

Dolphins were saying the same thing about Tua last year. A week later he was on his back posturing. Fast forward to this year and he can no longer take any kind of contact to his head without dropping like a brick. It's just common sense when dealing with brain trauma to not ignore it like nothing happened.

What part of he was cleared by an independent neurologist and did not have a concussion are you not understanding? 

Not every head injury leads to a concussion. 

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I think it's the head team physician that makes the final decision of whether to put him back in the game with input of the unaffiliated neurologist.

Not with head injuries. 

There is an independent neurologist who makes the call on head injuries.  That doctor is unaffiliated with the team. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

What part of he was cleared by an independent neurologist and did not have a concussion are you not understanding? 

Not every head injury leads to a concussion. 

Not with head injuries. 

There is an independent neurologist who makes the call on head injuries.  That doctor is unaffiliated with the team. 

So you believe Tua also didn’t have a concussion because he also passed the test from an independent neurologist. 

• Like (+1) 3

It sure looked like a concussion to me.  That was old school to give him smelling salts and send him back in the game.  I think it will be looked at this week by the league.  For Allen to come out in the post game presser and say yeah it was my chest and an ankle..  Ok, Josh.

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He could be heard saying it was his chest, not head.  Just cuz you hit your head doesn’t mean you get a concussion.  

This. He was kicking his feet in pain the moment he went down. There was never a moment of being concussed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

It was pretty clear that when his head hit the ground on the sack he got a concussion. 

It's the NFLs concussion protocol a joke ?

Yes,

he was out for a couple of seconds, no doubt.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Not with head injuries. 

I think there are both...the independent neurologist can pull him but even if he does not the team can make that decision if they wanted.

14 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

It was pretty clear that when his head hit the ground on the sack he got a concussion. 

It's the NFLs concussion protocol a joke ?

umm, huh??

A joke?

You could tell, from home, about a player on the field, that he has a concussion?  It looked bad, and likely hurt, and maybe was a concussion, but YOU could definitively determine this was "pretty clear" from your couch last night??

Could you clarify this, your reasoning, or just trolling here, a joke, maybe?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

This. He was kicking his feet in pain the moment he went down. There was never a moment of being concussed.

I have oceanfront property in Vegas to sell you if you truly believe this. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

He didn't. They changed the rule to an independent dr because of Tua

I dont think that is true, the independent neurologist was in place for Tua's concussions.  But they did tweek the protocol to inlcude ataxia as a no-go....

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-nflpa-agree-to-modify-concussion-protocols-following-completion-of-tua-tagov

1 minute ago, Mister Defense said:

umm, huh??

A joke?

You could tell, from home, about a player on the field, that he has a concussion?  It looked bad, and likely hurt, and maybe was a concussion, but YOU could definitively determine this was "pretty clear" from your couch last night??

Could you clarify this, your reasoning, or just trolling here, a joke, maybe?

Funny, this whole board was positive Tua had a concussion from their couches and that was accepted.

• Like (+1) 1

The throwing of the football while Josh is scrambling right as he's falling or being tackled to just get rid of the ball is a tough way to make a living... it's nearly impossible to protect his right shoulder and head from the impact.  He's completely vulnerable doing that and it's happened a few times in the Ravens/Texans games.

• Like (+1) 1